1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:43 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
OMG someone plase check this prototype, the owner says it actually works. There are also various pictures in the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250163670619

Shocked

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:05 pm
quote : #2
JKKDARK wrote:
OMG someone plase check this prototype, the owner says it actually works.

Yeah, but works with what? Even if it's in working condition, games would have to be coded to support it.
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:08 pm
quote : #3
Holy f*****ck.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:01 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
It is pretty crazy to see this mythological storage device come out of nowhere on eBay. For years people have said "if only I had the dreamcast zip drive..." Turns out, as the seller says, the item doesn't work with any commercial games.

I couldn't justify bidding on an item like that, even if it was selling for 50 bucks. It would have to actually work with Dreamcast games for me to own it.
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:46 am
quote : #5
a nice collector though, but $10.000... my wife would cut my sack off Laughing Laughing

doctorclu
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:34 am
quote : #6
Amazing. I bet you could get DC Linux to run with it eventually.

And I like how it uses the side port. That Modem/BBA/whatever port is really interesting to me and I would love to find out a bit more about that.

As for the zip drive... amazing. Snagged those pictures, which is perhaps one of many reasons I like Ebay.. the pictures.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:52 am
quote : #7
good idea, saved the pics as well Rolling Eyes
2bed I can't spare $10.000 Mr. Green Mr. Green

doctorclu
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:00 am
quote : #8
$10,000.. you know I would spend that IF it was established to work with something. Then I would take it apart and see if there was common parts (ie. the zip drive units, probably designed from the '99 era, which are common now), check out the connector, see if there was some way to use the parts of the somewhat common DC modems and find a way to modify that to talk to Zip drive using the $10,000 example.

Then sell kits on the internet.

Storage media is definately what the DC needs. Heck, more ram would be nice too. But unfortunately sounds like this is not even established to work in the least.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 am
quote : #9
Type: Pal
10k for an ornament hmmm and only 6 feedback hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:18 am
quote : #10
doctorclu wrote:
$10,000.. you know I would spend that IF it was established to work with something. Then I would take it apart and see if there was common parts (ie. the zip drive units, probably designed from the '99 era, which are common now), check out the connector, see if there was some way to use the parts of the somewhat common DC modems and find a way to modify that to talk to Zip drive using the $10,000 example.

No offense, but I can't help but get irritated by comments like this. Do you currently work in the electronics field and or have significant experience soldering / building / dismanteling complex electronic equipment? This is not me trying to be a jerk or anything, but simply being a realist. Over the years I have seen many people pass through this community and the number of "tall tales" people have invented span the gamut of Dreamcast technology.

The scenario you are describing is extremly complicated. For starters the Dreamcast ZIP Drive is most likely different than that of an existing PC zip drive. Secondly, you would need to have an expert knowledge of electronics, as well as programming. This would also require the aid of a Dreamcast Development Kit to even begin to test the capabilities of the real prototype. I don't know how you would hook that thing up to a DC Dev kit in the first place.

Finally, one example I always use to bring people back into reality is presenting them with a much simpler task than the one they are inventing. Do you have the ability to actually FIX a broken PC Iomega Zip Drive? This is much simpler than fabricating a custom zipdrive to work with a foreign(Dreamcast) hardware environment. If merely fixing a PC ZIP drive is outside of your range of expertise, then your original idea is just a baseless hypothetical scenario.

doctorclu wrote:
Storage media is definately what the DC needs.

I tend to disagree. Sure it would be convenient to have a single storage space for all game data, but as it stands the Dreamcast is capable of storing a mammoth amount of data, assuming you have the storage items to do this. For the Dreamcast there is a 4x VMU, which allows you to swap between four 200 block slots on a single VMU via a button. Now, if you had 4 controllers plugged in, with a 4x VMU in each slot, that would total:

4 controllers ( 2 slots x 4x vmu) = 32

32 x 200 = 6400 Blocks

This is a mindboggling amount of storage space, and enough that I would consider it to be overkill. A single controller outfitted with two 4x VMU's is more than enough, giving you about 1600 blocks of storage space.

Blast wrote:
10k for an ornament hmmm and only 6 feedback hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Laters

Very good observation. I didn't notice that originally. 6 feedback is WAY to little to be asking for 10 large. Personally I feel the items asking price is way way way too high. Even if this thing worked with games I don't think it is worth 10 thousand dollars. Since it doesn't work with any games, the item is barely worth $3,500.00 if that.
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:33 pm
quote : #11
you know, it isnt even free shipping Neutral
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
doctorclu
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:42 pm
quote : #12
"No offense, but I can't help but get irritated by comments like this."

Do I know you? If you have one of seemingly many rules and restrictions of these forums you'd like to remind me of, that's fine. Otherwise, keep your annoyance to yourself and chill.

I as a hobbyist was simply dreaming and scheming. Am I going to spend $10K on it? No. Would I like to tinker with it? Yes.

As for what experiences I have or who I know, none-yah. So sit back and just enjoy the conversations from here on out. We'll talk, we'll B.S., and sometimes "B.S" will even stand for "Brain Storming", and sometimes not. And sometimes we might get an idea or two.

But keep your annoyance to yourself, and I will make it a point to forget your last comment and enjoy from this point on. Later.

nintendo_DS
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:52 pm
quote : #13
wow, welllll, you might be pulling the topic off the rails...

anyways... yeah...

the tinkering does sound cool to me, and i am sure you would hook the perif up to the dev unit with like an extension cable, who knows tho, maybe sega made a whole new dev unit for this kind of project..
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
doctorclu
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:01 pm
quote : #14
Hmmmm... anyone know a good place to find information on the expansion port?

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:27 pm
quote : #15
That certainly is a nice little piece of history. but 10 grand? i dont see DC items fetching that for at least another 5 years. perhaps the auction is just done for attention al la buyatari.

and i have empathy for the man that pays that to someone with 6 feedback.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux