Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:51 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
To any skeptics out there; do you think that if the Dreamcast had a bit of a longer lifespan (say 1 year), would SEGA have updated the DC controller to match the other next-gen controllers at the time? Would the design have changed? what about a 2nd analog stick? your thoughts on this.
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:23 pm
quote : #2
Update it designwise, possibly, but I don't think they'd add buttons or a second stick. Then either people would have to buy new controllers, or games would have to be programmed to be playable on both the old and new one.

A second stick would be useful though. My gf can't stand playing FPS on the DC (although she's not much of a fan for any console FPS)
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:09 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
If the Dreamcast had stayed in the commercial market, the controller issue might not have been a problem at all. Remember the Dreamcast featured Mouse and Keyboard support for all of its First Person Shooters. Had Half-Life been online, and other FPS's made it to the Dreamcast, it might have been all of the other consoles that followed the Dreamcast's lead and integrated mouse and keyboard support.

Sure I love a dual analog setup, but as far as control freedom a mouse and keyboard blows it away.
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:09 pm
quote : #4
mouse and keyboard may be better for playing your fps games but the dual analog sticks is so much more convenient for most people. like in my case where i have to set up my keyboard and mouse everytime i want to play quake 3 or some other fps because i have to store my mouse and keyboard away when im not using them to save space, but for a dual analog controller it is there with no setup required and almost no space required. dual analog controllers also help for the adventure games where you need to change the camera angle while still moving with the main analog stick.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:57 pm
quote : #5
mrandyk wrote:
mouse and keyboard may be better for playing your fps games but the dual analog sticks is so much more convenient for most people. like in my case where i have to set up my keyboard and mouse everytime i want to play quake 3 or some other fps because i have to store my mouse and keyboard away when im not using them to save space, but for a dual analog controller it is there with no setup required and almost no space required. dual analog controllers also help for the adventure games where you need to change the camera angle while still moving with the main analog stick.

We have tread over this same discussion in the Q3 forum many many times. I wasn't bringing up the mouse and keyboard to say which is better or that one isn't a viable option.

The point is that had a system used a mouse and keyboard as its standard and still been on the market, it could have effected whether or not other consoles took advantage of these control schemes or not.
Posted:
Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:21 am
quote : #6
I always found the Dreamcast pad FPS control closer to a keyboard and mouse than the current pads with 2 analogue sticks.

I mean using buttons A,B,X,Y for forward, back, left, right and the analogue for looking around seems more like the PC FPS keyboard and mouse.

The Dreamcast pad could have survived I guess, but for games like Rainbow Six, you'd need some way of chosing other commands (such as ordering your team mates and changing to thermal view) and there wouldn't be any free face buttons!

elph
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:14 pm
quote : #7
What I wouldn't give to be able to use a gamecube controller on the dreamcast...

If the controller were different, perhaps I might have bought a dreamcast during it's hay day. Good thought OP.

Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:08 pm
quote : #8
Maybe Sega would've taken a page from the Xbox and add something similar to the black/white buttons. Another thing I thought about that could have changed on the DC pad is swapping out that 2nd expansion slot for a built-in rumble feature, since the idea of separate rumble paks died out around the end of the N64's lifespan.
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:26 pm
quote : #9
However that would have put huge limitations on the system. That second slot wasn't just used for the rumble pack. There were games that used the headset, and thus forced you to move the memory card to slot 2.

Also, being able to store up to 8 memory on a single Dreamcast with 4 controllers plugged in is pretty cool. If you used 4x memory cards, you could have essentually 32 memory cards totaling 6400 blocks of memory space. It is like building your own little DC harddrive Smile
Posted:
Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:32 pm
quote : #10
Good point, I forgot about the mics, and possibly if it had a longer life, headsets. Still...I would think eventually that the jump paks would have been done away with over time anyway after seeing that Dreamcast would be the odd man out when it came to built-in rumble in the controller, and some DC owners may not feel the need to throw down $25 for the rumble effect.
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:48 pm
quote : #11
Nightmare a la DC wrote:
...possibly if it had a longer life, headsets.

if?

These games were released with voice support:

Dreamcall, Seaman, Alien Front Online, +more in Japan

So the issue of removing an entire slot from the Dreamcast controller simply to have dedicated rumble support already would have caused problems for the DC. Those slots are pretty important to the Dreamcast's versatility. The ability to pull out the rumble allowing more functions to be used is actually more desirable in my eyes than clogging it up with perminant intergrated rumble.
Posted:
Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:01 pm
quote : #12
Don't forget Mr. Driller... even if he drills whether you shout "drill" or "OMG THERE'S NO MORE OXYGEN - GET THE **** OUT!"

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:42 pm
quote : #13
Mr Driller used the Mic?
Posted:
Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:49 pm
quote : #14
It's more of an easter egg than an actual feature. If you plug in the mic and then play it, you're supposed to shout "drill" and he drills. Any loud noise works, though. Not the best use of the microphone, but still a neat feature.

Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:39 pm
quote : #15
I guess I figured that they'd maybe update the microphone and just create a full blown headset, like what Xbox Live users have, and then the makers of the newer pads could just add a small outlet for it to plug in to.