Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey, want to hear another innovation by Sega? I don't know the truth of it, but did you know... Sega actually had plans to release Sega Genesis games and Sega Master System games for the Dreamcast? I was reading on another forum... I don't know how many of you have tried the Genesis emulator that Sega created for their Dreamcast. Many of us have probably played through Sega Classics Volume 1 for the Dreamcast. Well, I guess before the Dreamcast died, Sega was going to start releases the games to be saved on the VMUs. Now, your probably thinking, "The VMUs don't have enough space. That wouldn't happen." Well, what about if the MP3 VMU would've came out? That would've meant so easy game saves on a 128, 256, or 512MB VMU. Just goes to show, another innovation by Sega, even if we didn't reap the fruits of their thoughts.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:37 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Actually Sega did this in Japan. They had a download service available for the Dreamcast that let you get classic genesis games.
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:30 am
quote : #3
but once you turn off that dreamcast.....
unknown
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:01 am
quote : #4
Maybe the VMU's capacity could have been increased, though i think the planned Hard Drive add-on would have been the better storage medium.

Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:57 pm
quote : #5
I remember that Sega planned to make emulators available for the ill-fated Zip Drive peripheral, and not only did it allow for Genesis/Master System emulation, but there was speculation that old Nintendo consoles would be available for emulation.
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:29 pm
quote : #6
SNK 47 wrote:
Maybe the VMU's capacity could have been increased, though i think the planned Hard Drive add-on would have been the better storage medium.

I think the zip drive would have worked great actually. You would be able to load the entire game into memory off the zipdrive. I was actually wondering whether a single rom could fit on a current VMU, but the games are a few hundred KB's. A single PSO snapshot file, which takes up 200 blocks is 98kb on the PC in VMS format.

Nightmare a la DC wrote:
...but there was speculation that old Nintendo consoles would be available for emulation.

There is a big difference between legitimate speculation, and random internet babble. Both then and now the idea of Nintendo selling roms on a competators rivaling console is considered absurd. This news is just like someone saying "maybe the Dreamcast will get an emulator to play PS2 games, I heard from a buddy of mine this is possible!" I feel really sorry for people that actually whole-heartedly believe in these types of tabloid tales from the grapevine. Insane.
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:58 pm
quote : #7
Yes, the Zip drive would have been ideal. And, with Sega continually stating that the Dreamcast was always designed as a modular system, who knows whether a Cd/Dvd rewriter would have eventually surfaced.

Remember the Pace Set Top Box was designed to enable downloads of actual DC games. Not that it ever hit the market.

Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:01 pm
quote : #8
Yeah, it seems like Sega really had everything thought out. I mean, judging by the periphels that never surfaced, the Zip Drive, MP3 Player, Broadband, this system was going to go toe to toe with anyone. I feel if Sega didn't quite so soon, they would've had the same success as Nintendo is now, with pushing software and innovation instead of pure graphical horsepower. I mean, anyone can list the incredible foresight Sega had.

mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:20 pm
quote : #9
Stonefreeze wrote:
Yeah, it seems like Sega really had everything thought out. I mean, judging by the periphels that never surfaced, the Zip Drive, MP3 Player, Broadband, this system was going to go toe to toe with anyone. I feel if Sega didn't quite so soon, they would've had the same success as Nintendo is now, with pushing software and innovation instead of pure graphical horsepower. I mean, anyone can list the incredible foresight Sega had.

Truly a system ahead of it's time time.