Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
1, 2  Next
RickBB
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:06 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Has anyone here in OC ever had the oportunity to play one of the DC's japanese fighting games
such as Street Fighter 2x or Marvel vs Capcom 2 online?

I've always wondered things about these games like...
How was the connection like?
How were the servers' interface?
Was it possible to have decent fights?

Of course it would be hard for anyone who lived in japan at the time they were up
and had this experience to show up here and talk about it, but hey, that's still a possibility.
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:11 pm
quote : #2
Well fighting games would work better online in Japan I would think since its a much smaller country. In the United States or Europe you have possibly thousands of miles between the people making the game much slower. And with fighting games you have to have the absolute highest speed you can get while online.
RickBB
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:00 pm
quote : #3
mrandyk wrote:
Well fighting games would work better online in Japan I would think since its a much smaller country. In the United States or Europe you have possibly thousands of miles between the people making the game much slower. And with fighting games you have to have the absolute highest speed you can get while online.

That's right, but even with the short distance I still don't think you can have decent
matches on such fast games, specially on 56k. Unless they all had BBA's of course
but that's not the case.
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 pm
quote : #4
Yea the 56k modem part makes it impossible for these fighting games to be online anywhere but Japan, and they still had their issues Im sure.
JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:14 am
quote : #5
Type: PAL
mrandyk wrote:
Yea the 56k modem part makes it impossible for these fighting games to be online anywhere but Japan, and they still had their issues Im sure.

But these games were only up to 2 players

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:12 am
quote : #6
I think it worked like this, the players would call the main server, the server would then directly connect the playing dreamcasts to eachother. The modem signal would directly pass between players without being demodulated and modulated again by the server. Please correct me if I got this wrong.
Posted:
Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:35 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
I missed out on trying Dreamcast fighting games online. However, I did not miss out on trying Playstation 2 import fighting games online over broadband. I am signed up with KDDI in Japan for the PS2, which is the same company that ran the online service for Capcom and their Fighting games on Dreamcast. In-fact at one point games like Capcom vs SNK 2 were cross platform compatible between the DC and the PS2, with players from each console meeting up to do battle against each other online.

So, for the SNK games right now they are brutally laggy. This is over broadband. I tried playing against a Japanese player and a US player (who helped me get online in the first place). The US player lagged far more than playing against a Japanese player.

This would mean the data may re-route through a central server rather than the central server just acting as a Master List to matchup players.

Based on my experiences, playing these fighting games online on the Dreamcast, from the US, over dialup, seems like an impossible scenario that would have yielded incredibly high latency.
Posted:
Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:43 pm
quote : #8
There'd be very little point to play these games online back in those days because you can't really practice your game like you could playing with someone at home or in the arcades. The lag would have made the input so bad that it'd be impossible to get even the most basic of combos to input properly. It might have worked better if they had watied until the BBA was available and just release updated versions of those games with high-speed online fighters, but as Nikon mentioned about the SNK PS2 games it may not have been that practical anyway.
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:00 pm
quote : #9
very subject...scary! Shocked So, there wouldn't be any way for us to try it over here huh? I have just about every 2-D fighting game that came on the DC. If it had Capcom on it, it was bought! :p Messed up my characters on my JP ver. of MvC 2, and trying to figure out, how to get them back. Embarassed

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 pm
quote : #10
shoutout33 wrote:
Messed up my characters on my JP ver. of MvC 2, and trying to figure out, how to get them back. Embarassed

Too bad. Try downloading some save from the net with all the characters (Obviously it's not the same, but it's the only choise)

RickBB
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:32 pm
quote : #11
shoutout33 wrote:
very subject...scary! Shocked So, there wouldn't be any way for us to try it over here huh? I have just about every 2-D fighting game that came on the DC. If it had Capcom on it, it was bought! :p Messed up my characters on my JP ver. of MvC 2, and trying to figure out, how to get them back. Embarassed

Is it true that ,now that there are no more online matches, there is NO WAY of getting all the characters on the japanese version of MVC2?

I wanna know because my copy of it should be arriving soon (gotta love the JAP versions!).
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:35 pm
quote : #12
RickBB wrote:
shoutout33 wrote:

Is it true that ,now that there are no more online matches, there is NO WAY of getting all the characters on the japanese version of MVC2?

I wanna know because my copy of it should be arriving soon (gotta love the JAP versions!).

Exactly. You can't get all the characters on the japanese version (except if you download a save from internet, but I don't know where) because you have to get some of the points playing online.

RickBB
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:26 pm
quote : #13
This might be old, but there are japanese save files that suposely have all 56 chars on gamefaqs.com:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/save/914427.html

They are hacked tough.
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:04 am
quote : #14
i got that file from gamefaq it works to say the least, Gave me all the characters. Nic,e save. i can't get all of the characters. So only way was this =)

on a side note the mvc 1 for the japan wasn't online. I am surprise by that. Every other fighting game that capcom realased was online =P go figure

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:10 am
quote : #15
Metal Hedgehog wrote:
i got that file from gamefaq it works to say the least, Gave me all the characters. Nic,e save. i can't get all of the characters. So only way was this =)

on a side note the mvc 1 for the japan wasn't online. I am surprise by that. Every other fighting game that capcom realased was online =P go figure

Maybe because it was released in 1999