Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:19 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Never got outtrigger back in the day, I remeber it was a game high up on the 'to get wish list' but I never got round to getting it. I notice some guys here say its a bit easy, do people recommend I get a copy now, and will it provide some prolonged playability?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:35 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hrmmm well, I guess it all depends on what you would consider prolonged replayability. Most of the people that appreciate this game, do so because of the high framerate, arcade gameplay, and the fact that it is made by Sega AM2. The single player missions go by pretty quick, and then all that is left is deathmatch with not very smart bots. Playing with a mouse and keyboard you will decimate the bots. Playing with controller makes it a bit more fair, and the score stays close.

In certain maps the bots will actually run to their doom. Blast Furnace and The Building are no place for bots, as their pathing leads them to fall to their death. You could win the round by not even playing in these maps.

If you are using a controller the bots do pose a challenge though. Its just the mouse and keyboard that give you an insane advantage over them.

There really isn't a game out there like this, so I would recommend checking it out.

If you have a friend to play splitscreen, then this will give you plenty of hours of competative play.
Posted:
Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:48 pm
quote : #3
Thanks for the speedy reply Nikon! I've also checked it out on IGN, they still got a review of it online. I saw it for 10 quid today in a game shop, so I think I will pick it up 2morrow.

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:24 pm
quote : #4
Splitscreen is where Outtrigger really shines. As Nikon says, Building and Blast Furnace levels are pointless with bots due to their stupidity. They keep killing themselves. Which is a shame since Blast Furnace is a real cool level.

I suppose if you want to up the difficulty you could try to play with the A-C configs? Rolling Eyes
Posted:
Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:45 pm
quote : #5
when you say splitscreen, you do you mean 2P or 4P splitscreen?
-Schthack: Asar Zo'am lvl 001
JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:51 pm
quote : #6
RadioSpade wrote:

Yes, that's obvious. You will not play splitscreen if you are alone Rolling Eyes

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:54 pm
quote : #7
JKKDARK wrote:
RadioSpade wrote:

Yes, that's obvious. You will not play splitscreen if you are alone Rolling Eyes

@JKKDARK:I think he's wanting to know how many players the game supports. Using that sort of tone doesn't help anyone.

@radiospade: Yes, the game supports 4 players. Smile
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 pm
quote : #8
lol thanks, JKKDARK, I was trying to find out if it is still worth buying nowadays. Now that I know I do want to own it, just gotta track down a (relatively cheap) game copy. Wish me luck!

-RS

edit: Got a copy for 5 bucks! the games AMAZING!!! so much fun. good luck to all those out there!
-Schthack: Asar Zo'am lvl 001
maxkill42
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:42 pm
quote : #9
it worth it if you have 4 controllers and 3 others to play with its really fun

Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:31 am
quote : #10
I thought Outtriger was just ok. I mean, the graphics were clean, it has it's own style, but the maps were way to small. I mean, you could almost always have someone in your sights just turning left and right. I'll give AM2 it's due with trying something new out, but I think that's why a 2 never came...

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:38 am
quote : #11
The maps being small was the whole point. This isn't Battlefield we are talking about here, it is Outtrigger, an arcade style FPS. Speed, close quarters, fast paced action are the orders of the day when it comes to OT.
Posted:
Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:37 pm
quote : #12
I'll pass on Outrigger. I like a little strategy with my FPS. Not saying it's a bad game, but I don't like to have my opponents right on top of me. Twitch gaming is ok, but I prefer it for arcade games. I would take Quake over this, with Unreal beating both of them. Just my humble opinion.

shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 pm
quote : #13
i gotta say that i totally loved outtrigger. its an awsome pick up and play game for two or more people. the small maps works for this b/c there is no needing to take hours learning the maps you just jump in and start shooting. don't get me wrong i love games where you can use strategy and teamwork to win but there is something special about a game that my four year old can pick up and start getting frags.
Posted:
Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:53 am
quote : #14
Im a huge OT online fan - the balance betwen gaming and chilling were superb. Anyway its offline and thats why I would say pass it. Get it only if you can grab it for cheap 2 show your friends how a 60 frames per second running game on the dreamcast looks - or spent some money and get the mouse/game bundle for your collection. I know the game has multiplayer function - but heck - playing a ''fps'' with the enemy watching the same screen - is a bit sensless. So I tried 2 share the vga signal via a vga splitter and used 2x screens. Its working - its only pitty that the 3-person view wont work in the multiplayer mod.

(I ll never forgot how 6x humans tried 2 look behind a wall in the CASTLE stage. 5x dudes are crying - what can you see - what can you see - the dude on the top: NOTHING Mr. Green )

(Boah - checked that link http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1426&sid=15d9c2338db69731b9256185f08f93ff --- where are the last 5 years???)
Posted:
Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:45 pm
quote : #15
A beautiful and fast-paced first-person-shooter that assigns you a rocket launcher as your primary weapon and let's you play in maps that share the same square-footage of a very small house, not to mention the ability to unlock all the crazy enemies as playable characters in multiplayer modes not to mention all of their crazy cool weaponry...

What's not to love?

Plus, the entire game is a training simulation to become a top-ranked offensive anti-terrorism field agent. Seriously, come on. If it gets any more awesome, I just might have to give up my title as "Most Awesome Person or Thing Ever."

Maybe.