Page Location: Home > Archive - PAL PSO > Topic
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:55 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Posts: 810
Type: NTSC-U/C
OK, first things first, let me just say, "don't get your hopes up"

I decided to do a bit of research into the IP address of the EU PSO servers today, you can see my initial postings here

The upshot of it is, I found out where the servers are located and who has control of them, its a company called NTT Europe who are based in London and NOT SEGA, sega have a contract with NTT Europe for a number of different things, including (we think) the EU Dreamcast PSO servers.

I contacted NTT Europe today and was put in contact with a guy who is apparently a manager of some sort...not technical support...this means I have managed to get past the usual dumb customer service workers Smile I even now have a direct contact number for him and he seems interested and eager to help and has said he will look into it personally. The upshot of the conversation was that he could not currently say with any certainty that they hosted the server, but he did say that SEGA definately have an account with them and that they DO HOST servers for SEGA.

After I had told him the story of what has happened he seemed very intrigued and interested, including a comment about how impressed he was that I tracked them down....lol (not that hard). Anyway, he said he had contacts directly with SEGA-europe and that he would contact them tomorrow after his meetings to see what is going on...he also said he would talk to the tech guys to find out what is happening with the server. He then took my contact details and said he would contact me tomorrow and (as said above) he gave me his direct contact number.

All this, so far looks promising, we have someone in NTT Europe who is willing to at least try to help us and has direct contact with the type of people we need to contact.

So...whats next? Well I await his response tomorrow, but in the mean time would anybody be willing to take charge of some kind of E-mail campaign to SEGA? It needs to be professional and straight to the point...but I don't really know where to start..so if anybody want to take charge feel free. We could also take the route of sending letters in a similar fashion to the originally planned "Worms world party campaign" but this needs to be done as quickly as possilble...time is of the essence Smile

I think we have 4 possibilities here:

1. The most likely thing is that this will come to nothing and nobody will budge and the servers will stay offline
2. Sega will agree to give us the server software...we know where it is now, again unlikly
3. Sega will agree to put the server back up...possible
4. We might be given the option to start paying for the servers ourselves

Option 4 needs some thinking about.....don't know how much this would cost, but how much could we scrape together?

If we get the server software that would be a result but in order to host them properly NTT need to keep hosting them...so this is my primary goal

OK, guys let me know what ur thinking?

UPDATE:

Hi all,

Ok, I think the only way to do this is to write your letters and E-mail them to me...if you can please include a image of your signature so it can be included on the letter...please send all letters in word format if possible, but anything will probably be fine.

The Goal:

The primary objective here is to get NTT Erope to start hosting the servers again, but that will not happen without Sega-europes say so, so we need them to either agree to keep them up or agree to give us the oppurtunity to take over the server contract with NTT Europe, the only trouble is we do not know how much this would cost if offered

The goal for this project IS NOT for server software I may try this if all else fails but I think we all know that they are not gonna give out any of their server software

WRITE YOUR LETTER:

OK, gonna borrow lordnikons guidline now, hope you don'e mind nikon:

Guidelines:

Include an explanation on why you would prefer to play PSO on the Dreamcast hardware as opposed to other hardware platforms.

If you played PSO online for your Dreamcast before, please recall some of your fond memories of playing online.

If you have never played PSO online before, please write about why you would like to play it online.

Add any addition comments you might want to include on your own.

Include your full name, regional location, and email contact. A home address is not required. Just include your City, State/Province, and Country.

Please take care in writing your letter! Do not just scribble 1 paragraph, and do not make a long-winded tail. Aim for half a page to 2 pages.

Please email all "Save PSO" letters to: savepso@blueyonder.co.uk

Get going guys, can't promise this will work, but we'll try it....deadline is as soon as possible, I want to send these off the latest of TUESDAY 10th (easter gets in the way) so get going

UPDATE:

DEADLINE FOR LETTERS: 9th April 2007 (9pm GMT+1)

I am having to enforce this very early deadline as time is not on our side, please support this campaign!

