Topic: Loud Dreamcast

Page 1 of 1
limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:18 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I looked online for a FAQ for oiling my Dreamcast or something. My dreamcast has been making a lot of noise for a while, I can tell it's when the lens is moving back and forth. it doesn't bother me playing, but will it make the console wear out eventually, and what should I do about it?
Posted:
Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:41 pm
quote : #2
I would also like to know, the loud sound of it moving back and forth is so loud it wakes people up in my house. Especially when I play games that have lots of loading like shenmue.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:29 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
No, that weird grinding sound that is like "sheeenshzhh shewweeesshhh", is perfectly normal. Certain games will make the DC sound like that, and later DC models especially sound like that most of the time. It isn't an indication of your console dieing. Just the gears making a funny noise. I have ran brand new game consoles right out of the box and they may this noise.
Posted:
Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:29 am
quote : #4
I've tried lubricating my dreamcast before. While it worked for a few weeks, the loading in PSOv2 made it go back to it's noisy ways.

I've heard that silicon lubricant is the thing to use.

Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:56 am
quote : #5
Type: PAL
My old 'whitey' DC was load, screetchin all the time whilst loading. I got it brand new but thought something was up with it at first, DC's are just a loader than normal console during loading.

My new Black DC is a lot quieter.

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:57 pm:

My old 'whitey' DC was loud , screetchin all the time whilst loading. I got it brand new but thought something was up with it at first, DC's are just a loader than normal console during loading.

My new Black DC is a lot quieter.

mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:10 pm
quote : #6
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
I've tried lubricating my dreamcast before. While it worked for a few weeks, the loading in PSOv2 made it go back to it's noisy ways.

My black dreamcast when I load my PSOv2 character takes around 20 seconds and is terribly loud the entire time, my white one takes a lot less time is no where near as loud. My good character is on my black dreamcast Sad

The character loading in PSOv2 is my biggest complaint, what I have done to quiet it down is throw a bunch of blankets on it when I am desperate but I dont want to do that very much since the thing will overheat bad.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:21 pm
quote : #7
mrandyk wrote:
The character loading in PSOv2 is my biggest complaint, what I have done to quiet it down is throw a bunch of blankets on it when I am desperate but I dont want to do that very much since the thing will overheat bad.

WOW. Do not do that! That will kill your Dreamcast really quick. You might as well coat the thing in lighter fluid and set it ablaze.
Posted:
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:02 pm
quote : #8
Yes I said only when I am desperate though, and I try to only do it when I am at the character select screen because that is when it gets really loud really long.
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:02 pm
quote : #9
Type: PAL
I think the only solution to this problem, would be a small sound proof fridge. Mr. Green
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:14 pm
quote : #10
I have a white '99 and it's not that loud, but until I went to my friends house and played his dreamcast, I didn't know how loud it got. Shocked
Posted:
Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 pm
quote : #11
nick944 wrote:
I have a white '99 and it's not that loud, but until I went to my friends house and played his dreamcast, I didn't know how loud it got. Shocked

My quiet one is also a white '99, mine is a September made one. I gotta say though my first dreamcast I had that broke was much much louder than either of the ones I have now though and it was a December '99 model. If anyone cares the other dreamcast I have now was made in August '00 and is a Sega Sports one.
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:48 pm
quote : #12
mrandyk, if you are handy and don't mind taking apart your Dreamcasts, you could just swap the GD-ROM drive in the white Dreamcast with the black Dreamcast. I can personally vouch that if you are careful, there will be no harmful side effects. The whole process takes around 10 minutes. I would say that it is about as demanding as installing a new PCI card in a computer.

I own a Sept. 2000 model and a July 1999 model, and believe it or not, the GD-ROM drive on the '99 model was louder. It also eventually had issues running back-up games (which is something I limit now). However, the '99 drive still runs commercial games fine. It was time for a swap though, as I have put easily over 700 hours of game time onto the drive.

Last edited by TheMytho on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:53 pm
quote : #13
The thought of switching gd-rom units has never crossed my mind. I have been inside of my dreamcasts several times, I think I might just try that. Thanks for the idea Mytho.

Posted Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:01 am:

Well the operation is complete and it works great, I decided I would change the cases too while I was in there. So now I can put my black dreamcast into storage under my bed until I need it for parts, hopefully I wont need to get it out though.