Page 2 of 3
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:36 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
lordnikon wrote:

The point is, craming multiple shooters into a single disc relegates these games as "roms" rather than standalone games that should be appreciated on their own merits. Instead these packages disrespect the games by giving off the impression that they arn't good enough to stand on their own, and must be bundled in with other games of like-kind in order to make someones "already free download" seem remotely worthwhile.

There, that was the reason I was looking for. I'm sorry, it just seemed like you were coming down hard on those who had some pirated copies of games, simply because they were compilations, which was confusing. Sorry for bringing this topic slightly off topic.
unknown
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:49 am
quote : #17
Well I guess all games will be downloaded as ROMs onto a Hard-Drive some day in the future. It's already happening now with new consoles and Valve have STEAM. Progress? For the Better?

I had about 50 games stolen from the work's cafe some years ago and when I recieved the insurance money I realised I could buy a new PC with Chankast or simply download the games and spend the money elsewhere. Very tempting Smile I eventually replaced the games, but it was a tough decision ! If they hadn't been insured ? Mmm...not sure !

I know quite a few graphic artists who moan about how their work gets ripped. I always point out that had they not had cracked versions of PS, Flash, Maya etc on their computer (total retail circa £10,000), they wouldn't have a job in the first place lol

Back to the covers ! Why is it everytime I try and download the Half-Life covers, they are the size of a house ? Obviously I'm meant to resize them somehow. But it begs the question WHY ?! Anyway, seeing as it took about an hour to print out on highest quality I think I'll frame it and stick it on the wall Smile

Posted Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:01 am:

Having second thoughts about having Gordon Freeman staring down at me. I fear waking in the night as some bearded guy hurtles towards me waving a PHD in one hand and a crowbar in the other. Not nice.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:35 am
quote : #18
Type: NTSC-U/C
SNK 47 wrote:
I know quite a few graphic artists who moan about how their work gets ripped. I always point out that had they not had cracked versions of PS, Flash, Maya etc on their computer (total retail circa £10,000), they wouldn't have a job in the first place lol.

Stealing other peoples creative works and passing them off as your own is wrong.

Period.

Your analogy is off the mark. Downloading and using functional technical software in your own home is ENTIRELY different than stealing other peoples creative works and passing it off as your own. The only way your analogy would work is if someone stole the source code for Photoshop or Maya and then wrote a new graphics appliaction based off of the code.

Artists have every right to get angry and complain when hapless amateurs with no creative vision have lift art from other sources to use in some sort of mutated homebrew project. The Dreamcast community is more guilty of this than any other console homebrew community.

To say "without immoral h4x0ring we would have nothing in homebrew" is also incorrect. This type of mindset is what has kept the entire Dreamcast development community in the gutter. If the community would simply grow up and take a more focused look at Dreamcast programming and artistic development then people would be making far more complex and compelling projects.
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:48 pm
quote : #19
Type: PAL
SNK 47 wrote:
JKKDARK wrote:
SNK 47 wrote:
But if you already own legal copies of the games, then having a back-up of all them all on one disc is fine ?

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:31 pm:

Hence you may want the cover art for such a disc Confused

Yes, but Dreamcast discs have copy protection, so it's still illegal.

So Cool Herders, Feet of Fury etc are on copy protected GD-R discs? What about cracking Mil-cd, was that legal ? Was Bleem! legal ? Pirate discs would never seen the light of day if it wasn't for programmers, hackers, reverse engineers etc getting to grips with our beloved console. But maybe we wouldn't be enjoying the homebrew stuff out there today without them.

Is asking £45 for a game really going to encourage kids to get into legal gaming ? Can most people honestly say they paid for every MP3 on their ipod, have never copied a film onto video or DVD, recorded music onto cd/cassette ? And recently of course the copy-protection for HD-DVD has been cracked.

Microsoft announced the other day how disgusted they were with Google. How Google profiteers by getting advertising revenue on the back of copyrighted material. They also cited Google's acquisition of Youtube as further argument. This is a company who not only provide the operating system for 90% of the world's PCs(and DC!), but also put Internet Explorer as the default Browser on there too. Microsoft are, like most moralists, total hypocrites and control freaks.

