Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:41 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
You can download it here. (Note, unless you can get your Saturn to play CD-Rs, then this won't work for you.).

Although it's a tech demo with very limited functionality, it's still pretty cool to see, and worth checking out.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:46 am
quote : #2
Awesome! Good thing I recently acquired a modded Saturn! Just in time Smile However lanz will be using my modded Saturn for a while.
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:54 am
quote : #3
Here's a video of it from ASSEMbler for anyone wanting to check it out while it's downloading: link.

Some things to note:

• The score never stops increasing (I went as far as 100000 and gave up.).
  • Only one of diamond shape hovering accelerators works.
  • The timer resets itself when it reaches zero so the game never ends.
  • Pressing all the buttons down + start will send you to the game over screen.
  • Even though it's similar to NiGHTs in some regards, it doesn't work with the analog portion of the NiGHTs controller.
  • Near the working hovering accelerator, there's an unusual texture in the water. Any ideas?

List any other cool things you notice. I think the music itself is enough to merit the download and blank CD-R. Very Happy

Starwalker
rank 14
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:14 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
Nice Smile . Though I can't try it myself since I don't own any modded console. But it's good to see it in video. The music is a track from Sega CD the JP and EU version. Well actually it might be from all versions because if I'm not mistaken it's a "past" music and since all "past" tracks were made from the mega drive/mega-cd sound chip and not from the CD it's included in all versions. US only changed the CD tracks.
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:14 am
quote : #5
Wait is this demo sonic extreme? or the "NiGHTs" rendition of sonic extreme? I believe there were 2 different builds. That video of Sonic NiGHTs was a recently released video. The Sonic Extreme beta has been around for much longer.
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:33 am
quote : #6
Yes, it's the "NiGHTs" release. Smile

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:25 pm
quote : #7
Type: PAL
So this is the version of the game before Yuji Naka had a piss fit forced them not to use the NiGHTs engine; or is it the latter 3d version of the game that nearly killed the programmer?...
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:34 pm
quote : #8
Dreamcast ™ wrote:

• Near the working hovering accelerator, there's an unusual texture in the water. Any ideas?

The texture you see in the water is from the Metal Sonic boss stage. It was used for technical purposes (Off the top of my head, I believe it was used to somehow sync both of the VDP processors together).

Yeah, if you have read up on the sordid and bitter history of the Sonic X-Treme project, this was the demo Chris Coffin presented to Sega after the suits came in and requested that the entire game be made using Coffin's boss engine. The other version of Sonic X-Treme you might of seen, the PC version, was the main gameplay engine that Chris Senn and Ofer Alon continued working on after they exiled themselves from the core team at STI.