Topic: Not so... Unrelased Games..

Page 1 of 3
killer-elite
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:47 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Well since the Dreamcast has a Bunch of games that Never made it to the light of day, some people have took it apon themselves to make artwork, booklets, spinecards and even cases for these Unrelased games. Heres' the link to what im talking about ( http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dreamcasting@btinternet.com/album?.dir=/c619re2&.src=ph )
Games such as Half-Life (with Blue Shift), Proppeller Arena, and PBA Bowling 2001 are shown the way they should of been made. I've personally have bought from this guy and Bought the Half-Life game from him. It's just looks like a real dreamcast game should with the artwork and booklet (with real instructions) inside.It just seems fit for have these great games finally complete (well by the way of looks anyway). Just thought I would share this with you guys....

Last edited by killer-elite on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 am
quote : #2
Type: Pal
Very impressive, wonder if these are how the games would have looked from an information source or is it mostly guess work, hmm.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:25 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Nice pictures. The boxarts look nice

Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:33 pm
quote : #4
Nice artworks, I didn't know that some of these games were thought of for a DC release (the KOF trilogy would have been a big system seller in the hardcore community).
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:10 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Wow, those do look nice.

What the Dreamcast could have been, if those had been released..

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:55 pm
quote : #6
Nightmare a la DC wrote:
Nice artworks, I didn't know that some of these games were thought of for a DC release (the KOF trilogy would have been a big system seller in the hardcore community).

It looks strange. Why '99, '00' and '02 and not '01? Confused

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:28 pm
quote : #7
Because its probobly the only ones they could fit onto the pirated disc. Those compilations are gross IMHO. Taking shooters and cramming them onto a single disc is filthy. These games deserve to be on a single disc.

The Japanese Propeller Arena cover art is the best quality item here. The rest are ehhh. Even the propeller arena disc is not right since it has the PAL disc design on it.

Also, anyone notice the cover of the Conflict Zone promo says "C O N F L I T" zone?
Posted:
Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:52 am
quote : #8
I had to go back and look again for that ! Conflit is french for conflict so maybe it's the french version ? I guess it was released in France ?

Regardless of the rights and wrongs, flaws and technicalities, I'd be quite interested in getting some of those covers. I think whoever's done them has obviously worked hard and produced good quality which would sit happily in my games rack. My Half-Life with it's scribbled on title and plain jewel case hardly does the game justice. I'd much prefer his box/art. It also makes me want PBA Bowling and The Flintstones ! I never thought I'd say that.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:44 am
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
Because its probobly the only ones they could fit onto the pirated disc. Those compilations are gross IMHO. Taking shooters and cramming them onto a single disc is filthy. These games deserve to be on a single disc.

Why?

Shooter compilations have been around for a long time. Dreamcast shooters are notorious for taking up very little space anyway.
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:38 am
quote : #10
You are asking why it is filthy? I really need to explain this?

There is a huge difference between:

The actual company releasing a compilation of their own games on a single disc (such as the GunBird 1+2 compilation on the PS2).

and

Rom-Whores / Game-Pirates ripping random shooters from different companies and hacking them to get them to run and boot on a single downloadable ISO.

Games like Border Down, Ikaruga, Trizeal, Karous, Trigger Heart, Zero Gunner 2, etc etc all deserve to be on a standalone retail release with official packaging. They also deserve to the manufactured and purchased via legal distribution chains. I know some people have forgotten how this works:

I pay money, and a store will send me an official retail release of the game in the mail.
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:30 pm
quote : #11
But if you already own legal copies of the games, then having a back-up of all them all on one disc is fine ?

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:31 pm:

Hence you may want the cover art for such a disc Confused

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:36 pm
quote : #12
SNK 47 wrote:
But if you already own legal copies of the games, then having a back-up of all them all on one disc is fine ?

Yes, but Dreamcast discs have copy protection, so it's still illegal.

Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:22 pm
quote : #13
Yeah, that piracy stuff is bad. I mean, I have a few backups, I won't lie. I plan on gettting the originals, since people have developed and worked hard for their products. The only two reason to own backups, I believe, are for 1) Owning games that weren't released or 2) Trying before you buy, since almost all stores don't rent Dreamcast games anymore. If you like the game, try it, and than buy it. I agree with jamming all the games on one disc. That ain't cool at all. And besides, if you love your dc, you won't put it through the agony of playing cd-r's all the time. Just like a cig, it's not good for the long term health.

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:28 am
quote : #14
JKKDARK wrote:
SNK 47 wrote:

Yes, but Dreamcast discs have copy protection, so it's still illegal.

So Cool Herders, Feet of Fury etc are on copy protected GD-R discs? What about cracking Mil-cd, was that legal ? Was Bleem! legal ? Pirate discs would never seen the light of day if it wasn't for programmers, hackers, reverse engineers etc getting to grips with our beloved console. But maybe we wouldn't be enjoying the homebrew stuff out there today without them.

Is asking £45 for a game really going to encourage kids to get into legal gaming ? Can most people honestly say they paid for every MP3 on their ipod, have never copied a film onto video or DVD, recorded music onto cd/cassette ? And recently of course the copy-protection for HD-DVD has been cracked.

Microsoft announced the other day how disgusted they were with Google. How Google profiteers by getting advertising revenue on the back of copyrighted material. They also cited Google's acquisition of Youtube as further argument. This is a company who not only provide the operating system for 90% of the world's PCs(and DC!), but also put Internet Explorer as the default Browser on there too. Microsoft are, like most moralists, total hypocrites and control freaks.

I'm playing Devils Advocate really as I haven't a single back-up game, and I do realise the strict illegality of having them. But I also think the law favours the rich and powerful too much. All that back-ups of any kind do is level the playing field just a little.

The myth that back-ups destroyed the DC is one that should not persist. Sega's long term business incompetence killed it. Playstation 1&2 was the most pirated system in gaming history yet also the most successful. Do the math.

Tony Blair, George Bush, Bill Gates, Sega, Artists, programmers,anyone in fact !, can argue all they like about copyright, moralising and staying within the law, but personally I'd rather have a back-up DC disc than blood on my hands. Shocked

BTW Where can I download The Flintstones and PBA ? I just love those covers.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:40 am
quote : #15
I should reiterate that my comments were not intended to blast piracy, or to say that owning backups makes you a horrible horrible person. Don't get it twisted. I actually have roughly 175+ backups on a harddrive. They aid me in research sometimes and also they are nice to have for backup purposes in-case something terrible were to happen and all my Dreamcast's died. I could play them on Chankast on the PC.

My point in referencing piracy, is that most people who soley pirate games don't appreciate them. They take very little stock in the games themselves. I have gone into this MANY times before, and this entire thread is starting to be a re-tread of previous discussions here on the forum. The point is, craming multiple shooters into a single disc relegates these games as "roms" rather than standalone games that should be appreciated on their own merits. Instead these packages disrespect the games by giving off the impression that they arn't good enough to stand on their own, and must be bundled in with other games of like-kind in order to make someones "already free download" seem remotely worthwhile.