I'm playing Devils Advocate really as I haven't a single back-up game, and I do realise the strict illegality of having them. But I also think the law favours the rich and powerful too much. All that back-ups of any kind do is level the playing field just a little.

The myth that back-ups destroyed the DC is one that should not persist. Sega's long term business incompetence killed it. Playstation 1&2 was the most pirated system in gaming history yet also the most successful. Do the math.

Tony Blair, George Bush, Bill Gates, Sega, Artists, programmers,anyone in fact !, can argue all they like about copyright, moralising and staying within the law, but personally I'd rather have a back-up DC disc than blood on my hands. Shocked

BTW Where can I download The Flintstones and PBA ? I just love those covers.

I was talking about OFFICIAL Dreamcast games (GD-ROMS), not homebrew games. And we didn't need the GD-ROM hackers for homebrew stuff (emulators, homebrew games, etc).
Sony consoles were more pirated but it's Sony, NOT a true video games company like Nintendo or Sega. Sony get more money from other products, like Microsoft. Now you need to do the math Rolling Eyes

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:48 pm
quote : #20
Not quite sure what you mean regarding GD-Rom hackers. I presume you're referring to cracking the Mil-cd enabling DC to read game data off a Cd-Rom. Without that there wouldn't be homebrew on a Cd-that stands to reason. It would be quite feasible to distribute homebrew on GD-Rom but noone seems to do that.

I don't consider Goat Games to be anything other than official releases. The fact they are on a media unlicensed by Sega is neither here nor there. Kallistios is a work of genius and, bearing in mind Sega weren't going to release Dev Kits and Katana tools to the community, the community developed their own ways of making and selling their games. Sega could easily made things easier but they chose not to. They could have pioneered and embraced the concept of homebrew coding once they themselves left the Dreamcast scene. They chose not to. Sega Sammy the Pachinko makers.

Why persist with the nonsensical idea that Sega and Nintendo are the only [/i]real[i] games companies. Gitaroo Man, Halo, Ico. Talk of the DC community growing up seems premature.

Posted Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:25 pm:

lordnikon wrote:
SNK 47 wrote:
I know quite a few graphic artists who moan about how their work gets ripped. I always point out that had they not had cracked versions of PS, Flash, Maya etc on their computer (total retail circa £10,000), they wouldn't have a job in the first place lol.

Stealing other peoples creative works and passing them off as your own is wrong.

Period.

Your analogy is off the mark. Downloading and using functional technical software in your own home is ENTIRELY different than stealing other peoples creative works and passing it off as your own. The only way your analogy would work is if someone stole the source code for Photoshop or Maya and then wrote a new graphics appliaction based off of the code.

Artists have every right to get angry and complain when hapless amateurs with no creative vision have lift art from other sources to use in some sort of mutated homebrew project. The Dreamcast community is more guilty of this than any other console homebrew community.

To say "without immoral h4x0ring we would have nothing in homebrew" is also incorrect. This type of mindset is what has kept the entire Dreamcast development community in the gutter. If the community would simply grow up and take a more focused look at Dreamcast programming and artistic development then people would be making far more complex and compelling projects.

I sort of agree with most of what you say, despite it veering off topic again Smile

I was trying to point out the notion that having a back-up is not really anything to get angry or moralistic about. I much prefer your analysis that the Dreamcast needs more complex and compelling projects. Something I really do get hot under my collar about ! The programmers and artists, the publishers, they are all out there. A lack of communication, organisation or maybe ambition. And, yes that unbelievable idea that people want to play yet another mutated SOR !

Let's not forget that a lot of great homebrew has been accomplished on Dreamcast though. I have used and enjoyed a lot of it over the years and have appreciated the hard work and talent required for those projects. Maybe not the grand inspired games we all crave, but important work nonetheless. The various media players, utilities, patches, game engines, vmu goodies for example. Small in scale but not in importance.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:07 pm
quote : #21
SNK 47 wrote:
I don't consider Goat Games to be anything other than official releases. The fact they are on a media unlicensed by Sega is neither here nor there. Kallistios is a work of genius and, bearing in mind Sega weren't going to release Dev Kits and Katana tools to the community, the community developed their own ways of making and selling their games.

