Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:47 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
i know a lot of people like this game but to me it lacks combos and seems to be a shabby fighter. after playing games like soul calibur and dead or alive2. i didnt give this game much of a chance to change my mind. can any of you guys tell me what makes this game good to you. and if the combos exist and are just hard to master?

Last edited by gary_b on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:48 pm
quote : #2
The Virtua Fighter franchise is considered the most technical fighting game series in existance. This is why many consider it to be so good. Every character in Virtua Fighter has their own unique martial arts fighting style and is specifically based on an actual style with realistic moves.

There are no super moves in this game, and there are no weapons or fireball attacks. It is all realistic martial arts. Yes you can do combos, however you don't see a thing on the screen that says "2 hit combo" or something.

Here are what VF3 combos look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psk7FKXonV8

Virtua Fighter's home port to the Dreamcast is a representation of technology that was a step back from the Dreamcast's hardware capabilities. There are quite a few games that were ported to the Dreamcast from Sega's MODEL arcade hardware board. This was what they were using before they unleashed the NAOMI in arcades. VF3:TB was a MODEL 3 STEP 1.0 game. Not only this, but it was ported to the Dreamcast by GENKI, rather than SegaAM2 themselves. The game still ended up on the Dreamcast just fine, since GENKI is a japanese developer with solid production standards. But its important to realise that VF3 on the Dreamcast doesn't take full advantage of the DC. In reality, the Dreamcast should have, and would have gotten Virtua Fighter 4. VF4 was a NAOMI 2 game, so Sega could have clearly gotten that to run on the Dreamcast with some optimization.

This doesn't make VF3 any less of an accomplishment as far as technology goes. This game was first released in Arcades back in 1996. Here is a video showing off what Virtua Fighter 3 can do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9IkfEWwNAM

This technology was being done way back in 1996. Impressive physics like Realistic Cloth movement, which many people marvel at today on newer game consoles, sega was doing this over 11 years ago. Also the game was actually released in 1996. Which means they had all of this stuff working behind the scenes a year or more before it came out.

There are fighting games, and then there is Virtua Fighter. It really is in a league of its own.
Posted:
Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:10 pm
quote : #3
thanks for the video links. i do own the game and it looks aged. i didnt know it was a older game ported to the DC that explains a lot. as for combos i got some to work its just that they seem week for a video game. this does make it seem more real though. no 10 or 20 hit combos could be a good thing lol. the biggest thing that truns me off about it is that the combos didnt do much damage and i felt like i was doing the same thing over and over again. punch or chop kick kick. nothing awsome looking. how ever i didnt give the game much of a chance. so maybe i should revisit it and atempt some of the combos and moves i seen on the videos. i never was a big fan of shooting fire balls or any of that .the one exception is i did like subzeros freeze move back in the day. but now days i think that kinda thing is over used and boring

btw what does the TB in 3tb stand for?
Posted:
Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:46 pm
quote : #4
Virtua Fighter games have a high learning curve. It isn't like DOA or Soul Calibur where can just pick up and play it, and start pulling off all of this stuff. VF is a game all about precision moves. I must stress that when I am comparing Virtua Fighter 3 to say DOA2 or Soul Calibur, or even 2D fighting games from SNK or Capcom, I am not trying to say one is better than the other. Virtua Fighter is just different from other fighting games.

The combos in VF are simply sequential moves. They are not really combos or designed to deal more damage than the moves as stand alone.

The TB stands for "Team Battle". Originally they released the game as just Virtua Fighter 3. Then about a year later they released Team Battle.

To get more into this game, start learning the characters moves, play the single player more, and if possible hook up with a human opponent for some VS matches. After this, it should start to sink in how good this game is.
Posted:
Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:26 pm
quote : #5
they do have a combo counter. if you go to training it shows it. it wont tell you the combos in a match though. at the moment im using Akira. im lost on how to do anything but a normal move. im smashing all kinds of buttons but it seems to do almost nothing. in the training mode it says what buttons i hit. so i thought button mashing would help me figure some thing out. ive seen maybe 3 dif things other than a normal punch of kick. i know he has more. can you tell me a few moves for a char. or point me to a site with some help.

thanks again nikon
Posted:
Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:15 pm
quote : #6
Type: PAL
VFs are great and unique, because in VF never a noob wins vs a pro in VF unlike Tekken or DOA ,and pushing the pad's boutons like crazy give you nothing Neutral and mastering all characters is dream .
To master a character in VF takes weeks and months playing vs CPU and human players ,this why this game is awesome

If you don't know Akira ( he's my favorite) is the hardest to master in VF , but he is a real killer Twisted Evil between a pro's hands

go to this link :http://virtuafighter.com/commands/ you can get all the moves of all VFs games
Posted:
Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:30 pm
quote : #7
Yea this is what is so daunting about Virtua Fighter. When you actually see a moves list.

gary_b go to the link NB-Dante provided, and then click on VF3, and Akira and just look at how long the list of moves is for him alone.

