Topic: Dragoncast not working

Page 1 of 2
Trance4c
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:37 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I am not able to get my DC's to communicate. I purchased a Dragoncast, does anyone know of these ever not working? I have both VOOT and F355, I have also an extra DC which I have switched out with both to double check the systems. The only issue I could possibly think is that I have one DC on a VGA box, the other DC is on a composite RCA hook up. I understand that the DC boots into a different resolution setup for the two settings, could this affect the games to synchronize and produce the inability to link?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:29 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Make sure both games are of the same region. NTSC-J does not work with NTSC-U. Syncing shouldn't be a problem. Serial synchronization isn't affected by the frequency the video is running at. They're two separate entities.

Trance4c
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:26 pm
quote : #3
How do I know if they are the same region? I assume they are, both F355's are from the US market. No burns or imports, I would imagine they are the same region.

I have as of yet to try VOOT though, but your right.. I set both DC's up on VGA's and that did not help.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:48 pm
quote : #4
On the US version you are innitiating the code to bring up the VS Cable multiplayer option right?

Let us know if VOOT ends up working or not.
Posted:
Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:07 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
On the US version you are innitiating the code to bring up the VS Cable multiplayer option right?

Let us know if VOOT ends up working or not.

Yes, I am innitiating the code to bring up the cable vs option.

Also, VOOT does not want to link either.. it will sit saying 'Checking Connection' and then both drop back to DNA/RNA selection like the connection was not made.

F355 is odd though, it seems one will go to a black screen and the music will continue the play, the other will go back to the selection screen and you will see the Cable Vs mode selection highlighted and flashing like it was selected and accepted, but then it just bumps back to the menu.

I have a feeling that something is honestly not right with the Dragoncast.. any idea's?

Also, I did see the label for NTSC-U on the back of all my discs, so I know region is not an issue.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:31 pm
quote : #6
I also fear it may be the link cable hardware itself. Doesn't sound good Embarassed
Posted:
Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:27 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
I also fear it may be the link cable hardware itself. Doesn't sound good Embarassed

Yep.. welp, I bought it from Lik-Sang.com which is now out of business, so returning it or warranty is out of the question. I'm interested in opening up the link cable box and checking it out, couldn't hurt at this point.

Is there anyone out there that can look at it? Possible run tests to check it? I have no clue, but its worth asking I figure.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:33 pm
quote : #8
I don't want to be out of line but... lol I bet DreamcastTM could take a look at it. He knows more about electronics than most around here. (Sorry not trying to shove you to the front of the line DreamcastTM) Laughing
Posted:
Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:44 pm
quote : #9
SSSShhugar. I ordered a japanese Voot to link with a US version. I'm presuming from this thread that it means i've focked up big style.

I do learn something new everyday. I'm a DUMBASS !

Actually i already knew that Crying or Very sad

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:28 pm
quote : #10
Well, actually owning both the US and Japanese version of the game is good. For starters the manual shows all types of network shots from what it was like when it was online. Although VERY small images. Just an extra heads up, the manual is THICK!!! Like 70+ pages!

Also, the Japanese version has a VOOT customizer as well. Plus there might be another feature I am forgetting.

The Japanese version is definatly worth owning.
Posted:
Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:24 pm
quote : #11
Thanks, you made me feel better about that Smile . Should be interesting comparing the two games. 70+ pages ? Well that's my bedtime reading sorted then.

Trance4c
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:17 am
quote : #12
Meh.. I went ahead and purchase another Dragoncast, we will find out shortly if it is just the cable.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:20 pm
quote : #13
Trance4c wrote:
Meh.. I went ahead and purchase another Dragoncast, we will find out shortly if it is just the cable.

Whooo dedication! Thats what I would have done. Sometimes its like "screw this, I need to know!". The question would be burning inside me for weeks on some things.
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:35 pm
quote : #14
It's definitely a compatibility issue. I had the very same problem. I have a NTSC-U (N. American) version I purchased and then downloaded a backup so I could test the cable. Unfortunately the backup was NTSC-J (Japan). I then made another copy of the backup and everything worked fine.

Hardware-wise, the serial is the same clock speed on both systems. I'm guessing there's some sort of region lock on the serial done through software verification. Kind of wierd.

Trance4c
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:27 pm
quote : #15
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
It's definitely a compatibility issue. I had the very same problem. I have a NTSC-U (N. American) version I purchased and then downloaded a backup so I could test the cable. Unfortunately the backup was NTSC-J (Japan). I then made another copy of the backup and everything worked fine.

Hardware-wise, the serial is the same clock speed on both systems. I'm guessing there's some sort of region lock on the serial done through software verification. Kind of wierd.

As I said before.. all copies are NTSC-U, there should be no region issues.