Regardless of what people wish to personally classify the homebrew games as, the fact remains that they are unofficial, unliscensed homebrew video games released by independent means long after the Dreamcast has been on the commercial market.

People can tell themselves over and over all they want that "these games are official". The Dreamcast is not on the market anymore. It is as far as the public is concerned "dead". It is a sad state of affairs when I see Dreamcast hobbyist's fronting the system as getting new releases, and rattling off games like Last Hope, Cool Herders, Inhabitants, Feet of Fury, or Maquipai to John Q. Sixpack. This person gets the impression that these Dreamcast games are indeed officially sanctioned titles available in stores somewhere for sale on the Sega Dreamcast. Supporters of the "Dreamcast Scene" love these types of situations because it makes them feel as if their console is still publically relevant. That their system should be in the public eye with all of the other consoles.

Which makes this all an unfortunate insecure attempt to gain social acceptance for a game system that the majority of the people on Planet Earth could care less about.

Just because a game is pressed to GD-ROM doesn't make it official either. It has to have Sega's stamp of approval as an officially liscensed game title. The classification of official vs un-official does not mean one game is better or worse than the other. In-fact it is entirely possible for someone to make a homebrew game that is the greatest Dreamcast game ever made to some.

In the end, it is important to understand the circumstances under-which a video game is released. Homebrew unofficial games undergo an entirely different development process with an unpredictable level of standards. It is up to the Developers themselves to decide when it is finally ready to release their game and whether or not it is complete. It is very easy for someone to jump the gun and release a title that isn't exactly finished and could use more polish.

SNK 47 wrote:
Sega could easily made things easier but they chose not to. They could have pioneered and embraced the concept of homebrew coding once they themselves left the Dreamcast scene. They chose not to. Sega Sammy the Pachinko makers.

Sega barely even had a chance to approach this idea. The Dreamcast was only on the market for a few years in North America and Europe and had very little stability. Asking for dev kits from Sega when it was still in the hardware market, is like asking your mother for homemade Lasagna on Thanksgiving. You will simply get an "Are you out of your damn mind?" look.

SNK 47 wrote:
The various media players, utilities, patches, game engines, vmu goodies for example. Small in scale but not in importance.

I think the technical software developed by homebrew coders is at a higher calibur than the video game projects. Maybe this is the real dillemma, a complete lack of artistic / creative vision within the homebrew community. A prime example is that shooter / ripoff "Drill" which is looking to essentially emulate the themes found in a shooter by Cave titled "Mushihimesama". From a technical standpoint the game is making great strides, but from a concept & asthetic point of view the game is biting ideas from another company. Which drags the whole project down.
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:15 am
quote : #22
I for one don't care for Johnny Sixpack's acceptance of my Dreamcast love affair. And my mum couldn't cook a lasagne if her life depended on it ! But if either of them showed any interest in the Dreamcast, well, I feel it would be remiss of me not to rattle on about it's merits until the the cows come home.

I guess my reasoning behind official/unofficial releases requires an explanation. For example, the best music has often come from 'unnoficial' beginnings before becoming embraced by the music companies and then the wider audience that increased media attention brings. Records and Cd's released before a band is signed up to a major company litter my collection and I see them as on an equal footing to the rest of my music. Then there are the records released by independant companies. I realise they haven't been scrutinised and subject to quality control as they would be under the watchful ears(an oxymoron?!)of major company execs, but I see that as a definite advantage !

In the same way that most people don't give a rat's A-hole about my love of unnofficial, punk, indie, D&B or some obscure singer from a small town in Outer Mongolia, I realise that my love of Feet of Fury is also going to fall on deaf ears most of the time. I have no problem with that at all. For me, I don't crave 'social acceptance' or any big company's seal of approval, whether it be games or music. I think "I like it !" and that's official.

If a restaurant served me the greatest lasagne this side of Italy finest, I wouldn't dis it just because it didn't come with Michelin's accreditation. We all have different taste buds Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:04 am
quote : #23
So, you now consider them to be unnofficial releases? You state this multiple times in your post above, so I am wondering now if your position is now that they are indeed unofficial.