Virtua Fighter's moves arn't just a simply quarter circle, and variations on this over and ver like other fighters.

In Virtua Fighter they take every possible combination you can do with an arcade stick, and it becomes a different move. Like Forward+A, Forward+A while jumping, Forward+A+B, Forward+A then B, Forward+A Jump+B. It practically goes on till infinity and it is like this for every single character, and has gotten more complex from one Virtua Fighter game to another.
Posted:
Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 pm
quote : #8
gary_b wrote:
i know a lot of people like this game but to me it lacks combos and seems to be a shabby fighter. after playing games like soul calibur and dead or alive2. i didnt give this game much of a chance to change my mind. can any of you guys tell me what makes this game good to you. and if the combos exist and are just hard to master?

Pulling off any move with set conditions like Jeffrey's Iron claw for example along with doing the combination to pull it off I believe in TB your opponent must be crouching.

After playing for what seems like eternity and getting the hang of more than just punch, kick, throw knowing the time with the game has paid off.

While graphics are'nt everything and the polish may not have been up some standards, the games visuals are'nt a eyesore to me.
oh yeah and the Sumo wrestler Taka is ONLY in VF3TB.
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:21 am
quote : #9
thanks for the link NB ill try to master a few of them today
Posted:
Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:57 am
quote : #10
DaMan wrote:
While graphics are'nt everything and the polish may not have been up some standards, the games visuals are'nt a eyesore to me.

Yea I like Virtua Fighter 3's graphics. Even though the MODEL arcade hardware was a slight step back from the Dreamcast/NAOMI, it doesn't mean I don't like the visuals. I think MODEL games look great, and when you think about it there wasn't any other place the MODEL games could come out on. They were far too advanced for the Saturn, so the Dreamcast was the only place they could be released on.

The only thing I don't like in Virtua Fighter 3, is Kage's silver pants outfit. That is just horrible. Maybe they liked to show off the reflective texture but his lack of a belt, and the mesh shirt to silver pants makes it look very strange. I love every other visual in this game, but man his pants need to go.
Posted:
Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 pm
quote : #11
no DaMan its not a eye sore. it just dosnt look as nice as soul calibur or DOA2. and i think soul calibur was a launch title?

let me just say wow. this isnt easy. so far idk if i like how hard it is to pull moves off. if i got into this game hardcore i think id like it. but if i want friends to play they will be turned off realy fast if im kicking the crap out of them. and they cant do simple moves lol
Posted:
Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:49 pm
quote : #12
gary_b wrote:
let me just say wow. this isnt easy. so far idk if i like how hard it is to pull moves off. if i got into this game hardcore i think id like it. but if i want friends to play they will be turned off realy fast if im kicking the crap out of them. and they cant do simple moves lol

That is also the problem with pretty much every fighting game because button mashing battles are no fun in my opinion. The best is when each player is competing with intent and trying to pull off moves with legitimate strategy in mind.

The key to having a good play environment for fighters, and most definatly VF3 on Dreamcast, is to make printouts of the move lists and pass them out to your friends. Also always encourage that its okay to lose. There always has to be 1 winner, and 1 loser. Some players get really insecure, and feel the need to win ALL the time. Playing video games with these people is impossible, and playing VF3 with them is even more impossible. After a few matches they will never want to play it ever again. The key is to let people know its okay to lose, and then all hang out together playing to get better at the game.

Typically in a fighting game, the matches start to get good when each player is using defensive tactics just as much as offensive tactics.
Posted:
Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:39 pm
quote : #13
I haven't played many 3D fighters, but Virtual Fighter is the first game I've seen that gives you a first-person view. I thought that was cool. Maybe not as effective as a third-person side view, but still worth checking out.