Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Raz1r
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:56 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
kingbuzzo wrote:
ok, I'm all fixed up here, and will start a fresh attempt at the pc-dc server in a couple days

Great! Keep us posted. I don't know how long it will take me to do the same, but that doesn't mean I can't help out. I just found out that my other Grandmother has Dial-Up. (What is it with my Grandparents and Dial-Up?) She would let me use her PC (Windows ME) or just the cable and the TV. She doesn't use either of them very much. I need to go out and find some supplies however.

Darksecond wrote:
i think i can make some sort of console-only live-cd, based on slax. you can also install it to HD. it would have a couple of shell scripts to configure everything.

I think we should work on these Shell scripts first. If we can release these, and get them to work on any version of Linux then it will be much easier to make a distro around. Be sure to include proper documentation (in the form of comments) to make it easier for others to develop.
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:51 am
quote : #17
that's true, the shell scripts indeed have to work on every distro, that has mgetty and pppd onboard (those are required). the rest is optional. shall we also include things like Q3A servers? would be nice, a all in one cd
i am getting my PC-DC computer the 19th, then i can start building the PC-DC scripts
Posted:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:25 pm
quote : #18
Darksecond wrote:
that's true, the shell scripts indeed have to work on every distro, that has mgetty and pppd onboard (those are required). the rest is optional. shall we also include things like Q3A servers? would be nice, a all in one cd
i am getting my PC-DC computer the 19th, then i can start building the PC-DC scripts

I just got a "For Dummies" book on Linux Programming. I've read through the first chapter and I'm starting to get an Idea of how this might work. I need to find an extra power cable for this old 486 I have in my closet before I can test anything. Heh, I guess I should get a copy of an actual online game too. Q3, Starlancer, or 4x4 Evo? I need to know which one has more options in networking.

I want to include Q3:A stuff, and extra modules for hardware. I have a feeling that the scripts may be a little more popular than the distro itself, but that doesn't mean we can't make it. Very Happy
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:41 pm
quote : #19
i'm pretty sure Q3 has the best network options. It has all this server applications and such online, starlancer and 4x4 evo work off Gamespy servers so they have very restrictive networking.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:44 pm
quote : #20
Type: NTSC-U/C
Shoeless wrote:
i'm pretty sure Q3 has the best network options. It has all this server applications and such online, starlancer and 4x4 evo work off Gamespy servers so they have very restrictive networking.

4x4 Evo does not work entirely off of gamespy. All that it uses for GameSpy is the buddy list. The chat/lobby system is something else which is in the hands of the 4x4 Evo community but people who have it refuse to release it.
Posted:
Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:31 am
quote : #21
lordnikon wrote:
Shoeless wrote:

4x4 Evo does not work entirely off of gamespy. All that it uses for GameSpy is the buddy list. The chat/lobby system is something else which is in the hands of the 4x4 Evo community but people who have it refuse to release it.

what's their reason for that? bragging rights?

Raz1r
rank 4
Posted:
Tue May 08, 2007 5:40 pm
quote : #22
Shoeless wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
Shoeless wrote:

what's their reason for that? bragging rights?

That's what I would guess. But that "Community" probably ends up as being one guy.

Is there any way to modify the PC version to make, like, a homebrew server? If there is, we could include it in the distro.
rank 9
Posted:
Wed May 09, 2007 8:56 am
quote : #23
Type: PAL
I don't know if this is totally related but you might have missed this, be sure to check it out Very Happy

Raz1r
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:14 pm
quote : #24
Segata Sanshiro wrote:
I don't know if this is totally related but you might have missed this, be sure to check it out Very Happy

Thanks, Sanshiro. I have no clue about Perl, but I'm sure someone out here does.

If anyone would like to take lead on this little "project" go ahead. I've been gone for awhile just because of lots of stuff going on.
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:15 pm
quote : #25
Raz1r wrote:
Segata Sanshiro wrote:

Thanks, Sanshiro. I have no clue about Perl, but I'm sure someone out here does.

If anyone would like to take lead on this little "project" go ahead. I've been gone for awhile just because of lots of stuff going on.

Perl is my main programming language. Drop me a pm or something if you need any help, or if I can do something. Maybe I can make some time free.

I tried to download that thing, but the download link is broken. I get some kind of php error from that site.

http://www.pcc-online.net
mjgaming
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:27 pm
quote : #26
Type: NTSC-U
How far have you got on the project. I would really LOVE to play my dreamcast online again but I can't go out and spend a whole bunch on the Broadband Adapter!
Posted:
Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:14 pm
quote : #27
I've only just gotten back into this

the best guide is currently right here....

http://www.ryochan7.com/blog/2009/06/23/pc-dc-server-guide-part-0-introduction/

some problems is that each os update changes a lot of things and once working systems need to be setup differently.

http://susestudio.com/ is a very easy way to setup a distro. But setting up game servers will not be something that would work out of the box
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:57 pm
quote : #28
If I manage to get my Linux PC <-> DC server up and running I might attempt to make a distro.

Muzer
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:16 pm
quote : #29
My dialup server on my PC works perfectly now, so:

I'd be very interested in working on this - I'd base it on Ubuntu as I absolutely HATE SUSE!

Let me know if you'd like me to - I'm sure I'd make a very good job on it. We could all work together in fact!

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00 am
quote : #30
Muzer wrote:
My dialup server on my PC works perfectly now, so:

I'd be very interested in working on this - I'd base it on Ubuntu as I absolutely HATE SUSE!

Let me know if you'd like me to - I'm sure I'd make a very good job on it. We could all work together in fact!

Probably a bit late, but could you post some info about you're setup? What modem, distro, etc