Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:46 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Ok segadreamcaster sorry for more questions (I've probably asked them before) Mr. Green

- I live in the uk
- I can only get PAL saturns atm.

Now what do i need to get to get started?

I know that to play other region games (netlink games) I will need a region cart/chip.
However the cart section will have the modem in so thats not possible.
So where can i get a chip?

I will be playing the saturn from a VGA monitor or a 50hrtz TV, is that ok?

Any info would be appreciated Smile

(also any links to where i can get netlink games, apart form ebay)

cheers, lozz.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:30 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok, well if you are going to use a PAL saturn you have 2 options:

Option 1:

You purchase a saturn mod-chip, which will allow you to play copied games, you could then obtain the games, and use a saturn region changer to burn copies of each game that will then be in PAL format...with the mod chip installed you would then be able to run these copies with your netlink modem installed Smile

Option 2:

You could install a region switch, which would allow you to swap between UK, PAL and possibly JP if you wanted to, this would then allow you to run original games, although the installation of the switch is more complicated than the mod chip, plus I would advise you to install a 50/60hz switch as 60hz is much better if supported by your display Smile There is actually a home made chip you can put together to play other region games, instead of using the switch method...although when I tried this I found it to be very unreliable and gave up on it...so I cannot personally recommend it.

Blast and I have adopted, "option 2" and is the best option in my opinion as its an overall more flexible option, allowing the use of all US games as well as normal PAL UK games, however it does require a bit of experience with soldering etc.

You can get a V2 modchip here: http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/saturn/saturn.htm

never tried using a saturn on a monitor, although if a connection is available im sure it will be fine, a 50hz TV will also be fine, although you may be at a slight disadvantage with the lower refresh rate when playing online, but it should be minimal.

Sadly, it is quite a time consuming and complicated process to get it all working in the UK, which is probably why very few people have actually done it, however if you do decide to embark on it I will help where I can.

As for where to buy games, I know of nowhere other than ebay, although you could possibly download them if you decide to get a modchip

Let me know if you need more info

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:17 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
ah thanks for the info.
I have a few more q's.

-Won't a mod chip allow me to play other region games? or will it only allow copied games?
-where can i get one.
-any links to netlink games download?
-where can i get a saturn region changer? (for the downloaded games)

cheers, lozz.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:14 pm
quote : #4
Hi,

-Won't a mod chip allow me to play other region games? or will it only allow copied games?

No, sadly there is (as far as I know) no commercially available mod chip to run imports, the only one available is to run copies. However, you can make up your own chip, which acts as a region modchip, however as I have said before, my personal experience is that it is unreliable and pretty fiddly to put together.

-where can i get one?

I did actually put a link in my previous post to a site I can personally recommend for the Saturn V2 modchip, here it is:

http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/saturn/saturn.htm

-any links to netlink games download?

The best place to go is file sharing communities such as Emule or use torrents by installing a torrent client such as Bittorrent, I know of nowhere you could directly download any of the games. Also note that some of the games have multiple version, netlink and non netlink, so be aware of this and make sure you download the correct versions.

-where can i get a saturn region changer? (for the downloaded games)

http://madroms.free.fr/#SRP

Don't ask me how you use it as I have never used it myself, although im sure its fairly straight forward Smile

Hope all this helps, feel free to ask as many questions as you like as I am more than happy to help where I can, especially if it means the possibilty on another UK netlinker...don't suppose you get free national calls do you? That would give me even more motivation...lol Very Happy

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:59 pm
quote : #5
The easiest cheapest way to boot imports on a saturn is to get a import boot cart. Either an Action Replay cart, or a simple ST-Key convertor. The catch is, that the 3rd party memory expansion carts / import carts like the ST-Key have a thick chip in them. So they tend to spread out the contacts on the cart slot. It's best to leave it in the system and never remove it if you plan to play a lot of imports on the system.

But this is the easiest solution to booting imports.
Posted:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:17 am
quote : #6
Yeah, very true but that is not an option when you want to use the netlink modem Sad which is what lozz is trying to do. I think this conversation started in the netlink thread didn't it, and was moved to the more general subject of "booting imports"? I guess this is why it's a little out on context.

However, yeah for general purposes the easiest and cheapest solution is an import cart Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:28 am
quote : #7
I have a chip installed and I also own the cart. The chip is much better coz U can play PAL (originals) games on 60 Hz! About vga --- never heared that you can run it that way. Can the saturn show 640x480 resolutions???
Posted:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:10 am
quote : #8
grubensau wrote:
I have a chip installed and I also own the cart. The chip is much better coz U can play PAL (originals) games on 60 Hz! About vga --- never heared that you can run it that way. Can the saturn show 640x480 resolutions???

What chip are you using to run PAL games on your NTSC saturn then, is it the home made type? That is the only one that I know of? I did try this option myself on a PAL saturn, but as I have previously said the results were unreliable, so I just gave up and used the switch method instead, one for region and another for 50/60hz.

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:47 am
quote : #9
http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/product_info.php/products_id/8386/cPath/30_37_46/saturn/umbau-sega-satur n-language-/-50/60hz.html

Thats what I have in my PAL saturn - the ntsc saturn which I have also special for netlink gaming is using a cart. Maybe its not a chip inside my pal saturn - so its my fault (seems my engl. is 2 bad for a technical talk Razz)
Anyway would you explain me how the netlink setup works - coz maybe Im able 2 play you guys from the UK via netlink.
Posted:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:56 am
quote : #10
Ok, no probs...lol...seems we confused each other there Smile

Ok, netlink

You already have a US NTSC saturn then? If so then you have less to do, all you need is the netlink games, a saturn keyboard or keyboard adapter and of course a netlink modem....what do you have so far, just a US NTSC saturn?

The netlink works by direct dial, just like a standard telephone call, so one person dials the other saturn with the agreed game loaded and the other saturn pick up the call automatically...it's really pretty simple once setup Smile

Has that helped at all?

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:05 am
quote : #11
I have a jp. saturn, the modem and some games. I ll look into the setup at the weekend - so Im sure then I ll have more questions. I was wondering where I put all the infos about my own line and the line from the other. So no webbrowser needed?
Posted:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:39 am
quote : #12
Ah ok you have a Japanese NTSC saturn? Does that mean you have the Japanese netlink, or should I say "Xband modem"? The one with the card slot? Or do you have the US Netlink modem?

The reason I ask is because as far as I am aware it is not possible to use the Japanese (Xband) modem with the US netlink games, although I have never tried this myself so I cannot confirm it, but I think the Japanese modem is now completly un-useable.

As for where you enter the details.....No you do not need a web browser to be able to use the netlink for direct netlink play, as you can enter the other persons phone number (as well as any other details such as a taunt) directly via the game. The netlink part of the game is only launched when the saturn is booted with the netlink modem inserted, which is why you may not have seen it in the past.

Obviously, if you wanted to try browsing the net on the Saturn, you would need a web browser.

Keep asking Smile

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:13 pm
quote : #13
Type: Pal
segadreamcaster wrote:

Keep asking Smile

Cheers, Craig

Ohh woe is me, all me chickens as got green foot disease. Help me please ohh great one.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:41 am
quote : #14
I suggest you give them all some tender loving care and they will surely be ok Smile

The great one is at your service Very Happy

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer