1, 2  Next
JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Sat May 19, 2007 10:12 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
sonicteam10 from Dreamcast-Scene received a reply from PlanetWeb, and it seems we will see PlanetWeb for Dreamcast kicking ass again in the next week! Surprised

This is the message received:

Quote:
On Thu, 17 May 2007 22:24:07 -0700, "Ken Soohoo" <<soohoo>
said:
Dear Erik,

Sorry that you've been emailing pwsales, its really not the right place to make Dreamcast requests. The reason dreamcast.planetweb.com is down is that Planetweb moved locations and we don't have the same network capabilities in our new location. We're going to try to bring it back online next week, but we're quite busy and not sure we can get to it.

Please do check back regularly.

Thanks for your patience.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Sat May 19, 2007 11:17 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
oh right thats pretty cool, nice that they are intending to put it back up...very nice Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Sat May 19, 2007 1:25 pm
quote : #3
It's probably because of the problems some people have been having connecting since the site went down. I've been working with him to get over those problems, I think they are putting it back up so people don't have connection issues anymore.
Posted:
Mon May 21, 2007 8:41 am
quote : #4
Hopefully then I can try and manually archive as much as I can. The problem with before is that any archive software I would use, would hit the search script they have in place and lock up the archival process. No fun Crying or Very sad
Posted:
Mon May 21, 2007 8:44 am
quote : #5
That and they have some of the sections locked down to PC users, like the video section.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 21, 2007 8:47 am
quote : #6
Yea but you just have to set your useragent to a planetweb dreamcast one on your PC browser and you can snag the stuff no problem :]
Posted:
Mon May 21, 2007 10:35 am
quote : #7
The videos work for the dreamcast too, It just takes a while to load...... 15 minutes I think.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Mon May 21, 2007 10:43 am
quote : #8
We were referring to the serverside implementation that prevents browsers other than Planetweb's from accessing the content.

It does take a while to load, though. Even through broadband.

sonicteam10
rank 3
Posted:
Mon May 21, 2007 10:48 am
quote : #9
o I understand. ^_^

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Mon May 28, 2007 11:31 am
quote : #10
Hopefully it comes back soon, the first time I found out about it, I didn't get to really look at it and the next time I went there it was gone.
Posted:
Mon May 28, 2007 9:27 pm
quote : #11
its really nothin special, at least to me. I only ever used it for the game saves to save vmu space.
nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:37 pm
quote : #12
I just emailed him and he told me yes, it is coming back online. But, the site is not high on there list of things to do, so it might be awhile before it comes back.
Posted:
Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:08 am
quote : #13
Dear Dreamcast Fans,

We've gotten dreamcast.planetweb.com out of storage and its back online.
When we can, we'll move it to a location that's easier to maintain, so it may go up and down over the next month.

Thanks for the patience.

Sincerely,
Ken

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 am
quote : #14
Hello Ken,

My goal is to archive the dreamcast.planetweb.com site to the point where if and when the site needs to come down for good, people won't be so up in arms the next time it goes down. A large reason why so many people want the site back up is for nostalgia. They just feel good knowing it is still around I guess. There are some who do get some use out of the site through the tools.planetweb.com site, as well as the vast VMU gamesave archive at dreamcast.planetweb.com.

I know that these sites can't stay up forever, and eventually it will get to the point where the cost/benifit of keeping them online is not worth the trouble. I plan to archive the site so that in the future, PlanetWeb can close it down if necessary. So far Ken you have shown true dedication to the Dreamcast fanbase by keeping this site alive. I know how hard it must be to divert attention from real work / liesure time to fix the dreamcast.planetweb.com website.

If it is any consolation, there was some very important historical media that was acquired the last time you put dreamcast.planetweb.com back online from its period of downtime. You may not be aware of this, but videos or screenshots of actual online gameplay for since terminated Dreamcast Online games is very scarce. I have spent 4 years tracking down any visual representation of what it was like to play certain Dreamcast games online. For Alien Front Online, the only video footage I have of the online experience, is the 2 .SFD video files located on dreamcast.planetweb.com. The videos, though small, show player names above the tanks / alien craft, meaning it is online gameplay footage. This is the only known video record of the game known to exist. Now that the site is back up, I can once again sift through any remaining text / media for more historical documentation.

By the way, I ordered PlanetWeb 3.0 from you a few months back. Thanks for offering this at a great price. It is great to finally own the browser. It was rather hard to find prior to PlanetWeb selling it on ebay.

Thanks again for everything.

Regards,
Ben Pekarek
Founder / Administrator
www.onlineconsoles.com
Posted:
Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:56 am
quote : #15
It's great Mr. Planetweb still cares about us dreamcast fans!

3 cheers for Mr. Soohoo and the PW team!

...and me!