Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next

Forum: Dreamcast Lounge

Topic: I got karous!!

Page 1 of 2
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:34 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Posts: 1314
Type: PAL
It's good. It's really good.

The music is awesome's. Sounds like drill n' bass to me (like Aphex Twin Wink ), certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

I haven't played much of it yet, but it certainly seems to be more than just Radilgy with a lick o' black paint.
  _________________
Pretty music wot i has made:
http://grandcanonicalensemble.bandcamp.com/
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:20 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Posts: 334
If I wasn't getting the game before, I am now ! Drill, Bass, Aphex Twin, Crows, .......off to order it Exclamation

I feel a Gothic schmup revivalism is upon us.
 
DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:01 pm
quote : #3
profile : pm
Posts: 599
Type: NTSC-U/C
Received mine on Friday still getting used to leveling up weapons.
  _________________
My PSO character stats are here
along with a few other sites I can be found at.
My DC is offline.
lordnikon
rank 86
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:58 am
quote : #4
profile : pm
Posts: 5899
Type: NTSC-U/C
First off this game is absolutly incredible. The leveling system for the weapons is great. It took me a while to get used to the game because I thought it would play like Radirgy. It plays very different. The giant pulsing brain is awesome.

mcmonkey wrote:
The music is awesome's. Sounds like drill n' bass to me (like Aphex Twin Wink ), certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

Actually it isn't music like Aphex Twin and doesn't fall into the experimental category, which is where artists like Aphex and Squarepusher fall into.

The music in Karous is pure Drum & Bass plain and simple. The stage 2 track is absolutly rediculious and mirrors the same tracks I actually spin.

SNK 47 wrote:
I feel a Gothic schmup revivalism is upon us.

Just... What?... No.
  _________________
I'm already numero uno on Dark Helmet's hit list...
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:16 pm
quote : #5
profile : pm
Posts: 334
There is definitely a gothic look to the game. It touches on gothic themes throughout the story, the crow is a staple of gothic culture. I really need to go on ?!

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:25 pm:

I'm ordering the game, the first DC shooter I will have owned from new since Rez and Ikaruga !. Quite exciting it is. Also quite worried that I won't like it, but if the music's as good as you describe it nikon/mcmonkey then that would be a good enough reason to own it.
 
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:00 pm
quote : #6
profile : pm
Posts: 1314
Type: PAL
Well, its good enough to make me consider buying the OST Very Happy
  _________________
Pretty music wot i has made:
http://grandcanonicalensemble.bandcamp.com/
lordnikon
rank 86
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:55 pm
quote : #7
profile : pm
Posts: 5899
Type: NTSC-U/C
SNK 47 wrote:
There is definitely a gothic look to the game. It touches on gothic themes throughout the story, the crow is a staple of gothic culture. I really need to go on ?!

I guess I should have clarrified, but your comment here is also a bit difficult to reply to. If you are referring to "gothic themes" as somehow relative to medival art / architecture, more specifically the use of the girl + angel + shields + swords scenario, then yes I would agree there that gothic artistic themese are at play. However if you are speaking in terms of the pop culture term "goth" and the people that associate with that term, then I would have to barf incoherantly. Associating Karous with a superficial social click makes me want to cleeve my eyes out with a spork.

mcmonkey wrote:
Well, its good enough to make me consider buying the OST Very Happy

And buy you should Wink I can't wait until this soundtrack goes on sale. I havn't heard anything about it yet which has me a bit worried.

Do you own the Radirgy Soundtrack? I own both Chaos Field and Radirgy Soundtracks. I even own the OST that comes with the Insanity DVD set for Radirgy. Which has some exclusive tracks from the arcade version.

Note: You can get 2 free downloads of tracks from the game here:
http://www.mile-stone.co.jp/product/krs/krs_twgt.html

Scroll down until you see "Karous - カラス - Music Free Download !!"

