Topic: Was Shenmue a mistake?

Page 1 of 3
jesus.arnold
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:00 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I been thinking about this a lot recently, it feels like a double edged sword to me, on the the one hand it was one of the first times you could fully immerse yourself in a videogame world, and i feel that it really pushed the artistic boundaries for videogames, but on the other side it lost sega so much money and all the people who became so enthralled in the plot may never even get the end of the story. This game, i feel is probably one of the games that shows best sega's artistic talents as well as their business ineptitude at the same time.
Posted:
Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:20 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Sega lost a lot of money because Dreamcast marketing was not good.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:37 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
The amount of money Sega put into Shenmue shows that they were supporting Yu Suzuki in his vision 100%. They gave him whatever he wanted to get the project done.

Tons of games pull a profit and manage to make a halfway decent game on a managed budget. But these games won't be remembered.

Shenmue on the otherhand is immortal. It will be remembered forever as being one of the greats. I don't think Shenmue was a mistake. Games that push boundries like this are never are.
Posted:
Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:58 pm
quote : #4
Shenmue was a very expensive game. It was also a very amazing game.

Even though it costed an insane amount of money, it more or less touches every person that plays it, that in my opinion is more important.

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:04 pm
quote : #5
Wasn't Shenmue meant to be a Sonic the Hedgehog moment for Sega?

I remember reading somewhere that Sega were realy counting on it being the next big thing in gaming (a la Sonic). So much so in fact, that they designed the dreamcast around it. They were so very sure that their was something so very special about the game that they pooled a phenomenal amount resources into it.

It's a pity the majority of the gaming populace just didn't get it. Crying or Very sad
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:58 pm
quote : #6
How much did games like Jet Set Radio, Ooga Booga, Rez or even Chu Chu Rocket cost to make?, i wouldn't call any of these games "halfway decent", i believe that chu chu rocket could be considered the pinnacle of the puzzle genre in the same way that Shenmue could be considered the pinnacle of the action rpg genre and i'd imagine the budget was tiny. It wasn't as if sega were low on creativity at the time, for the 70,000,000 odd dollars worth they spent on shenmue they could've made a whole range of classics and this way at least they wouldn't of been putting all there eggs into one basket. Anyway i guess i'm kinda playing devils advocate here because i do love shenmue and personally think it probably was worth it.
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:15 am
quote : #7
id say the only mistake was slplitting it into different games. now ill never know how it ends. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:04 am
quote : #8
Thats an endless and senseless discussion - point.
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:24 am
quote : #9
MasterChief wrote:
id say the only mistake was slplitting it into different games. now ill never know how it ends. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

So the Shenmue epic should have had a single release on 12 GD-ROM discs? Cool
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:41 am
quote : #10
I'm just grateful I was able to experience Shenmue I and II on Dreamcast as it is. Sure, I would love to finish out the saga, but I wouldn't pass up what I've experienced so far. Shenmue truly is a groundbreaking game, and I would call it one of the original "sandbox" open world games designed for consoles.

I still hold out hope that Yu will find a way to complete his vision.

How are my little crackers doing today?
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:17 am
quote : #11
jesus.arnold wrote:
It wasn't as if sega were low on creativity at the time, for the 70,000,000 odd dollars worth they spent on shenmue they could've made a whole range of classics and this way at least they wouldn't of been putting all there eggs into one basket.

All that money wasn't just spent on making the game though. Just think about all the hardware R&D that was done so that it could be ran on a Saturn, a lot of which was released.
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:24 am
quote : #12
I wouldnt rule out the possibility of a shenmue 3 somewhere down the road as there is another shenmue game being made right now (different story, go look it up if you dont know about it), but it would have been really nice to see Ryo get his revenge on the dreamcast. Shenmue II has to be my favorite game of all time, and I am actually starting to play through it again right now.
MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:47 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:
MasterChief wrote:

if god truly existed... then yes. Wink

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
jesus.arnold
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:24 pm
quote : #14
lordnikon wrote:

lol, that would have ruled.

Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:21 pm
quote : #15
I would have paid 3000 dollars to get the complete Shenmue collection on disc.

Even though they'd probably still be developing it to this day Razz