Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:53 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: Pal
Have an odd problem with my TV wonder if you can help. My TV wont show DC or PS2 pictures by scart Sad I have made sure all the connections are fine and have tried all the normal tricks i.e. switching off all other appliances and connecting only the DC or the PS2 to the TV but still no luck Sad I now have PS2 connected by RGB and it works fine. Cant try my DC via RGB as I cant find my cable Sad My last experimant was to connect a multi scart to one of my TV scart socket then my video and DC to the multi scart. The video worked and of course the DC didnt, so I proved it wasent scart cable being stretched as i thought it might be.

My DC is NTSC and PS2 is Pal but as they both dont work on scart cant see that being an issue. MY TV is an old flatscreen toshiba that was state of the art when it was bought by my bro a long time ago (8 years maybe).

Any ideas anyone? if not I may buy a S-video cable for my DC and or my PS2.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:59 am
quote : #2
Blast - sorry I would try 2 help you out, but I understand only the half. The rgb signal normaly comes out a scart hole. So what you mean - you have no picture via scart??? You said ur PS2 worked fine via a rgb cable.
Posted:
Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:13 pm
quote : #3
grubensau wrote:
Blast - sorry I would try 2 help you out, but I understand only the half. The rgb signal normaly comes out a scart hole. So what you mean - you have no picture via scart??? You said ur PS2 worked fine via a rgb cable.

My PS2 works when it is plugged into the front of the TV with a connection that ends like this

My Saturn works like this also.

However my DC and PS2 wont show a picture when using a scart cable.

Hope that helps.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:00 pm
quote : #4
That's not an RGB cable. It's an RCA cable. RGB is only on SCART. Chances are your cables are already RGB... Do your TV have multiple SCART slots? If so try another one. The DC RGB SCART doesn't carry a composite signal (the same kinda signal as RCA cable), so it won't work on non-RGB SCART (ok, I'm officially fed up with capital letters now)

though the ps2 should give you a (inferior) composite signal if the scart slot doesn't have rgb
Posted:
Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:43 pm
quote : #5
Well like the other told you - this isnt a RGB cable - thats a normal video cable (poor pic quality) - I call it chinch cable.

Did you connected your units via that cable and a scart adapter and got no pic?
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:42 am
quote : #6
grubensau wrote:
Well like the other told you - this isnt a RGB cable - thats a normal video cable (poor pic quality) - I call it chinch cable.

Did you connected your units via that cable and a scart adapter and got no pic?

Yes I have an RCA to scart converter but not sure if I tried it as I have a ps2 scart so not a lot of point. Will give it a go later.

Sorry but I dont understand about the differnt signals Sad All I know is on all my past TV's old and new I have got a picture no matter what connection type I have used, now this TV wont show consoles via scart. Everything else via scart i.e. video, dvd, video camera, cable box all work with no problem.

This

Blast wrote:
My last experimant was to connect a multi scart to one of my TV scart socket then my video and DC to the multi scart. The video worked and of course the DC didnt

Proves its not a scart socket issue phredreeke.

Hmm still a mystery.

Thanks for the help so far.

Laters
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:13 am
quote : #7
Well Blast my guess is --- your tv doesnt support 60 hz ntsc signal. Thats why you dont get a signal with your ntsc dc. I ll test my ntsc dc on my 100 hz tv (it doesnt support ntsc - 60hz) with an real rgb cable (scart form - all pins). Maybe that helps if your tv shows rgb signals - but my guess is that will end with a black and white pic.

Blast show a pic of the dc cable which you used.
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:15 am
quote : #8
grubensau wrote:
Well Blast my guess is --- your tv doesnt support 60 hz ntsc signal. Thats why you dont get a signal with your ntsc dc. I ll test my ntsc dc on my 100 hz tv (it doesnt support ntsc - 60hz) with an real rgb cable (scart form - all pins).

Curiously, the DC RGB cable doesn't have all pins, only eight Mr. Green

grubensau wrote:
Maybe that helps if your tv shows rgb signals - but my guess is that will end with a black and white pic.

RGB never gives you a black and white pic (unless that's what's intended of course, like an old movie for example) as long as the TV supports it. My living room tv still gives a color picture on 60hz with DC on RGB cable, even though it's rolling cause the TV is 50 hz only.

grubensau wrote:
Blast show a pic of the dc cable which you used.

I agree, that could be useful.
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:08 pm
quote : #9
@ phredreeke - please notice Im german - so a technical talk is a big harder for me then for you. So you dont need 2 laugh Smile -- your reply isnt a help for blasts problem. RGB is normaly 9 pins - I never counted the pins on the dc-rgb cable.

I said full pins because - maybe blast is using a simple scart adapter with only 3 pins - thats not rgb - thats only normal video and audio. Scart means only the form of the connection. In that way he only gets a normal video signal 60 Hz and that cant be showed on a 50 or 100 Hz tv without 60 hz support.
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:21 pm
quote : #10
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not making fun of you. Sorry if you took it that way. The reason I brought it up was that I was surprised myself when I checked my cable and noticed it didn't have all pins.
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:40 pm
quote : #11
Try an S-Video cable ?. Via a Scart adaptor if your set hasn't got an s-video input.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:38 pm
quote : #12
Its blasts b-day --- maybe he got a new tv Razz
Posted:
Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:32 pm
quote : #13
grubensau wrote:
Its blasts b-day --- maybe he got a new tv Razz

I should be so lucky Laughing but in fact there is a small TV that is new to the house but its going in the back room next to this PC I am typing on all ready for when I have PS2 online sorted out Smile

I can post a copy of the DC scart lead I used if you want but its just a standard DC scart like Phredreeke said it does not have a full set of pins. If it still helps let me know and I will sort a picture out Very Happy

Laters