Topic: Not so... Unrelased Games..

Page 3 of 3
shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:17 am
quote : #31
profile : pm
iv'e read somewhere that some people have actually used the fishing rod to play soul calibur. and if i'm right there is apparently one guy out there who has finished that game on hard with the rod. Shocked

Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:56 am
quote : #32
gary_b wrote:
Stonefreeze wrote:
Yeah, that piracy stuff is bad. I mean, I have a few backups, I won't lie. I plan on gettting the originals, since people have developed and worked hard for their products. The only two reason to own backups, I believe, are for 1) Owning games that weren't released or 2) Trying before you buy, since almost all stores don't rent Dreamcast games anymore. If you like the game, try it, and than buy it. I agree with jamming all the games on one disc. That ain't cool at all. And besides, if you love your dc, you won't put it through the agony of playing cd-r's all the time. Just like a cig, it's not good for the long term health.
i would agree with reason 1 if it isnt released then a bootleg isnt so bad but for try befor you buy htat dosnt cut it with me. i agree you cant rent the games but where im from ther are stores that let you play any game before buying game crazy is one thats huge and even the lil mom and pop store here lets me do so

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:31 pm:

lozz wrote:
Hey im really interested in the Bass fishing 2.
Was it another game that got finished but never released?
this game is ok but it has one flaw it dont work with the fishing rod controler i forget the reson i think you cant real the line in cuz ther isnt a left and or right trigger buton on the rod and as far a i could see no controler setup suport but bass 1 and marine fishing do work fine with the rod. how ever i should say there may be more than one rod it could be the brand i have ,sorry the issue is with casting you canot cast the line out with the rod i own this sucks cuz the rod is much more fun with the fishing games

If you can find a store with a Dreamcast, that will leave you plays games before you buy, on this date, 3-27-07, I find that hard to believe. The Dreamcast is 6 years off the commercial market. Systems with more publicity and funding would easily trunced the Dreamcast buy now. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo would pretty much own that space by now, because let's be honest here. The Dreamcast is being kept alive by an avid fan base. No other reason. There's no money in it for Sega. And what a topic about the GD-rom stuff. If you see any domestic release here in the US, I would bet just about anything that it's homebrewed just because the Dreamcast is no longer on the market. A domestic release would require Sega's approval with a liscensing fee, and for the hundred or less pieces of software that are sold just would be enough for the hardwork that these programmers still go through for the Dreamcast. Let's appreciate what we have. I still love the Dreamcast. I haven't been playing it lately, but I will soon. The Dreamcast just has that special quality to it. Maybe because everyone knows that there's a pretty good chance that this might be Sega's final system. It's in sacred territory. If there was a new system with backwords compatibility, this would be another gamecube. For the piracy bit, yeah, it is wrong. Owning backups is wrong. But, the system is no longer officially supported by Sega. So, while it may not be noticed, along with several older systems whose roms are floating on the net, owning backups is wrong, unless you own the original. As I stated before, and also on another thread on here, the main reason for playing CD-Rs on the Dreamcast are:

1)Backups, which I have mixed feelings. They are necessary if you want to play Half-Life, Propeller Arena, and any other unreleased games that may or maynot come out. I like to try out a game before I buy it. Like, for instance, I have a backups of Marvel vs Capcom 2. I love the game, but I'm going to get the original since the sound was downsized and it skips. I want the whole thing, since the Dreamcast, I feel, does arcades games unrivaled.
2)Music CDs, which ain't bad, either. Most people have iPods and stuff, but still, some people still by music CDs.
3)Homebrew. This is a pretty wide topic. The Dreamcast, is more or less, a pretty good system for homebrew. Not only is it cheap, but, easy to program for (or so I hear.) Emulators for other systems, custom web browsers, Divx players, VCD players, Demos, a lot of things can be burned and played on the Dreamcast for free. And I like homebrew to an extent. As long as it's polished, it's get my support.
4)Independent Releases. All these games, are on CD. This is why you'll see this on the Dreamcast and no other system. The Dreamcast has a glitch in it, and almost every reader knows, that will leave the system play backups, with no mod chips or boot discs. This is the main reason why we will see independent releases. No fees are paid to Sega, since it's not officially on their media. But, in the same token, if you want to see more software, don't go and download it. Support the independent releases and show them that you appreciated their time, effort, and work they put in so that a few hundrew people who still have the Dreamcast can enjoy something new, instead of something that was released long ago.

Yeah, I kind got on a rant, but I'm a pretty die hard gamer. Big Sega fan. But's let face it. If we don't support the community, we don't pay the people that bring the product to us, and we no longer get games, whether they are excellent, good, bad, whatever.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:23 am
quote : #33
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, homebrew wouldn't exist in it's current form if Echelon had never cracked the DC's protection scheme "like an egg" and released DOA2 all those years ago.

edit: I know that technically Kalisto was responsible, but there is a pretty decent chance that they are the same group of people.