Also, in the video games industry individual companies supply a proprietary platform for game developers to create and release video games. These markets exist within a bubble. The music industry does not exist within such a bubble. Music can be produced by many different businesses in a variety of formats, and played on thousands of devices from hundreds of audio hardware manufacturers.

Feet of Fury, Maquipai, Inhabitants, Last Hope, and Cool Herders are not Official Dreamcast video game releases. They are independent homebrew unnofficial releases. These games are released under far different circumstances than an independent music release. Homebrew games are a lot like being in Major League Baseball, getting signed midseason, noticing you are not in the latest set of "Topps" baseball cards, and paying someone to manufactur a carbon copy replica card of you. It may look and feel just like a regular baseball card, but it would not be an "Official Topps" baseball card, or be considered part of the complete set.
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:12 am
quote : #24
Too....many....analogy's!...head...huuuuurting Mad

I'd just like to say that the those cover's are fantastic.

Now I'm off to hide from the rest of this thread (Wink ), ta ta!
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:32 pm
quote : #25
Hey im really interested in the Bass fishing 2.
Was it another game that got finished but never released?
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:23 pm
quote : #26
Get Bass 2 / Sega Bass Fishing 2 was released in Japan and North America. Import it ;]
Posted:
Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:45 am
quote : #27
I've only got Bass Fishing, but apart from Bass 2, there is Marine Fishing and Reel Wild Fishing. Only Bass Fishing was released in PAL areas. If you have the Fishing Rod they are worth tracking down.

I'm wondering if you could use the Rod with the Big Cat in Sonic Adventure Smile Think I'll have to try that out.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:22 pm
quote : #28
Stonefreeze wrote:
Yeah, that piracy stuff is bad. I mean, I have a few backups, I won't lie. I plan on gettting the originals, since people have developed and worked hard for their products. The only two reason to own backups, I believe, are for 1) Owning games that weren't released or 2) Trying before you buy, since almost all stores don't rent Dreamcast games anymore. If you like the game, try it, and than buy it. I agree with jamming all the games on one disc. That ain't cool at all. And besides, if you love your dc, you won't put it through the agony of playing cd-r's all the time. Just like a cig, it's not good for the long term health.
i would agree with reason 1 if it isnt released then a bootleg isnt so bad but for try befor you buy htat dosnt cut it with me. i agree you cant rent the games but where im from ther are stores that let you play any game before buying game crazy is one thats huge and even the lil mom and pop store here lets me do so

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:31 pm:

lozz wrote:
this game is ok but it has one flaw it dont work with the fishing rod controler i forget the reson i think you cant real the line in cuz ther isnt a left and or right trigger buton on the rod and as far a i could see no controler setup suport but bass 1 and marine fishing do work fine with the rod. how ever i should say there may be more than one rod it could be the brand i have ,sorry the issue is with casting you canot cast the line out with the rod i own this sucks cuz the rod is much more fun with the fishing games
Posted:
Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:08 pm
quote : #29
Quote:

this game is ok but it has one flaw it dont work with the fishing rod controler i forget the reson i think you cant real the line in cuz ther isnt a left and or right trigger buton on the rod and as far a i could see no controler setup suport but bass 1 and marine fishing do work fine with the rod. how ever i should say there may be more than one rod it could be the brand i have ,sorry the issue is with casting you canot cast the line out with the rod i own this sucks cuz the rod is much more fun with the fishing games

gary_b, It appears we have the same fishing rod. I think there are three versions.

Do you know if Bass Fishing 2 is the same as Bass Rush ? All these fishing games. Damned confusing !

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:31 pm
quote : #30
SNK 47 wrote:
Quote:

gary_b, It appears we have the same fishing rod. I think there are three versions.

Do you know if Bass Fishing 2 is the same as Bass Rush ? All these fishing games. Damned confusing !
i have no idea but it dont sound to be the same but its always posible if bass rush is from a nother region my sega bass fishing 2 is from NTSC-U... the issue with my fishing rod is that ther is only 4 butons on it A,B,X,Y and then the real wich takes the place of the right trigger how ever the left trigger casts out the line on a normal joy pad and the D pad is also not on my rod