Page 1 of 1
jakelong2
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:51 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: pal
i just got into this site so im pretty sure this post is in the wrong place (please move it if its not in place). ok recently i found my dreamcast in my attic and i started playing again. i turned it on and it had no visual or audio but when i set the volume on the tv to loud i could hear a staitc sound meaning that it was connected. i ordered a new av cord off amazon and tried it with that and it worked.....for about 3 months now 2 weeks ago i tried to play my dreamcast and it had the same issue(no audio or video but i could hear that static when i turned it on meaning that it was connected) so i ordered another av cord but this time it had the same issue. changing the av cords did not fix the problem, i looked online only to find out that their must be somthing inside the dreamcast that i can fix. seeing that the dreamcast says compatible with windows 98/me makes me want to fix it myself, im really good at computers(A+ ceritified). anyware on this i could to see how to fix my problem? i want to get back to capcom vs snk2 asap! please and thanks in advance.
Posted:
Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:55 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I've heard that static indicates improper grounding. Anyway, if you've replaced the AV cable so many times, it probably is internal. It's likely a hardware issue, so the fact that it's Windows CE is irrelevant. Check inside for broken traces, cold solder joints etc.
Posted:
Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 am
quote : #3
check the power pins on the psu? It's a strange error to get really.
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 am
quote : #4
im an idiot when it comes to dreamcasts but i opened it up last night and i compared the the pins on the psu to photos on google images and they seem the same remeber i never messed with my dreamcast i just played it a couple i never modded it. i think it could maybe be the connection with the av cable port because i hear the static sound when the dreamcast starts on the tv so it is connected but maybe the connection is not 100% maybe its like 30% because i hear the static. if you want i can upload a video of it (on somware)
Posted:
Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:05 am
quote : #5
Alec1382 wrote:
I've heard that static indicates improper grounding. Anyway, if you've replaced the AV cable so many times, it probably is internal. It's likely a hardware issue, so the fact that it's Windows CE is irrelevant. Check inside for broken traces, cold solder joints etc.

agaain im a dumbass with dreamcasts is their a video i can use to check those traces/solders?
Posted:
Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm
quote : #6
jakelong2 wrote:
Alec1382 wrote:
Check inside for broken traces, cold solder joints etc.

agaain im a dumbass with dreamcasts is their a video i can use to check those traces/solders?

You shouldn't need a video. Just look at the circuitry for any solder joints that aren't properly connected, or traces (the little light-green lines on the board) that look like they've been severed.
Posted:
Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:29 pm
quote : #7
got it now whats a solder?
Posted:
Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:22 pm
quote : #8
jakelong2 wrote:

The silver bits. Check to see if any are broken or loose.

jakelong2
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 pm
quote : #9
brmanuk wrote:
jakelong2 wrote:

The silver bits. Check to see if any are broken or loose.

ok one last question is this the top or bottom of the inside of the dreamcast?
Posted:
Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:17 pm
quote : #10
oh crap! i took it apart and i cant find where that place is i looked everyware took everything apart i need help! if someone has skype and can help me skype me baseer1993 or im me fobastam.

update: i put it back together
downfall: it has the same problem as before but also the led dosent shine and the disc reader dosent move up or down. im thinking of getting a new dreamcast