Topic: ha ha ha i got it to work

Page 1 of 1
shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
for a while now ive been wanting to mod the dc controller so that the analog was on the right. well tonight with a bit of experimenting and a dremmel i got it to work. just tried it out with q3 and it works like a charm Smile now all i got to do is a little cosmettic work. for now i shall call it frankentroller. [/code]

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:40 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
You'll have to post a picture of it. Where is the analog unit now? Outside of the controller, on the right?

shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:55 pm
quote : #3
the analog is now on the right so its easier for me to play fps. as soon as my camera has batteries will post a pic.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:02 pm
quote : #4
That is awesome! Is it sturdy?

The one thing I have been wanting is to take a PS2 controller and invert the analog sticks.

Eitherway I would love to have a controller with the analog on the right.
Posted:
Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:14 pm
quote : #5
have a little bit of experimenting to do but it seems pretty sturdy.all you have to really do is turn the triggers so they point the other way,lots of cutting with the dremmel Twisted Evil .but once you have them turned around it works pretty awsome. dont know how it will work with other fps since the only one i have is q3 at the moment but you can configure the controller so that you aim with the analog.

Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:21 am
quote : #6
So do you just use the d-pad to run and strafe or do you actually have an extra analog on the pad?
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:36 pm
quote : #7
turn your controller around so the analog stick is on the right and you have a basic feel for what its like.the buttons are on the left and work like the wasd on a keyboard. i then turned the triggers around. like i said i have a bit of modding left to do to make it really comfortable but it works quite well the way it is.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:42 pm
quote : #8
That sounds really cool.

I never could get used to aiming with with my left hand and running with my right, it just seemed backwards.

Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:07 pm
quote : #9
That's true, I tried a set-up like that for N64 Quake, I stopped playing after about 15 minutes because the controls felt too strange.
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:03 am
quote : #10
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
That sounds really cool.

I never could get used to aiming with with my left hand and running with my right, it just seemed backwards.

It just takes time to get used to. You have to practice a lot and eventually it will sink in. I finally got motivated to play FPS's on the DC with the controller more when I realised that one would have to use a controller to play 3-4 player splitscreen outtrigger. UT plays great with the "criss-cross" control scheme. You can set this up in Q3 as well, but unfortunatly you cannot in Outtrigger since a cross-cross setting is not available in Outtriggers preset controls.

I can play Outtrigger with the controller "ok" now, but I still need to practice more.
Posted:
Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:22 am
quote : #11
see and my problem is no matter how much i try i cant aim with my left thumb Mad . the buttons do ok to aim with in a slower game but in a twitch shooter i need the analog so thats where the solution came from. i probably will have to make a new controller body for this new set up but it plays so much better that i didnt mind tearing apart one of my controllers to get it.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:24 pm
quote : #12
Type: Pal
I must be an odd one I never found a problem at all aiming with my left thumb even though I am right handed. I think now if I had to aim with the right thumb I wouild find that odd. NOt that it makes a lot of difference I am useless at FPS anyway I just dont find it uncomfortable at all. I was always opposite as a kid as well on our old Spectrum and Acorn electron games all the other kids had the game keys like k-up m-down z-left x-right where as I always chanfged them to a-up z-down <left>-right. Maybe some of this coems down to the era you started playing in? back in the spectrum and electron days it was important to have your best hand free normaly to hammer keys very fast. As I a side note I also eat with my knife and fork the other way round to everyone else Confused

Laters