rank 21
Posted:
Thu May 24, 2007 6:51 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1424/bing_there_done_that_eas_cco_.php

Quote:
You keep mentioning the Sega Genesis, and I felt it was a shame that EA ended up not supporting the Dreamcast.

WG: We lost confidence in Sega. With the Dreamcast, we told them two things: you should be an in-the-box online system, and you should use a 3D chip that we understand. They said, "We can't afford to be online, and we'll get back to you on the 3D chip." They ended up using an unusual, non-industry standard, not well-supported chip. It was something that nobody in EA had ever touched.

They knew we had no experience with it and no belief in it. Then with online, they said "no," then they said "maybe," then they said "no." They wobbled all over the place, and we lost confidence in them. At the same time, we knew that the PS2 was coming. I loved the Genesis. The Genesis was EA's first video game system that we supported, and you always remember your first.

Sega can't afford to be online? Dreamcast didn't get online play in 2000? Confused

nintendo_DS
rank 21
Posted:
Thu May 24, 2007 7:22 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
wasn't it a widespread belief and fact that the Dreamcast was the easiest system at the time to program, and I thought they were all along a full way to go for online out of the box, and they did have a 3-d chip
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu May 24, 2007 7:40 am
quote : #3
Developers need a year or so before a console comes out to start working on a title. Plus before this happens, companies are usually in talks to round up third party support. However, due to the fact that the Dreamcast was out in Japan by 1998 with a 56k modem, I have a hard time believing William "Bing" Gordon has his facts straight.

Remember there are a lot of industry professionals these days that look back on the Dreamcast days with a "stereotypical" eye. Note that the interviewer in that article makes no attempt to correct Bing. The Dreamcast was released with a built in Modem, and the Playstation 2 was not. Because of this glaring information I feel Bing is pulling historical memories out of thin air.

I don't know about you guys, but I am glad EA decided to not support the Dreamcast. I think their derivative lineup of licensed sports and movie games would have brought the down the entire Dreamcast game library in the US. I think people are so quick to wish EA had supported the DC because it might have extended the system's lifespan in the market. The reason I say this is because a lot of Dreamcast fans bring up a feeling of dissapointment about EA not supporting the Dreamcast, yet they don't really play EA titles on other systems within the same generation as the DC.

Within the niche Dreamcast community of today, you don't see a ton of Madden fans hanging around.
Posted:
Thu May 24, 2007 4:47 pm
quote : #4
I think that SEGA branded sports games were 5 times better than the EA games at the time. If there were EA racing games for it then, that might have helped. The dreamcast isn't too strong in racing games, some "good" racing games like Sega GT, are hard and anything 300+ horsepower will most likely go into a uncontrollable spin on a corner.
Posted:
Thu May 24, 2007 7:30 pm
quote : #5
I can't think of an EA developed/published game of that era that would have been worth purchasing for the DC.

Even if EA did support the DC, I would imagine the vast majority of games would have simply been ports of Playstation and N64 games.
rank 9
Posted:
Fri May 25, 2007 7:10 am
quote : #6
I wouldn't be surprised if EA didn't stand too high among the people here anyway, considering how they ignored the Dreamcast and repeatedly pulls PS2 titles offline.

nick944 wrote:
I think that SEGA branded sports games were 5 times better than the EA games at the time. If there were EA racing games for it then, that might have helped. The dreamcast isn't too strong in racing games, some "good" racing games like Sega GT, are hard and anything 300+ horsepower will most likely go into a uncontrollable spin on a corner.

HUH? There were plenty of good racers for Dreamcast. Confused
Posted:
Fri May 25, 2007 7:29 am
quote : #7

• 4 Wheel Thunder
  • 4x4 Evolution
  • Daytona USA
  • Ducati World Racing Challenge
  • F1 World Grand Prix
  • F355
  • Metropolis Street Racer
  • Monaco Grand Prix
  • Roadsters
  • Sega GT
  • Sega Rally
  • Sega Sports: Flag to Flag
  • Spirit of Speed 1937
  • Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing
  • Test Drive 6
  • Test Drive LeMans
  • Test Drive V Rally
  • Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 and 2
  • Vanishing Point

And that list is comprised of just the ones that I consider to be realistic driving sims. The one that I was surpised the most about was Flag to Flag. I had no idea it was made by Sega Sports, and it's a good game too, so I don't think that EA was missed in the racing genre.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri May 25, 2007 11:00 am
quote : #8
Yea nick944 opened a can of worms here with the Racing Games comment. The Dreamast has, without a doubt, one of the most impressive racing game catalogs. I want to avoid turning this into a thread talking about games on other consoles, so I will just say I don't think EA would have provided games matching or surpassing what was already released.
Posted:
Fri May 25, 2007 5:20 pm
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
I will just say I don't think EA would have provided games matching or surpassing what was already released.

A decent football/soccer game would have been nice for the DC. I know there were many Sega made footy game for it, but none of them were really to my taste.
rank 21
Posted:
Fri May 25, 2007 6:31 pm
quote : #10
mcmonkey wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
I will just say I don't think EA would have provided games matching or surpassing what was already released.

A decent football/soccer game would have been nice for the DC. I know there were many Sega made footy game for it, but none of them were really to my taste.

I'm probably the only Virtua Striker 2 fan Razz

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Fri May 25, 2007 8:09 pm
quote : #11
Dreamcast ™ wrote:

• 4 Wheel Thunder
  • 4x4 Evolution
  • Daytona USA
  • Ducati World Racing Challenge
  • F1 World Grand Prix
  • F355
  • Metropolis Street Racer
  • Monaco Grand Prix
  • Roadsters
  • Sega GT
  • Sega Rally
  • Sega Sports: Flag to Flag
  • Spirit of Speed 1937
  • Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing
  • Test Drive 6
  • Test Drive LeMans
  • Test Drive V Rally
  • Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 and 2
  • Vanishing Point

And that list is comprised of just the ones that I consider to be realistic driving sims. The one that I was surpised the most about was Flag to Flag. I had no idea it was made by Sega Sports, and it's a good game too, so I don't think that EA was missed in the racing genre.
The best racing game I've played on it was Test Drive Le Mans, but I would have loved to see Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed on dreamcast.
Posted:
Sat May 26, 2007 8:25 am
quote : #12
If you want to discuss DC racers, here's a good thread to do that in http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2394

Lets keep this thread for discussing EA's (lack of) support of the dreamcast like LordNikon said, okay?
Posted:
Sat May 26, 2007 12:03 pm
quote : #13
I know this I just wanted to say that I would've liked to see some of EA's racers on the dreamcast.
Posted:
Sat May 26, 2007 6:06 pm
quote : #14
yeah, i agree that EA's sports games were never really anything special, but for some reason they have always been better sellers than their higher rated counterparts, the absence of EA undoubtably lost the dreamcast a lot of potential sports fan customers. The guy in the article seems to be talking nonsence as far a i can see, from what i heard EA refused to make games for the dreamcast due to early retirement of the saturn, also i read in an article that not supporting the dreamcast actually cost them a lot of money and caused problems with their shareholders.
Posted:
Sun May 27, 2007 7:18 am
quote : #15
I hate EA games.
They just constantly release useless repeats year after year,
They never really come up with something adventureous or original.
I preffer videogame developers who will try crazy original ideas for games, which is a big risk to them,
However often an awesome game is produced.
I think the fact that sega were not afraid to produce crazy unique games is what i love.
Also on the sports side of things, I still prefer any sega sports game to an EA title.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now