Topic: DC CD/GD rom question

Page 1 of 1
cApNhOwDy
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:13 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I was having troubles with my first Dreamcast a long time ago. It could read music CDs, but not GD-roms (Dreamcast games). It would keep going back to the main screen as if the lid was open. When I opened it up I noticed a small speck of dirt lodged in the switch (the one connected to the top panel of the Dreamcast, that tells whether the lid is or isnt open). I removed it, and it worked perfectly again. My question for the DC tech-savvy people is how is it that the DC would consider the lid closed when I played music CDs but that it would consider the lid open when I tried to play DC games? Just curious.
Posted:
Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:12 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
That is pretty wierd. How big was the piece of dirt? I am assuming large enough to keep the lid from closing all the way. The only thing I could think of, is that the dirt may have created more pressure on the lid, thus pressing down onto the console and motherboard more. Maybe it impacted it in just the right way so that when reading a GD-ROM it would breakdown and reset. That is the best theory I could think of.
Posted:
Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:19 pm
quote : #3
I dont believe it - point. My bunker is a dirty hell and I never had such a problem - anyway it needs some real pressure 2 hold that little plastic pin down.... I played over 1 year with an opened dc (without topcase) and the button needed a firelight (the things 2 get a smoke on) 2 stay down.
Posted:
Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:05 am
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
That is pretty wierd. How big was the piece of dirt? I am assuming large enough to keep the lid from closing all the way. The only thing I could think of, is that the dirt may have created more pressure on the lid, thus pressing down onto the console and motherboard more. Maybe it impacted it in just the right way so that when reading a GD-ROM it would breakdown and reset. That is the best theory I could think of.

A mere speck, just barely enough to get lodged in the leverage. It could still physically close, I had no clue what my problem could have been before I opened it up and scanned over the insides a few times. I removed it and it read GDroms again perfectly.
Posted:
Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:55 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
cApNhOwDy wrote:
I was having troubles with my first Dreamcast a long time ago. It could read music CDs, but not GD-roms (Dreamcast games). It would keep going back to the main screen as if the lid was open. When I opened it up I noticed a small speck of dirt lodged in the switch (the one connected to the top panel of the Dreamcast, that tells whether the lid is or isnt open). I removed it, and it worked perfectly again. My question for the DC tech-savvy people is how is it that the DC would consider the lid closed when I played music CDs but that it would consider the lid open when I tried to play DC games? Just curious.

i had some issues with my first one as well. i got it in 2000 some time. on about the 2nt day i had it. it got a dogs hair in it. it quit playing games so opened it up and seen the hair. after i removed the hair it was fine. this made me wonder about the system so i took it back to the store shortly after

i now own 3 dreamcast and the only real issues i have are one of my spinners that holds the game disks broke. and one isa lil funny about playing games that have scratchs. the 3rd works perfectly
Posted:
Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:22 pm
quote : #6
I have had 3 dreamcasts as well with few problems. My first one broke because my brother sucks at catching lol, so I had to buy another one, a few months after that I bought a backup one too. My second one I have owned for maybe a year and a half and just had its first problem 2 nights ago, reseting problems though easily fixed by cleaning the pins.

Im not sure where, but I have heard about dreamcasts only playing gd-roms or only cd-roms. It may have been in a guide on how to tune your censor so that it reads cd-rws where you may cause your censor to not recognize dreamcast games and only cds.