Look at the PS2. It's a pretty powerful machine, and yet homebrew for it pales in comparison to what is available for the DC. The main draws to DC homebrew development are a hardcore fanbase, a relatively powerful 200MHz CPU, and the fact that you can press your games to cheap CDs and not have to worry about GDRs or getting licensed by Sega, thanks to the DC's ability/flaw of booting CDRs natively without a mod chip. With a PS2, it's much more complicated, because modding a PS2 is a royal pain in the ass because the hardware is so ridiculously complicated. With the PS2, you tend to see a lot more simple software pirates booting burned DVD-Rs than you do people booting homebrew software.

Techniques used in piracy and homebrew development go hand in hand. Both want to take a large amount of data and compress it, press/burn it properly with the right file structure on a CDR, and then get it to boot on a vanilla DC.

I don't have any of the new releases because I can't afford them. I could easily check any of almost a dozen websites and grab a torrent for any of them, and then have a working copy in about a day. I'm not going to criticise anyone who downloads a copy of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, or Tokyo Xtreme Racer, or Crazy Taxi. But seeing torrents for new releases that are still actively being sold (and who's sales numbers are the deciding factor in whether or not we get any games in the future) really, really sucks.

I'm tired. I don't even know where I'm going with this.

Homebrew is rad. Beats of Rage is awesome. I know Nikon doesn't like it because they ripped off SNK characters wholesale, but I don't care because it's fun as hell, free, and easily moddable (not just in the game, but the engine itself, which has led to quite a few updates and changes by actual coders, not just dumbasses scamming Ryu sprite sheets). Also, not only is it made very clear that the game is freeware, and that SNK and Sega have not licensed it, but SNK is also credited and they don't seem to care about the characters being used, since no C&Ds have been issued. Also, a new game is in development using entirely original art assets as well, now that the majority of the bugs have been worked out of the engine by both the original team, and other coders.

No matter how you feel about emulators, you've got to appreciate the amount of work that goes into them.

I haven't played Feet of Fury yet, but as soon as I have a more reliable connection I'd like to download the demo and see if I like it enought to buy it. And Rush Rush Rally is looking pretty awesome already, and it's still pretty early in development.

On a side note, when it comes to determing whether or not a game is an "official release" or not, the way I figure is this: If two or three guys make a game in their garage, it's homebrew. If an actual factual company, with employees and payroll and letterheads and all that make a game, it's an official release as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry If I'm rambling, I've been working nightshift lately and I'm really, really tired.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:04 am
quote : #34
Type: NTSC-U/C
Stonefreeze wrote:
gary_b wrote:
Stonefreeze wrote:
Yeah, that piracy stuff is bad. I mean, I have a few backups, I won't lie. I plan on gettting the originals, since people have developed and worked hard for their products. The only two reason to own backups, I believe, are for 1) Owning games that weren't released or 2) Trying before you buy, since almost all stores don't rent Dreamcast games anymore. If you like the game, try it, and than buy it. I agree with jamming all the games on one disc. That ain't cool at all. And besides, if you love your dc, you won't put it through the agony of playing cd-r's all the time. Just like a cig, it's not good for the long term health.
i would agree with reason 1 if it isnt released then a bootleg isnt so bad but for try befor you buy htat dosnt cut it with me. i agree you cant rent the games but where im from ther are stores that let you play any game before buying game crazy is one thats huge and even the lil mom and pop store here lets me do so

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:31 pm:

lozz wrote:
Hey im really interested in the Bass fishing 2.
Was it another game that got finished but never released?
this game is ok but it has one flaw it dont work with the fishing rod controler i forget the reson i think you cant real the line in cuz ther isnt a left and or right trigger buton on the rod and as far a i could see no controler setup suport but bass 1 and marine fishing do work fine with the rod. how ever i should say there may be more than one rod it could be the brand i have ,sorry the issue is with casting you canot cast the line out with the rod i own this sucks cuz the rod is much more fun with the fishing games

If you can find a store with a Dreamcast, that will leave you plays games before you buy, on this date, 3-27-07, I find that hard to believe. The Dreamcast is 6 years off the commercial market. Systems with more publicity and funding would easily trunced the Dreamcast buy now. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo would pretty much own that space by now, because let's be honest here. The Dreamcast is being kept alive by an avid fan base. No other reason. There's no money in it for Sega. And what a topic about the GD-rom stuff. If you see any domestic release here in the US, I would bet just about anything that it's homebrewed just because the Dreamcast is no longer on the market. A domestic release would require Sega's approval with a liscensing fee, and for the hundred or less pieces of software that are sold just would be enough for the hardwork that these programmers still go through for the Dreamcast. Let's appreciate what we have. I still love the Dreamcast. I haven't been playing it lately, but I will soon. The Dreamcast just has that special quality to it. Maybe because everyone knows that there's a pretty good chance that this might be Sega's final system. It's in sacred territory. If there was a new system with backwords compatibility, this would be another gamecube. For the piracy bit, yeah, it is wrong. Owning backups is wrong. But, the system is no longer officially supported by Sega. So, while it may not be noticed, along with several older systems whose roms are floating on the net, owning backups is wrong, unless you own the original. As I stated before, and also on another thread on here, the main reason for playing CD-Rs on the Dreamcast are:

