Topic: Mouse support in Rez

Page 1 of 1
X
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:38 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I heard there was mouse support in Rez even though it doesn't say it on the box. Does anyone know if it does work?

I tried my mouse in both ports A and B however I can't get it to work. I have the Japanese version of Rez by the way if that makes any difference.

Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:15 am
quote : #2
It works fine on my PAL copy.

Although I have to start with a pad in port A to choose 60hz before the game starts as it doesn't let you do that with the mouse for some reason. You also have to type in your name with the pad because you can't do that either.

It's sorta semi-supported. Maybe that's why it's not included on the box. I still enjoy using the mouse though!

X
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:33 am
quote : #3
Hi, so do you start with a pad plugged in? And then swap it for a mouse in port A? Thanks

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:24 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Wow I never thought to try this before. I am going to have to check this out tonight when I get home.
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:53 am
quote : #5
Type: PAL
It looks like a DC mouse is another thing I need to add to The List
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:52 pm
quote : #6
Whoa, that's cool.

Mouse support in Rez.

Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:04 am
quote : #7
The only reason I start with the pad in port A is because the game doesn't let you select 50/60hz with the mouse on the PAL version.

If you're using a NTSC-J copy then I imagine booting the game up with the mouse in port A would work fine.

You'll need a pad in one of the other ports anyway of course because otherwise you would have no save file!

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:06 am
quote : #8
So...

Does this improve the game play at all?

Or...

Is it just a nice little thing to do with the game every now and again?
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:52 am
quote : #9
I feel using a mouse is simply an interesting novelty. The controller is much more suited for this game because you have to pound on the fire button over and over again. Using a mouse would be interesting for moving the reticle around, but for actually shooting? oh boy... your wrist would break in half from carpel tunnel in less than 15 minutes.

Believe it or not, another really cool way to play Rez is with an Arcade stick. Highly recommended Smile You get full arm movement, and can slam away on the fire button. Its pretty nice.
Posted:
Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:30 am
quote : #10
That sounds pretty cool, i'm going to try that!
Posted:
Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:01 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
Believe it or not, another really cool way to play Rez is with an Arcade stick. Highly recommended Smile You get full arm movement, and can slam away on the fire button. Its pretty nice.

I think I may, since I'm now in possession of a Saturn to DC controller adapter. Very Happy

EDIT: bought DC mouse, works beautifully. Seems like you have to swap between controller and mouse if you want to save though...
rank 5
Posted:
Wed May 16, 2007 5:47 pm
quote : #12
what is the general concenses for the best way to play rez? i personally have to agree with lordnikon mainly for two reasons,
1 control wise turning around takes way to long with the mouse and the controller feels more natural
2 no rumble pack, which i feel is quite an important part of the whole synesthesia aspect of the rez experience

Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Thu May 17, 2007 4:59 am
quote : #13
Yeah, the pad is the best. The mouse would be great but you don't get rumble and the sensitivity has been turned right down (otherwise the game would be way too easy)

@ mcmonkey... why don't you leave the pad and VMU in port 2? Then you dont have to swap!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu May 17, 2007 9:17 am
quote : #14
There are some games where the save function is controller port dependent. Ikaruga has this for instance. You have to have a VMU accessible from port 1 in order to save high scores from that player. I tried it in 2 and it didn't work, though I never tried 3 or 4.

I am un-sure ir Rez has port dependent saving or not.
Posted:
Thu May 17, 2007 5:16 pm
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
I am un-sure ir Rez has port dependent saving or not.

I think I'll have to go experiment, but I'm fairly sure that that is the case.

(but I think I had to keep changing because I ha my controller in port A when it first loaded. hmmm...)

Le Spank wrote:
@ mcmonkey... why don't you leave the pad and VMU in port 2? Then you dont have to swap!

I think I may...