Page Location: Home > StarLancer > Topic
mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:22 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I cant do starlancer offline, i just cant get into it at all. I just dont find the single player gameplay has enough action to get me interested like the online deathmatches do.
Starwalker
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:04 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
I love both offline and online. I've finished the game 2 times now. I think it feels you are really with a squadron and fighting in real space heh, teammates talking with you, action , etc...I loved Wing Commander III and this game reminds me of it though is better playing but not as good story of course. I know probably some people don't like it because it may be a bit dificult in some missions. But I don't think is very hard.
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:18 am
quote : #3
its not that hard its just if you fail you have to wait forever to get back into the actual game since you spend a lot of the time at the begining of missions just sitting there waiting for enemies to come. i also find the people talking to you it just doesnt seem very natural to me, especially when the enemies start saying stuff they have like 3 different lines and thats it. ive got a lot of time on my hands today so ill try to go through some of the game today and possibly do the 4th level.
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:29 am
quote : #4
Those identical cutscenes which occur every 5 mins or so are among the most irritating pieces of gaming(sic sic sic) i think i have ever come across. The graphics and music are fantastic, although, compared to Bang Gunship Elite, there is no sense of speed ! It feels static and lifeless.

The FMV and ridiculously bad acting(i say acting, more 'high school play acting', certainly no 2001 Space Odyssey!!)throughout, ruin any sense of continuity or immersion.

I keep thinking "What's the point?", "Where is the Story ?", "What is the objective?"(ok the objective is shooting things *sighs*- Space invaders in 3d *sighs again and again and again ad infinitum...* )

Considering Elite is celebrating it's 25th? anniversary and Wing Commander it's 15th? I'd have thought Space Sims would have improved not regressed to this.

Maybe I'm being a tad harsh, but i feel the whole game is repetetive, annoying and boring.

The only thing that saves it is online play I guess.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:01 pm
quote : #5
Starwalker wrote:
I loved Wing Commander III and this game reminds me of it though is better playing but not as good story of course.

Well the Roberts bros did wing commander III so its not a wonder that you are fealing familar with star lancer (if only the story wouldnt be that senseless).
Posted:
Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:04 pm
quote : #6
I dont agree much. But the DC version is a stripped down version of the PC so theres not many (animated) cutscenes or onboard the main ship thing unfortunetly. So maybe it leaves the feeling the story is not good. But i think is enough and if you pay attention you understand why you doing all the missions and what is hapenning. Of course in Wing ommander III, IV or prophecy the story was made using real actors and it was like a very good movie with excellent story. But the game sequences where you plated was not better than the Starlancer one. (I played WC III and IV on PSX only). I think all is right in SL offline, but of course i'd love to have the Movie (interactive) like WC telling the story, that would make the game almost perfect.

Posted Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:10 pm:

grubensau wrote:
Starwalker wrote:
I loved Wing Commander III and this game reminds me of it though is better playing but not as good story of course.

Well the Roberts bros did wing commander III so its not a wonder that you are fealing familar with star lancer (if only the story wouldnt be that senseless).

Indeed, its a shame the WC games were not remastered and released again to be able to play good using the PC at least. The problem is that no new WC game was released for long time ago. Many money was needed to make those games. So Starlancer was good because it looks like WC. No better game of the style was released for any of the 128 bit consoles of the next gen yet...
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:01 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
I liked the single-player campaign enough to play from beginning to end 4-5 times. The first missions aren't as good as the later ones when you get to use the better fighters and weapons. Also, there aren't really any two missions that are the same. The only repetitive part is destroying fighters, but there's usually other stuff going on as well to keep you involved. There's somewhat of a story, not on a personal level, but in a general sense of how the war is going.

Anyway, I think it's worth going through the game at least once. It will help make you a better pilot and learn new strategies.

If you're looking for other good space sims, the Colony Wars games on PS1 are still my favorite games of all time. They got me into this genre.
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:17 pm
quote : #8
It does help if you're good at the game of course !. I'm sure if i had the skill of Mertens, Skywalker and others I'd get further into the game and maybe enjoy it more.

BTW If Starlancer is your thang then try Deep Fighter. Sealancer if you will.

Starwalker
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:38 pm
quote : #9
Yeah I've heard that about Deep Fighter a few times, and ive been trying to buy it for a long time really..Razz, thx for remembering me about it SNK 47 Smile . I played a bit of Colony Wars 1 on PSX back in the day, had better graphics than WC III for the same console, but WC III was more interesting, though both are great games of course.
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:27 am
quote : #10
he is right..i tried passing the single player...just slow....but online alot better..haven't been online in a while.Should make a event or something.

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:10 am
quote : #11
Starwalker wrote:
Yeah I've heard that about Deep Fighter a few times, and ive been trying to buy it for a long time really..Razz, thx for remembering me about it SNK 47 Smile . I played a bit of Colony Wars 1 on PSX back in the day, had better graphics than WC III for the same console, but WC III was more interesting, though both are great games of course.

A quick Google reveals Deep Fighter available for around $7 - $10 online at various stores.

I realise this is ever so slightly off topic, but have you tried Oolite ? An open source Space Sim based on Elite but with OpenGL graphics. Just thought it may be of interest to Space Sim fans.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:12 pm
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U/C
SNK 47 wrote:
The graphics and music are fantastic, although, compared to Bang Gunship Elite, there is no sense of speed ! It feels static and lifeless.
bang is ok but i found starlancer to be a much beter game all round. i like the look of bang but i couldnt play it very long befor it felt boring.

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:13 pm
quote : #13
Well i was referring to the sense of speed in Bang Gunship Elite rather than a direct comparison between the two games as a whole.

I had Armada and enjoyed that as well. All the Space games on Dreamcast have their pro's and cons.

I haven't got a DC at present but am looking forward to playing all three games as soon as i acquire one.