Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
zeleny
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:18 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I notice there seems to be few fans of racing games here. Was just wondering what controllers you use. I know previously, there's been some discussion on using steering wheels.

How do you guys feel about pads? The official Dreamcast pads work great with the left and right trigger buttons. Anyone ever use some other pads? The official Sony dual shocks aren't bad as well (they're compatible via adapters like the total control plus). But the analog stiks aren't the best way to play racing games. And with simulators (F355 anyone?), I find it extremely diffucult to navigate around the tracks and turns.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:29 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
The only racing controller I have is the classic Dreamcast Steering Wheel,a very good one. I don't have problems playing racing games with the normal Dreamcast pads, even with the analog button

NB-DanTE
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:16 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
i have the officiel Pad only, it's greats with racing games (the most comfortable controler)
Posted:
Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:02 am
quote : #4
I'm probably in the minority here then about racing pads. Coz the analog sticks that have become standard aren't as precise as say, steering wheels. While I can 'get by' them, they just don't feel right.

There's definitely a lack of innovation for making pads designed mainly for racing games. Fortunately, one company (Thrustmaster) has recently designed an alternative to analog sticks. You can find these in their Run N Drive pads that are equipped with the optical wheel. These work so much better since it replicates the feel of the steering wheel! Too bad the optical wheels aren't compatible with all Dreamcast games though. Sad

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:56 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
i have a sega rally 2 wheel. i dont care for it. its much easyer to use a joy pad. the rally2 has the peddles on the wheel like rally race cars shifters and its hard to steer and push the peddle on hard turns. if it had foot peddle id like it more
Posted:
Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:45 pm
quote : #6
Sega Rally wheel?, Ive never heard of that before.

Anyway I use my standard dreamcast controller but I think one of these days I will go on to ebay and get a racing wheel...I just wonder if I will be able to fit it into my room. Smile

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:46 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
sonicteam10 wrote:
Sega Rally wheel?, Ive never heard of that before.. Smile

my bad its called the "rally 2" by pelican acccessories
Posted:
Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:28 pm