Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
Previous  1, 2
Na'Ryan[UK]
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:31 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Well since I'm running a server (and not playing the game)
all I ever see is stuff like.

Client 14 connecting with a 450 challenge ping

lowest I have seen was 150 challenge ping (when Lordnikon was trying the server), noidea if he was using his pc or his dreamcast.
But if a Dreamcast user was using the broadband adaptor, or connecting their Dreamcast via their PC to use their broadband connection (as described here http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/) then they would have a much lower ping time than a Dreamcast user who was using the modem Confused

So ya see my problem, I have noidea who is PC or who is DC.
I do agree with Lordnikon about kicking pc users off, after all PC users do have a heck of a lot more Quake 3 servers to play on compared to what a Dreamcast user has Sad
Mind you I would make an exception for those who own and support the DC community in other ways Wink
he he would have too, the Wife would batter me other wise Twisted Evil

WormyTheWorm
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:35 pm
quote : #17
i get a green bar on my DC aswell... but not a full bar
F355 races every 20mins.. 9:00pm / 9:20pm / 9:40pm ...and so on.

http://f355.tsx.org <---F355 race reports, and championship info is posted here.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:44 pm
quote : #18
Type: NTSC-U/C
I guess more than anything I am trying to discourage it, and promote actually playing off the DC.

And yes I have a better ping because I play with a Dreamcast Broadband Adaptor. Buts better with a DC user on broadband because atleast the hardware configuration and framrate is the same. If PC has a supped up system with a much higher framerate, then it can cause latency for DC gamers. I'm not out to be a big dick and start persecuting people. I guess I really want gamers on their dreamast to be able to get gameslots and to get a quality gaming experience.
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:00 pm
quote : #19
Mind you I suppose we could always password protect our servers?
That way only people who visit dreamcast sites would find out what the password was.

But that leads to the problem of, peeps wanting to play on our server would need to know about this or another site & also have a dreamcast keyboard.

To connect they need to use the
;CONNECT IPaddress:port ;password "gamepasswordhere" command.

Ok might not be handy all the time, but prehaps for the Friday night games anyway?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:05 pm
quote : #20
Type: NTSC-U/C
Na'Ryan[UK] wrote:
...Ok might not be handy all the time, but prehaps for the Friday night games anyway?

Oh yea totally. Its gona really come in handy when we want to run tournaments for Quake 3. COMPLETLY essential. Thats why I spent so long researching external commands. The one other thing I need to look into, which is gonna take some hardcore testing. Is ether I can remotely control the server while playing on a dreamcast. I need to see if the Vote to kick user functions can be implimented. Then I also need to see if a user can log in as admin from his dreamcast and kick and unruly user who is being a dick.

But yea, passworded servers will definatly need to be used in the future when it comes to Quake 3 tournaments. I am really glad that it's possible to do this. Passwording games that is. At first I thought it was impossible.
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:29 pm
quote : #21
yeah it's just a shame that the dreamcast can't handle 4 players and one observer.
That way we could have had 4 DC players and 1 pc observer (as a ref).
Had a bit of a idiot tonight who just kept on joining the server and not doing anything,
Kind of ruined the game for other peeps untill I noticed, banned his\her ip and (s)he never came back.

Don't see any reason why however a Dreamcast user with the RCon password won't be able to do the same kind of stuff that a pc user can, As going by what I have read the Dreamcast seems to have the same level of commands that the PC version has.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:11 am
quote : #22
.... first sorry for my bad engl, I hope its small enough that u could understand my words.

I stay often in quake. It doesnt interrest me if someone plays with PC or DC.... Sure when I play a PCler and he beat me all the time coz his laser mouse and BBA kills my DC - then its possible that Grube forgot that he owns a nice mother Smile

But the MAIN thing is the the dude which plays against u ---- not his machine!!!! Means I met some cool PClers which were very friendly..... and I would miss it if I cant play them any longer(some of them used the handicap Razz) I met also PClers which start 2 call me looser and NAZI (NAturalZmokeInspector? Razz) after they got a cheap run.

One of this friendly PClers told me:

1.) The real Heros play here (DC
servers)

2.) The bad PClers which join a DC
server are wimps, coz the
battle is much harder on a
PC server (means a PCler cant
get real honor on a DC server)

3.) The others PClers which join,
come only 2 have fun with dat
freaky DC community Razz

PS: I own DC BBA and won and loosed against PClers, but when I hit a DC member.... my second words after *** GG *** are ever:

Sorry for my con.

See u all in quake Smile))