The Stage 01 track is pure Drum & Bass
The Last Boss track is another style of music called "Hardcore" or "Gabber"
  _________________
I'm already numero uno on Dark Helmet's hit list...
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:58 pm
quote : #8
profile : pm
Posts: 334
I'm so glad you understand me now Smile

Indeed I myself would have had to barf incoherently, cleeve my eyes out with a spork and join a superficial click if you hadn't ! lol
I do appreciate Byron, Giles Gilbert Scott and Mary Shelley though, hope you weren't referring to them and their contemporaries as a superficial click ?!

There have been so many gothic revivals over the centuries, both architectural and literary, that one can sometimes forget where the term originated. Of course the Goths were a race of people who looked like Robert Smith, kept pet spiders, and painted their nails purple.

I don't own many game soundtracks. Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia and a few more on other systems. No shooter tracks surprisingly. I'll have a listen to those links.

Whilst I was trying to track down more info on the game, I came across(possible bull**** alert here) a site where it stated Karous has been a total failure sales wise. Does anyone know if this is true ?
 
mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:30 pm
quote : #9
profile : pm
Posts: 368
i think it could be plausible that karous has been a "failure" because of one main reasons, it is a sequel of a game that came out not all that long ago and would rather see something different in trigger heart which came out 2 or 3 weeks ago and people dont either have enough money or dont want to spend the money on 2 $60 (60 right?) plus shipping and possibly more expenses i dont know about. i feel that the release dates of these two games shouldve been farther apart to help each other out, and so that those who want both games dont have to shell out say $140 for both.

keep in mind i havent played either game and have no idea how much it would cost to ship these games, i usually try to stay away from the discussions of these games for that first reason so i dont screw it up and send it off topic instead of your new toys Smile
  _________________
My online dreamcast games:
Starlancer, 4x4 evo, Max Pool, quake 3(username=mrandyk for all)
I'm always up for a game of starlancer 4x4 evo quake 3 or max pool. just pm me if you wanna play.
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:54 am
quote : #10
profile : pm
Posts: 334
mrandyk wrote:
i think it could be plausible that karous has been a "failure" because of one main reasons, it is a sequel of a game that came out not all that long ago and would rather see something different in trigger heart which came out 2 or 3 weeks ago and people dont either have enough money or dont want to spend the money on 2 $60 (60 right?) plus shipping and possibly more expenses i dont know about. i feel that the release dates of these two games shouldve been farther apart to help each other out, and so that those who want both games dont have to shell out say $140 for both.

keep in mind i havent played either game and have no idea how much it would cost to ship these games, i usually try to stay away from the discussions of these games for that first reason so i dont screw it up and send it off topic instead of your new toys Smile


Well it sounds very plausible. I know a few months ago I felt that it was asking a lot for people to come up with the money for all the new games. With Karous, THE and Last Hope it would be over $200 ? Also, unlike most mainstream releases, new Dreamcast games have tended to sell out quite quickly because of limited production runs. The secondhand values are then always inflated. If you don't buy straight away you may never have the game ? I'm ok money wise at the moment, so I can at least afford to buy one or maybe two at some point in the future. I really believe you're right when you say the releases should have been staggered a little more. You would assume that all three gamemakers would have been aware of the potential difficulties and maybe cooperated with each other to avoid the situation.

This is pure speculation here, but the spectre of piracy looms large at the best of times and ,with this scenario, it's almost a given that Karous will suffer because of it.

Still, for once in my life I'm not going to get disheartened because I can't afford a game. I can afford it, and I'm going to enjoy it !
Bring it on !

Posted Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:18 am:

nikon, if that music link is a taste of things to come, I'm very hungry for more !
 
lordnikon
rank 86
Posted:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:37 am
quote : #11
profile : pm
Posts: 5899
Type: NTSC-U/C
SNK 47 wrote:
Whilst I was trying to track down more info on the game, I came across(possible bull**** alert here) a site where it stated Karous has been a total failure sales wise. Does anyone know if this is true ?