1)Backups, which I have mixed feelings. They are necessary if you want to play Half-Life, Propeller Arena, and any other unreleased games that may or maynot come out. I like to try out a game before I buy it. Like, for instance, I have a backups of Marvel vs Capcom 2. I love the game, but I'm going to get the original since the sound was downsized and it skips. I want the whole thing, since the Dreamcast, I feel, does arcades games unrivaled.
2)Music CDs, which ain't bad, either. Most people have iPods and stuff, but still, some people still by music CDs.
3)Homebrew. This is a pretty wide topic. The Dreamcast, is more or less, a pretty good system for homebrew. Not only is it cheap, but, easy to program for (or so I hear.) Emulators for other systems, custom web browsers, Divx players, VCD players, Demos, a lot of things can be burned and played on the Dreamcast for free. And I like homebrew to an extent. As long as it's polished, it's get my support.
4)Independent Releases. All these games, are on CD. This is why you'll see this on the Dreamcast and no other system. The Dreamcast has a glitch in it, and almost every reader knows, that will leave the system play backups, with no mod chips or boot discs. This is the main reason why we will see independent releases. No fees are paid to Sega, since it's not officially on their media. But, in the same token, if you want to see more software, don't go and download it. Support the independent releases and show them that you appreciated their time, effort, and work they put in so that a few hundrew people who still have the Dreamcast can enjoy something new, instead of something that was released long ago.

Yeah, I kind got on a rant, but I'm a pretty die hard gamer. Big Sega fan. But's let face it. If we don't support the community, we don't pay the people that bring the product to us, and we no longer get games, whether they are excellent, good, bad, whatever.
yes to this date hour and min, i can play before i buy and its a feture of the game crazy store chain this is all acrost the united stats. and even the smaller mom and pops store here in my town lets me do this . cant speak for every game crazy store but if mine has a dreamcast for this reson then im guessing others do to if not all of them..here are ther phone nubers if dont beleave me game crazys is 1 989-832-7327and the mom and pops one is game exchange 1 989-832-0299.. keep in mind im in michigan so store hours will have to be figured out by you
Posted:
Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:24 pm
quote : #35
Einhander wrote:
Well, homebrew wouldn't exist in it's current form if Echelon had never cracked the DC's protection scheme "like an egg" and released DOA2 all those years ago.

edit: I know that technically Kalisto was responsible, but there is a pretty decent chance that they are the same group of people.

Actually it was Utopia who did the first DC rips. Echelon didn't get into the scene until after Kalisto quit.

Einhander wrote:
I don't have any of the new releases because I can't afford them. I could easily check any of almost a dozen websites and grab a torrent for any of them, and then have a working copy in about a day. I'm not going to criticise anyone who downloads a copy of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, or Tokyo Xtreme Racer, or Crazy Taxi. But seeing torrents for new releases that are still actively being sold (and who's sales numbers are the deciding factor in whether or not we get any games in the future) really, really sucks.

Yup. I agree. It makes no difference for SEGA if you download a game or buy it used. If you want to support them, buy their new games.

Einhander wrote:
I haven't played Feet of Fury yet, but as soon as I have a more reliable connection I'd like to download the demo and see if I like it enought to buy it. And Rush Rush Rally is looking pretty awesome already, and it's still pretty early in development.

On a side note, when it comes to determing whether or not a game is an "official release" or not, the way I figure is this: If two or three guys make a game in their garage, it's homebrew. If an actual factual company, with employees and payroll and letterheads and all that make a game, it's an official release as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah I agree. It's not on GD-ROM and it's not Sega approved, but it's still a commercial Dreamcast game.
Posted:
Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:54 pm
quote : #36
Type: PAL
phredreeke wrote:
Yup. I agree. It makes no difference for SEGA if you download a game or buy it used. If you want to support them, buy their new games.

But download games, even if they are SG-1000 games, is illegal.

Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:00 pm
quote : #37
JKKDARK wrote:
phredreeke wrote:

But download games, even if they are SG-1000 games, is illegal.

Protip: Software piracy is only illegal if you get caught.

mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:06 pm
quote : #38
everything is only illegal if you get caught Very Happy