Last edited by segadreamcaster on Tue May 08, 2007 7:57 am; edited 33 times in total
  _________________
Game Names:

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
K_I_R_E_E_K
unknown
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:00 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Posts: 229
Type: PAL
well, until tomorrow i can only say this.......ahem........AWSOME.
great work segadreamcaster.....if this works you will be worship like a GOD
 
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:00 pm
quote : #3
profile : pm
Posts: 1085
Type: PAL
Well what i need to know is what are we after?
I am fully behind this bu a m not quite sure what exactly we want.
Do we want:

- The servers to be put back online by whoever is hosting them

OR

- For them to give us the servers/software

thanks, lozz.
  _________________
It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:03 pm
quote : #4
profile : pm
Posts: 810
Type: NTSC-U/C
Updated main post with goals...
  _________________
Game Names:

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Zen
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:15 pm
quote : #5
profile : pm
Posts: 4
You're amazing for going to all that trouble segadreamcaster, anything I can do to help let me know.

I'm hoping Option 3 will happen. I wouldn't even mind paying a HL if it meant DC was back online.
 
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:15 pm
quote : #6
profile : pm
Posts: 922
Type: NTSC-U/C
Responding to your last post in the EU server closure thread (I'm going to keep all server talk in here from now on), I probably won't be able to take full charge of things at the moment, but I'll help out however I can. What really needs to happen is everyone work together. This could go very well or completely derail in the course of a few hours.

Like Segadreamcaster said, time is against us. If they still haven't removed the software, like many other companies, they probably misplaced the original installation disc so we need to intervene while they still have it on the server and know where the server is.

I wouldn't push our luck with trying to obtain the full software. This is highly unlikely since it's probable that they borrowed certain bits of code for games like Phantasy Star Universe. The only way I could see them potentially parting with it is to buy it from them (in the unlikely event they'd be willing to sell), but the price would undoubtedly be too much for a private community.

I know a lot of that probably sounds discouraging, but I'd rather build our hopes up on facts rather then sugar coat it and get the hopes up of people who may misinterpret something or start spreading an idea around as if it were based on facts.

Let's see what NTT has to say and we'll proceed from there. If Segadreamcaster's contact responds and says Sega won't allow it, then that's it.
 
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:31 pm
quote : #7
profile : pm
Posts: 810
Type: NTSC-U/C
Dreamcast wrote:
Responding to your last post in the EU server closure thread (I'm going to keep all server talk in here from now on), I probably won't be able to take full charge of things at the moment, but I'll help out however I can. What really needs to happen is everyone work together. This could go very well or completely derail in the course of a few hours.

Like Segadreamcaster said, time is against us. If they still haven't removed the software, like many other companies, they probably misplaced the original installation disc so we need to intervene while they still have it on the server and know where the server is.

I wouldn't push our luck with trying to obtain the full software. This is highly unlikely since it's probable that they borrowed certain bits of code for games like Phantasy Star Universe. The only way I could see them potentially parting with it is to buy it from them (in the unlikely event they'd be willing to sell), but the price would undoubtedly be too much for a private community.

I know a lot of that probably sounds discouraging, but I'd rather build our hopes up on facts rather then sugar coat it and get the hopes up of people who may misinterpret something or start spreading an idea around as if it were based on facts.

Let's see what NTT has to say and we'll proceed from there. If Segadreamcaster's contact responds and says Sega won't allow it, then that's it.


OK, all sounds good...I think our only real hope is that we get NTT to host it again, either by SEGA giving the go ahead to start hosting again or by paying for it ourselves...these are the two most likely and best chances.

In the meantime the only thing I can suggest is that everybody write a letter in a simialr fashion to Worms (unless anybody objects?), explain why you want it back what PSO means to you, any friends you will lose etc etc...just try and make it professional and realistic...say why you love DC PSO Smile

I don't know if such letters will ever be used but if we start to write them now we will hopefully be ready if we do need them.

Cheers, Craig

PS: Hey Zen Smile glad you registered here....only ever seen you on DC PSO and would not want to lose you from the DC online community Smile Thanks for your comments and everyone supportive comments thus far...feel free to start writing a letter, its the only thing I can think we can do as a communit at the moment...

Last edited by segadreamcaster on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
  _________________
Game Names:

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:32 pm
quote : #8
profile : pm
Posts: 218
Type: NTSC-U/C
I hope they will, but I'm pretty sure SEGA won't allow it. If they are put back online, it will force me to go on the internet and get PAL PSO with one day shipping. XD
 
U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:45 pm
quote : #9
profile : pm
Posts: 331
Ok guys, if NTT should happen to host it, it will cost money, and it won't be cheap. I honestly think that would cost more than we could afford.
  _________________
Red River RAmar
K_I_R_E_E_K
unknown
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:51 pm
quote : #10
profile : pm
Posts: 229
Type: PAL
segadreamcaster wrote:
Dreamcast wrote:
Responding to your last post in the EU server closure thread (I'm going to keep all server talk in here from now on), I probably won't be able to take full charge of things at the moment, but I'll help out however I can. What really needs to happen is everyone work together. This could go very well or completely derail in the course of a few hours.

