Topic: Counter-Strike DC

Page 2 of 8
pannta
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:01 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
OMFG!!, i just cream my pants!! i hope this is true!!!
Posted:
Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:37 pm
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
id like this to be true. but i doubt it very much. not to be a nay sayer but unless i see the game or even a beta running on my DC i wont believe it.
Posted:
Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:20 am
quote : #18
Updates. New screens from dc hardware.
http://www.dcfan.net.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=7220#post7220
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:28 am
quote : #19
Type: PAL
Interesting. Any chance of someone filming it being played with a DC from disc? Or am I asking for too much...
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:19 am
quote : #20
Let's just be happy with what we have now, and pray that this game materialises soon. Because from the updated screenshots that I saw, this looks bloody amazing.

If someone could impliment split-screen multiplayer or system-link or something, this would be THE independant release to top all others. Thanks to whoever is making it.

NB-DanTE
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:50 am
quote : #21
Great work man realy cool can't wait , playing CS online on DC it's awsome Surprised ( i know i'm dreaming )
Posted:
Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:08 pm
quote : #22
I remembered this project the other day. I didn't know if it had been abandoned or something since I haven't heard anything about it.

I'm glad to see some updates Smile

RadioSpade
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:52 pm
quote : #23
Shining_Lord wrote:
But IT'S NO FAKE. We developing this project since summer 2006. We anounced this project on DC forums. Thanks. Dreamcast forever ! It was single. Multiplauer very hard idea.

Shining_Lord

While it's a testament to one's coding skill that a CS mod be released for dreamcast, it sounds like it won't be multiplayer at all. That puts quite a damper on things.
-Schthack: Asar Zo'am lvl 001
Starwalker
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:15 am
quote : #24
RadioSpade wrote:
Shining_Lord wrote:
But IT'S NO FAKE. We developing this project since summer 2006. We anounced this project on DC forums. Thanks. Dreamcast forever ! It was single. Multiplauer very hard idea.

Shining_Lord

While it's a testament to one's coding skill that a CS mod be released for dreamcast, it sounds like it won't be multiplayer at all. That puts quite a damper on things.

If it was online multiplayer it would be like a dream, or just any multiplayer option, 4 split-screen or link cable, but of course that's very hard to do, so far no one did a homebrew game or mod with multiplayer online and probably no split-screen and link cable too.

But will be very interesting anyway if theres bots for both teams Smile
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:24 pm
quote : #25
Just being able to play Counter-Strike on my Dreamcast is awesome enough.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:37 pm
quote : #26
Is it even going to be a direct port of Counter-Strike? Somehow I just know this will all result in a mutated mod-scene looking game that is just a bunch of randomness with no direction or cohesiveness. If it is a direct port of counterstrike that is great, but if its just Half-Life, or some other mod with CS weapons / sfx, then it will be a big amateur mess.
Posted:
Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:51 am
quote : #27
lordnikon wrote:
it is a direct port of counterstrike that is great, but if its just Half-Life, or some other mod with CS weapons / sfx, then it will be a big amateur mess.

If I remember correctly, then Counter-Strike was originally based off the Half Life engine. So it won't just be "some amateur mess".

Just cut the dev team some slack, rather than acting negatively to every bit of update that they give.

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:56 am
quote : #28
Counter-Strike was originally "some amateur mess". Then Valve realized its popularity and embraced it as an official Half-Life mod.
Posted:
Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:56 am
quote : #29
Gryzor wrote:
Just cut the dev team some slack, rather than acting negatively to every bit of update that they give.

Notice I clearly stated both possible outcomes. There is a chance this could turn out worthwhile, but a greater percentage that it will be a mutated montage of Half-Life and CS featuring textures / weapons swapped out and players planted on maps for you to shoot at. This would have no focused direction, hence my usage of the term "mess". Rather than offline deathmatch against bots, or a single player story arch, it would be more like a tech demo to simply display tinkering with HL on the DC.

phredreeke wrote:
Counter-Strike was originally "some amateur mess". Then Valve realized its popularity and embraced it as an official Half-Life mod.

Counter-Strike was originally a mod of Half-Life, yes this is true. The same can be said for many other mods on any other PC game. However we need to be realistic here. Counter-Strike was a mod on the PC that had direction towards a final result. It was a complete mod.

The current "experimentations" with Half-Life on the Dreamcast are just that, experiments. Getting a map to load, and shooting an NPC from the single player with a CS weapon is just a tech demo.

If the final released result is nothing more than this on a grander scale, then that would be considered an amateur mess. It is the same thing as all of those Beats of Rage mods people try to pass off as "original creations".

However if the team has a goal of getting CS working on the DC in a near final form, then that is something that would be considered a worthwhile endevour.

---

I wish I could sit here saying things like "OMG! CS will be out this saturdayz? with online? 4 JOY! Greatest day evar!", and add 100 smilies... The fact is I don't live in this fantasy land, and do what I can to prevent other people from thinking like this as well.
Posted:
Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:35 pm
quote : #30
i can see the good and bad for both sides of that argument. for one you don't want to get your hopes up b/c chances are slim that it'll work out. but on the other hand i don't see the harm in bieng a little wishfull maybe this enthusiasm will give these ?developers? the incentive to go beyond just a workable tech demo. and if not maybe someone will take what they give us and expand upon it. i know its a bit much to wish for but hey if there are people out there who are still developing games for my atari 2600 then maybe there will be some who make the dreamcast there personal software hobby. and besides try as you might not to get excited about the posibility of cs appearing on the dc you just know that counterstrike would rock on the dc.