Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
Treamcaster
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:57 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello there again pals!
I'vve returned from my holidays, and know I plan to get with my DC online!

Instead of making the line voltage simulator could ya tell me what could I do?

-Buy a 56kb modem for my PC? Which model, post some references please.
-Buy a 56kb modem for my DC? Cause mine is 33kb..

See ya!

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:01 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
You should try to acquire a DYNEX External 56K USB modem. It worked perfectly for me. This will probably cost you between £5-10 (I am assuming you are British. Correct me if I am mistaken).

Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:52 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Treamcaster is from Portugal so it will be 7.5 - 15 euros

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:00 am:

Thanks for the brand name though, think I will pick one up, cheers!

Treamcaster
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:24 am
quote : #4
TheMytho: Thanks for the info, do ya know an online shop where I can buy it?

Dalore: That's right Razz

EDIT:
Does it really have to be from DYNEX?
Can I buy another External 56K USB modem, from my electronics shop on my city?

EDIT2:
Mine is an internal softv90 data fax voice modem. Could it work without the l.v.simu?

Thanks in advance!

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:24 pm
quote : #5
Treamcaster: Sorry about that mix-up.

It doesn't have to be a Dynex modem, but that was the brand that worked for me. If you find something comparable to the Dynex at a shop near you, don't hesitate to pick it up. Keep in mind that it needs to be a VOICE compatiable modem though. If you do want the Dynex though, check eBay.

You can try with the internal modem, but don't expect to do much more other than browse the Internet. With my internal modem, I was unable to connect to any game, with or without the swap trick.

Dalore: You should be set with a Dynex modem. Here are the specs and a picture of the modem box . I was able to locate a few on eBay UK as well.

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:00 pm
quote : #6
Quote:
-Buy a 56kb modem for my DC? Cause mine is 33kb..

If you're gonna use the DC with a PC-DC connection it doesn't matter! A 56k modem can only upload at 33k, so you would never receive more than that anyway.
Posted:
Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:11 am
quote : #7
I really appreciated your answers! Thanks a lot! I think that now I am one step closer to connect my DC/ TC online! Mr. Green
Just need to get that modem!

And, just to confirm, if I get that 56kb external modem for PC, it mean I have no need to build the voltage line sumu, right»?
( I still can't believe that I am too close! Embarassed Razz , it's a dreaming coming true)

I'll give news as soon as I have them! Cool

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:17 am
quote : #8
I have an external USB 56k PC modem, that I have tested with a PC-DC connection. I do not need a line voltage simulator. Though I still have to use the swap trick with the telephone cord. So your chances are good that if you get a USB modem, you will not need a line voltage simulator. Treamcaster, you are planning to use a Win98 setup right?
Posted:
Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:01 am
quote : #9
Type: PAL
Does the external usb modem need to have its own power supply, or could it be one that draws power from the pc?

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:13 am
quote : #10
Dalore wrote:
Does the external usb modem need to have its own power supply, or could it be one that draws power from the pc?

The USB cable powers the modem in addition to transferring data. So you do not need a separate AC adapter to power the modem.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:44 am
quote : #11
Just a question to throw out to you all.

I have a working PC-DC server, using either and internal or external mode, both work fine...however...I am unable to make any sort of connection without having the real phone line connected at the same time...DC, PC and phoneline all together.

I have built a the line inducer, but this also does not work, I can get the PC to hear the dialing from the DC when using it without the phone line, but thats all it does, never allows a connection...I know the line induver is working because I cannot hear the dialing into the PC modem without it but can when using it?

Anyway, thats my little bit...just wondering if anybody has any ideas on this? It's no major issue as I can still get it to work, but it does mean I am still tying up the phone line, which limits the times I can use it Sad

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Treamcaster
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:55 am
quote : #12
lordnikon wrote:
Treamcaster, you are planning to use a Win98 setup right?

Yeah. Still don't have it installed yet, but when I formatted my hard drisks in the other day, I left a small space in one partition for a win98 installation.

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:26 pm:

Everyone!
I am having big problems here!
I have installed win98 a few times, and some hardware devices such as the graphic card, internal modem and maybe some other, are not recognized!
Atm I am on XP.

On my DC, I tried to setup with the Planetweb 2.6
, but when I click to connect to the network, it just keeps connecting and nothing more appears. No error message or anything.. really strange!

What can I do? I think I got to setup on winXP... Sad

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 pm
quote : #13
segadreamcaster wrote:
I have a working PC-DC server, using either and internal or external mode, both work fine...however...I am unable to make any sort of connection without having the real phone line connected at the same time...DC, PC and phoneline all together.

I may be mistaken but that doesn't sound like you have an actual PC-DC server. When I was messing with the PC-DC server I tried connecting them all together like that. It was actually kind of screwy because if I remember right the DC dialed and everything connected but it was because it dialed out on the phone line and bypassed the PC. You said that the PC hears the dialing when you have the line inducer and not the actual phone line? If this is the case there's probably something wrong in the settings on your PC.

If in your browser settings you have bogus information entered then I am mistaken about it not being a real connection.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
matthewj
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:42 pm
quote : #14
so if i get a Dynex USB modem all i do is attach my dreamcast to it and attach the dynex usb modem to the computer click dial and boom im online
Posted:
Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:45 pm
quote : #15
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
segadreamcaster wrote:

I may be mistaken but that doesn't sound like you have an actual PC-DC server. When I was messing with the PC-DC server I tried connecting them all together like that. It was actually kind of screwy because if I remember right the DC dialed and everything connected but it was because it dialed out on the phone line and bypassed the PC. You said that the PC hears the dialing when you have the line inducer and not the actual phone line? If this is the case there's probably something wrong in the settings on your PC.

If in your browser settings you have bogus information entered then I am mistaken about it not being a real connection.

Wow, sorry for the late reply...lol

Yeah it is indeed a working connection as I am dialing a series of zeros for the number I am dialing..the connection establishes fine with the PC and all works fin, but if I try to remove that phone line (the actual landline) everything gets dropped.

I have tried it with 2 or 3 external modems and with the line enducer but it always fails...I can't even get a connection with the line enducer...despite my efforts and as mentioned above it seems to be working because I am able to hear all the line activity which I am not able to do without it or the actula landline

This one has remained a mystery for me for quite a while now so if anyone can shed some light I would be grateful Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com