People on forums like to do two things:

1.) Get excited and praise video games
2.) Complain and bash the hell out of certain games

For some, all they do is complain and rip into games.

Unfortunatly MileStone's games have cought a ton of flak.

I have come to the realisation that no matter what genre it is, there is only a finite number of players who actually appreciate and take stock in video games.

People interested in more niche genres such as shmups / arcade games can be just as close minded and ignorant as those who drool over "realistic graphics" and buy Madden Football every year. Both Radirgy and now Karous constantly get slammed and stereotyped as being "Flash Games". Was Jet Grind Radio ever considered a Flash Game? Hell no. So because Karous has planar gameplay with 3D cellshaded graphics it is now considered as a Flash game? This idea is completly absurd.

I think 2 major factors effected the sales of Karous. One is the fact that people are stereotyping the game and not giving it a chance. This spreads bad propoganda, and intern causes the sheep (yes there are sheep even in underground niche game markets) to not buy the game. Also like it has already been stated, people dropping money to get Trigger Heart may have been lessing willing to spend even more money when Karous came out.

More people should by buying and enjoying Karous in my opinion. Anyone who does not own this game is missing out. For those who can't get passed the games music, or its graphical style, I say "oh well". People need to take off their blinders and give a game a chance.

SNK 47 wrote:
...Dreamcast games have tended to sell out quite quickly because of limited production runs. The secondhand values are then always inflated. If you don't buy straight away you may never have the game ? I'm ok money wise at the moment, so I can at least afford to buy one or maybe two at some point in the future.

Actually these games had very very very small production runs. People don't realise this because they go on sale and are available at every gameshop, but 2000-6000 manufactured games is not a lot. Games deemed "RARE" on other consoles have higher production runs than this. You have to get in and score these games while you still can. I thank my lucky stars I bought Border Down Limited Edition for $85.00 a few years back. Now it goes for over $200

There is a way to sort of get all of these shooters slightly cheaper, but it involves a different strategy. I will make a new topic to go over this.

SNK 47 wrote:
This is pure speculation here, but the spectre of piracy looms large at the best of times and ,with this scenario, it's almost a given that Karous will suffer because of it.

Yea I would also have to agree here. I know some people that have pirated this game, could have easily afforded to buy it, but opted not to spend the money.

SNK 47 wrote:
Still, for once in my life I'm not going to get disheartened because I can't afford a game. I can afford it, and I'm going to enjoy it ! Bring it on !

If you can acquire them one at a time, I say go for it. Just save your pennies and try and get them when and where you can.
  _________________
I'm already numero uno on Dark Helmet's hit list...
X
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:52 am
quote : #12
profile : pm
Posts: 136
I just bought Karous brand new/sealed off ebay with the phone card. I was a bit late buying it because I had no money after getting Trigger Heart. I'm glad I found the Sega Direct version for a good price on ebay. Looking forward to it...
 
lordnikon
rank 86
Posted:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:27 am
quote : #13
profile : pm
Posts: 5899
Type: NTSC-U/C
If you look at the two topics for pre-orders, all of the people that bought Trigger Heart have now also bought Karous. I guess we can tell who here has money flowing in to get these games (DaMan, lordnikon, mcmonkey, Starwalker, X).

X, how much did you get your Karous Sega Direct version for?
  _________________
I'm already numero uno on Dark Helmet's hit list...
X
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:47 am
quote : #14
profile : pm
Posts: 136
I got it for $64.98 (US dollars) I can't remember how much Play Asia had it for, does anyone remember?
 
lordnikon
rank 86
Posted:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:08 am
quote : #15
profile : pm
Posts: 5899
Type: NTSC-U/C
Is that figure after shipping? If so that it an amazing deal.

The Sega Direct release of Karous retailed for $79.90 before shipping at Play-Asia.
  _________________
I'm already numero uno on Dark Helmet's hit list...
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Display:   
 
View previous topic - View next topic
Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next