Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:17 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Great Research jesus.arnold. Many of your conclusions are spot on, especially the one about framerate differences.

However there are 2 parts where each version cancels each other out:

1.) Networking - While the Dreamcast version had online, the PS2 version has I.LINK support for local networking. The Dreamcast version is now offline with no way to network the game, however since the PS2 version's network features were solely independent of corporate control, anyone can setup some locally networked UT sessions on the PS2.

2.) Controls - Yes having to press up on the d-pad during battle is a pain. However for analog aiming on the PS2 it only maps 4 directions, and not 8.
Posted:
Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 am
quote : #17
damn, i forgot about the networking, knew i was gonna miss something Sad

where it comes to controls though, i really couldn't give it to Dreamcast, I literally don't use second function at all, everytime i'm in a big firefight, no matter how hard i try i end up changing to impact hammer by accident and get killed, it's nice to learn about the accuracy being higher on the DC version though

I would also like to say, i was really surprised about the results myself, i expected the PS2 version to be the superior version, i just wanted to see how much superior it was. In actual fact i think that the Dreamcast version is the better out of the two.
Posted:
Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:12 pm
quote : #18
Actually the secondary fire works on the Dreamcast pretty good, as long as you are using the full aim with the analog setup. Then you can still run and strafe will using the secondary fire. If you are using the criss-cross GoldenEye scheme, then you will have to let go of the analog stick to fire the secondary shot, thus causing your player to stop dead in his tracks. The secondary fire is useless in the GoldenEye control scheme.
Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:28 pm
quote : #19
The only advantage I would be concerned with is the controller. To me the PS2 controller is by far the best controller for a FPS (besides a mouse and keyboard that is). Otherwise the Dreamcast version pwns....who cares if there's like 2 extra characters to play as?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:38 pm
quote : #20
HoboJoe wrote:
The only advantage I would be concerned with is the controller. To me the PS2 controller is by far the best controller for a FPS (besides a mouse and keyboard that is). Otherwise the Dreamcast version pwns....who cares if there's like 2 extra characters to play as?

See my 2nd reply in this thread for details on the PS2's controller performance.
Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:56 pm
quote : #21
Well I never said it was the best controller for Q3. Very Happy However for the most part....except for a handful of games, I still prefer the PS2 controller over the DC one for FPS's.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon May 19, 2008 10:50 am
quote : #22
Type: PAL
So the DC version doesn't allow you to use KB and Mouse?
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Mon May 19, 2008 10:54 am
quote : #23
lozz wrote:
the DC version does indeed have KB and mouse support.
Posted:
Tue May 20, 2008 11:21 am
quote : #24
gary_b wrote:
lozz wrote:
the DC version does indeed have KB and mouse support.

The convenience with the PS2 version is that you can use regular USB mice and keyboards, while with the DC version limits you to either official accessories or adapters for PS/2 (the connector used for older mice and keyboards, not to be confused with the Playstation2) mice and keyboards.
Posted:
Sat May 24, 2008 7:42 am
quote : #25
You can use usb mouse and kb ---> there is a ps2 to usb adapter - this is nothing special!
Posted:
Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:29 am
quote : #26
It is really hard to really read this through. But that could've been just for support and not hardware advantages(my opinion). It's been a long time since i played UT for PS2 using controller since I have direct access to my USB KB and Mouse. Too bad i never had the chance to play UT for DC though to get a true taste of UT goodness from a DC.
Posted:
Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:52 pm
quote : #27
Type: PAL
I've tested the PS2 version and DC version and i can say the PS2 version is better in every think (maps graphics , characters ,frame rate) and it's possible to use usb KB and mouce in ps2 version ,the only advantage of DC version was online play Crying or Very sad

***************************** PS2*************** DC
Graphics ...............................X
Sound & Music ...................X
Number of Characters........X
Number of Maps..................X
FPS.......................................X
USB KB / mouce..................X************ Only Official
Posted:
Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:27 am
quote : #28
Originally Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:48 pm

NB-DanTE some of your information is not accurate. The PS2 version has has 43 maps, whereas the Dreamcast version has 69 maps.

There is no difference between using a USB setup on the PS2 versus the Dreamcast's Mouse and Keyboard or converters.

The Music is the same on each version. As far as sound quality, the differences are minimal. Due to the different sound compression codecs on each platform.

NEW INFO (Dec 03, 2008)

I finally did a test on the PS2 versions framerate. It is actually locked at 30fps, but in some maps can dip below that like on Tempest. However in most maps it stays solid on 30. I am certain if this was lifted the PS2 could be running this game most of the time at high framerates. So, this is a big difference here between the DC and PS2 versions. The Dreamcast one has a variable framerate where it can fluctuate depending on the map you are playing. Personally, I prefer the fluctuation rather than the framerate lock.

So the two main advantages that the PS2 version has are higher poly player models (even than the PC version), and I.LINK local networking support. The Dreamcast version is the the best between the two, though the PS2 version is still worth owning if you plan to do I.LINK locally with a friend.
Posted:
Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 pm
quote : #29
Type: NTSC-U
can someone clarify for me what assault mode consists of?

Douggie
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:38 pm
quote : #30
This may be wrong, but i got the feeling the auto aim box in the PS2 version is quite a bit larger... i particularly noticed on Overload (last assault map), that when i was in the towers sniping people on the beach i could headshot pretty much every time i shot, regardless of where the bots were. My friend was watching and found it hilarous, because it was clearly nowhere near where i was aiming.

Anyway i feel the discussion has been pretty much hammered out here so i'll leave it at that.

To answer peens question, Assault mode is where one team attacks a series of objectives (get to the gates, flick the three control room switches, kill the prisoner) and the other team defends it. When the attacking team wins (or the time runs out) the teams switch over. Fastest team wins. It's a brutal mode, and if im honest it was the one thing that kept me playing it on PC over DC (im mostly a console gamer - i had Quake 3 on PC but still played on DC). I still bought the DC version but mainly cos the splitscreen (2 players, at least) wasn't half bad Smile