Like Segadreamcaster said, time is against us. If they still haven't removed the software, like many other companies, they probably misplaced the original installation disc so we need to intervene while they still have it on the server and know where the server is.

I wouldn't push our luck with trying to obtain the full software. This is highly unlikely since it's probable that they borrowed certain bits of code for games like Phantasy Star Universe. The only way I could see them potentially parting with it is to buy it from them (in the unlikely event they'd be willing to sell), but the price would undoubtedly be too much for a private community.

I know a lot of that probably sounds discouraging, but I'd rather build our hopes up on facts rather then sugar coat it and get the hopes up of people who may misinterpret something or start spreading an idea around as if it were based on facts.

Let's see what NTT has to say and we'll proceed from there. If Segadreamcaster's contact responds and says Sega won't allow it, then that's it.


OK, all sounds good...I think our only real hope is that we get NTT to host it again, either by SEGA giving the go ahead to start hosting again or by paying for it ourselves...these are the two most likely and best chances.

In the meantime the only thing I can suggest is that everybody write a letter in a simialr fashion to Worms (unless anybody objects?), explain why you want it back what PSO means to you, any friends you will lose etc etc...just try and make it professional and realistic...say why you love DC PSO Smile

I don't know if such letters will ever be used but if we start to write them now we will hopefully be ready if we do need them.

Cheers, Craig

PS: Hey Zen Smile glad you registered here....only ever seen you on DC PSO and would not want to lose you from the DC online community Smile Thanks for your comments and everyone supportive comments thus far...feel free to start writing a letter, its the only thing I can think we can do as a communit at the moment...

where do i send the letter......i have feelings too
 
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:08 pm
quote : #11
profile : pm
Posts: 922
Type: NTSC-U/C
Let's try to use the quote function for displaying specific information. It gets messy when you're quoting quotes. If you're directing your comment to someone, use their username instead. Smile

U-235 makes a good point. While we wait for NTT's reponse, in addition to our letters, let's try to come up with some ways to offset the cost. Since the IP is still able to be pinged, it's probably a shared server. If that's the case, then the cost will be a lot less than a dedicated server. Since we really don't have that many people playing, we won't really cause much load on the server. Perhaps we could persuade them to run it at a discount for us. The service tier Sega had purchased was probably meant for when there was a much higher volume of players.

Segadreamcaster, have you read the warning at NTT Europe's website (Edit: They took it down)? I hope the person you talked to isn't mentioned there. Very Happy

Last edited by Dreamcast ™ on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
 
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:25 pm
quote : #12
profile : pm
Posts: 334
I see the company won the 'WCA Best Customer Care Award 2005' !

Nice to know.
 
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:11 pm
quote : #13
profile : pm
Posts: 810
Type: NTSC-U/C
K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:
where do i send the letter......i have feelings too


At the moment i'm not sure, might be best to send it to me when complete and I will do something along the lines of what Lordnikon intended with worms...I will send them all off in a pack perhaps?...dunno...just write them for now and we'll take it from there, thats all I can say Confused
  _________________
Game Names:

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Segata Sanshiro
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 pm
quote : #14
profile : pm
Posts: 108
Type: PAL
Some of you might remember Negora. He was the guy behind the Dreamalive campaign to bring Dreamarena back. If you don't know him I'll try to find the original story and translate/post it here. He finally didn't succeed, but got really far. I'm saying this because he might be able to, at least, give some advice.

Good luck sega, you know you can count on us for anything. There's little chance of success but it's worth trying.
 
mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:18 pm
quote : #15
profile : pm
Posts: 368
if i remember correctly you were behind getting max pool back segadreamcaster, or you at least started the topic about getting it back. this is a little bigger than max pool though, good luck.
  _________________
My online dreamcast games:
Starlancer, 4x4 evo, Max Pool, quake 3(username=mrandyk for all)
I'm always up for a game of starlancer 4x4 evo quake 3 or max pool. just pm me if you wanna play.
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Display:   
 
View previous topic - View next topic
Page Location: Home > Archive - PAL PSO > Topic
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next