Topic: Dreamcast VCD player

Page 1 of 1
hell-online
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:14 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I read on a few websites that the Dreamcast can play VCDs without the need for a attachment (like the Saturn). Is this true?

Also does it ruin the Dreamcast laser reader eventually, I heard that about people who play CD-Rs on their dreamcasts, as well as VCDs.

Darksecond
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:16 am
quote : #2
nope, for running VCD's you only need the player program (google etc). no need for extra hardware, about the laser and everything, i don't know.
Posted:
Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:37 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Try using this one Wink

http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,66,452

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:55 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
hell-online wrote:
I read on a few websites that the Dreamcast can play VCDs without the need for a attachment (like the Saturn). Is this true?

Also does it ruin the Dreamcast laser reader eventually, I heard that about people who play CD-Rs on their dreamcasts, as well as VCDs.

No, It's just a big rumor that CD's wear out the dreamcast. People do other stupid things like blocking air holes and leaving it on for a long time and they blame it on CD's.
Posted:
Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:46 pm
quote : #5
nick944 wrote:
hell-online wrote:

No, It's just a big rumor that CD's wear out the dreamcast. People do other stupid things like blocking air holes and leaving it on for a long time and they blame it on CD's.

No. It is not a rumour. The laser has a much harder time reading your typical CD-R, especially one burned at high speeds. It has to work harder to read the data off of the disc. This is a known problem with playing backups on consoles and has been known to kill off Dreamcasts as well as other consoles with ease.

Playing backup CD-R's will eventually damage and break a Dreamcast.

Play GD-ROM's only and your Dreamcast will last a very long time.
Posted:
Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:29 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
nick944 wrote:
hell-online wrote:

No. It is not a rumour. The laser has a much harder time reading your typical CD-R, especially one burned at high speeds. It has to work harder to read the data off of the disc. This is a known problem with playing backups on consoles and has been known to kill off Dreamcasts as well as other consoles with ease.

Thanks for making that clear lordnikon, I have been sceptical for my Hello Kitty Dreamcast awhile now, debating whether I should play that awesome homebrew game Beats of Rage (right name?) since that is on a CD-R. I guess I'll just buy a seperate US or PAL dreamcast for my "unoffical games"
But...
Awhile back I do recall seeing a blank GD-rom on ebay, awhile back, first off was it a fake and if not could I use them to play stuff on my dreamcast or would I need special software to do that (yes or no, please no details) . (Note* I do not pirate console games, but do enjoy some homebrew ones)

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:40 pm
quote : #7
You would need to know what you are doing to burn a GD-ROM, and you would have to have the hardware / software to do it. Which usually means a gd writer.

As for VCD's I wouldn't run these on the Dreamcast. It is sort of a novelty. You could boot it up just to see how it works, but it isn't something I would do on a regular basis when you could just watch them on your PC.
Posted:
Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:32 am
quote : #8
Homebrew games are safe in most cases, because there's very little loading.
VCDs on the other hand will constantly read from disc. NOT GOOD!
Posted:
Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:24 am
quote : #9
I can't find a link to it, but wasn't there a project a year or two ago for a homebrew media player that streamed media over the broadband adapter?

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:07 am
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
nick944 wrote:
hell-online wrote:

I have played full dreamcast games from CD and they usually make less noise than a GD-ROM, and I know people who have used CD's since 2000 on there Dreamcast and had absolutely no problems at all.
Posted:
Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:54 am
quote : #11
nick944 wrote:
I have played full dreamcast games from CD and they usually make less noise than a GD-ROM, and I know people who have used CD's since 2000 on there Dreamcast and had absolutely no problems at all.

It is a fact that the data on a GD-ROM is packed into a smaller region of the disc than a CD-R. The laser has to move much more to read all of the data.

Backups burned to CD-R media shorten the functional lifespan of the Dreamcast console.
Posted:
Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:17 pm
quote : #12
The laser is meant to move back and forth fast, like in other game systems. I contacted sega a couple months ago to make sure. They don't recommend playing them because they aren't certified be sega, but they told me that it should cause absolutely no problems at all.