Topic: Treamcast screen

Page 1 of 1
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:03 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Has anyone changed the screen on a widescreen Treamcast. I've been offered one for cheap money and was quite interested until i saw it working. The screen is virtually unusable. Dark, dim and well crap ! Hence the cheap deal. I've passed up the offer for now but can't help wondering if a VGA screen couldn't be installed. Also the fact that it's multi-regional appeals.

Where would i look for such a thing ? I guessed they would be fairly cheap and readily available but have had no luck locating one.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:21 am
quote : #2
It needs some real skills 2 change the lcd screen. Like you said - the second treamcast run with that 16:9 screen ist a real bad thing. There is no option 2 control the screen. Better you are getting the treamcast which Im selling right now Razz
Check ebay.de for treamcast.
Posted:
Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:46 pm
quote : #3
Hey thanks for the offer grube. Bit pricey for me though.

I'll let you know how i get on with changing the screen. I'm still kinda confident i can get that done.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:30 am
quote : #4
Razz - this auction isnt for free - indeed. Anyway better you cut the complet screen and put a new one on top of the treamcast - check my 3DOcast auction. If you are going 2 change the screen inside - you will need a screen which works with the same voltage. All treamcast versions are using different ac-adapters due 2 their different screens.
Posted:
Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:08 pm
quote : #5
Well the spec of the screen is 7inch 640x480 VGA/composite powered by 12v 3amp. The Treamcast is 12v 2.8amp. So it shouldn't be a problem. Fitting the screen would be the toughest prospect.

Still not sure i'm gonna do it though. The Cube with screen is much better built, and v.cheap at present.

I'll let you know the outcome !

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:08 am
quote : #6
SNK 47 wrote:

Where would i look for such a thing ? I guessed they would be fairly cheap and readily available but have had no luck locating one.

It's neither cheap nor easy to find. I really wanted one for a while, and posted a couple of Treamcast threads back in the day, but the quality of Treamcast's run amok, making it more of a collectible than something I could actually see putting to use. That said, if you're in it to win it, just search ebay.com and hope you catch one. They usually go for about 300 US dollars, at least when I was looking for them.
rank 40
Posted:
Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:14 pm
quote : #7
Well treamcasts arent that hard 2 get - all you need is google and paypal. Im not sure how hard it is 2 get the 16:9 version. This unit looks ugly and is the treamcast with the woresest screen.
Posted:
Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:26 pm
quote : #8
An expensive luxury i agree. Like you say, maybe for the collectors/completists. You could buy a lot of games/beer for that money !. What i will probably do is mod one of my dc's to 12v and multi-region, then play it through my portable DVD player which has a composite input. I've had two modchips hanging around for a while anyhow.

Posted Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:36 pm:

grubensau wrote:
Well treamcasts arent that hard 2 get - all you need is google and paypal. Im not sure how hard it is 2 get the 16:9 version. This unit looks ugly and is the treamcast with the woresest screen.

Well that's the one i've been offered - hence it's so cheap !. It's not just the appalling screen that put me off, it's really bad in terms of build quality. The lid is flimsy etc

I DO like the idea of Widescreen DC gaming on the go though. Starlancer, Rayman, F355 Cool

Maybe another better version will emerge at some time. With a VGA screen plus inbuilt BBA and full remote control with mp3/vcd/divx capability. Dream on.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:44 pm
quote : #9
SNK Smile - dreams are what we need. I would defnitly get another new tc with bba incl. and a better screen. And heheeh - never say never in CHINA.
Posted:
Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:57 pm
quote : #10
Did you ever play Shenmue 2 ?

You walk the streets of Kowloon, passing by shops full of electrical goods ?

It's those same shops that are selling Treamcasts now !

Also a company in Brazil, is it tecjoy or something like that ? They've built all of Sega's consoles under license from the Genesis to the DC. They now build those all-in-one Genesis pad/console systems so maybe a different part of the world will be producing DC hybrids in the future.

And yes i agree we all need dreams Smile . Not broken Treams though Sad

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:09 pm
quote : #11
Type: PAL
SNK 47 wrote:
Also a company in Brazil, is it tecjoy or something like that ? They've built all of Sega's consoles under license from the Genesis to the DC. They now build those all-in-one Genesis pad/console systems so maybe a different part of the world will be producing DC hybrids in the future.

Wrong. It was from the Master System. Even the Master System was the most popular Sega console on Brazil. And thanks to this success, the last official Master System game was released in 1998 (Sonic Blast).

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:09 am
quote : #12
You're right ! And they STILL make the Master System ! (albeit a hybrib version with like a thousand games built in).

And the company is Tec Toy.

Not sure I'd like to see a Dc version. Imagine seeing one packed full of rare DC games that you've scrimped and saved for over the years selling in ToyrUs/Wallmart for a hundred bucks !

Maybe that's already the case-Chankast and 300 pirate copies i guess is the same thing Smile