Topic: dc virgin

Page 1 of 2
shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
my roommate just played crazy taxi on my dc for the first time tonight. it was funny to see him get hooked on it b/c he'd never even knew what my dc was. when he first saw it he thought it was a gamecube.
Laughing
Posted:
Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
a perfect example and an awesome story! a fun game is fun, no matter what system, how old or how new. crazy taxi is enjoyably frantic.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:25 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
shrap wrote:
when he first saw it he thought it was a gamecube.
Laughing

Yeah because it's the same size and color Laughing

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 pm
quote : #4
Hehe I think he meant when he saw the game running he thought it was gamecube, not the Dreamcast system itself Wink
Posted:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:25 am
quote : #5
yeah so many ppl dont understand how great the DC is. i had a few friends by about a year and a half ago and they seemed surprized at how good of graphics DC has. i was playing red dog on a vga moniter. also they was interested in the VMU. they had never seen one before Mr. Green
Posted:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:59 am
quote : #6
most folks who claim dc is shit, never even saw one, let alone played it

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:23 pm
quote : #7
I love how people assume the dc is shit since it didn't last.

Then you whip out some 4player Tennis 2K2 and the assumptions quickly change Very Happy

It's just kind of disappointing that the majority of the kids today were too young when the Dreamcast was popular to remember it.

I was young even Sad

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:47 pm
quote : #8
Ok reality check for where this thread has ended up:

What the ORIGINAL poster is talking about is something worth discussing. A persons random encounter with the Dreamcast, and what they thought of it, is primetime discussion material.

However the discussion of "OMG these people don't like the Dreamcast. They just don't understand how special my hobby is. They are so stupid. They are so ignorant. They just don't get it." Blah blah blah. Who cares? This type of stuff belongs in the mind of a 14 year old hurting for social acceptance and a hug.

It is 2007. The days of "playing the defensive" trying to justifying your console interests to Joe Sixpack are over. You shouldn't have to justify the system to anyone. Are people really sad because some random dude doesn't "get it". Is this worth our conversation time? Personally I feel this line of discussion should be avoided at all costs.

Its 4:40PM right now, on October 24th 2007. Should I be stressing out because some person, who isn't really into video games as a serious hobby is not interested in the Dreamcast? Who cares if people out there "just don't get it". Seriously. People need to stop wasting their time trying to convince anyone about the Dreamcast. It is a game console with certain games and certain traits. You are into it. Great. Other people are not. Who cares if they are not into the system, and who cares if they never ever ever recognize your hobby as something worthwhile.

I have always said, if you can't handle being the only one interested in the Dreamcast on the Planet, then you don't deserve the Dreamcast and it doesn't deserve you.

P.S. - shrap play some ooga booga with this person splitscreen. you will have fun guaranteed!
Posted:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:11 pm
quote : #9
My friend Zach came over to a birthday gaming party we were having years ago, we had like six TVs with various consoles, a computer, and a ton of handhelds, and twelve people all in one tiny room. This was somewhere around five years ago, I think.

He fires up the DC on the largest TV, and I hear the loud shrill of eight (!) VMUs initializing at once. It grabs my attention and I turn to see Quake III in all of it's glory. I am absolutely spellbound. After watching everyone play a match, I'm rotated in, and after a few minutes of getting used to the single stick control scheme I was hooked. After that it was Crazy Taxi, Virtual On, Sega GT, Sonic Adventure, and on and on through the night.

Two days later I had a brand new DC from the local TRU. $49.99 on clearance.

Crazy Taxi is an awesome game. It's a perfect example of the "Blue Sky in Games" philosophy that Sega pioneered and then perfected. It's the first game I use to "demo" the Dreamcast when someone is curious, because it's simple to play, fast moving, and it's just fun as hell. I usually follow that with Sonic Adventure, and then Quake III.

Back when I worked in game retail, a man came in once and told me he had just gotten ahold of a Dreamcast thing and wanted to know which games were family-appropriate for his young kids to play. I sold him a copy of Crazy Taxi for something ridiculously cheap (I think it was priced at like $2.99), and he came back the next day and told me his kids went crazy and loved it, and he couldn't get his wife to stop playing.

shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:20 pm
quote : #10
now thats an awsome story. btw lord is ooga booga split for more tan two on my days off when i get home to my wife and kids we all like to play games together and it would be cool if this was a four player game.
Posted:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:27 pm
quote : #11
Einhander wrote:
Crazy Taxi is an awesome game. It's a perfect example of the "Blue Sky in Games" philosophy that Sega pioneered and then perfected. It's the first game I use to "demo" the Dreamcast when someone is curious, because it's simple to play, fast moving, and it's just fun as hell. I usually follow that with Sonic Adventure, and then Quake III.

Crazy Taxi was also the first game I played on the Dreamcast, and the first game I bought as well (also $2.99). That game was the reason I bought a Dreamcast, and whenever I have someone play it they get tempted to put out $25 so they can own their own Dreamcast+Crazy Taxi.
zeleny
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:59 am
quote : #12
mrandyk wrote:
Crazy Taxi was also the first game I played on the Dreamcast, and the first game I bought as well (also $2.99). That game was the reason I bought a Dreamcast, and whenever I have someone play it they get tempted to put out $25 so they can own their own Dreamcast+Crazy Taxi.

I got my Dreamcast in 2000, mainly because I wanted to play Marvel vs Capcom 2. I bought it with two games: MvC2 and Soul Calibur. I already knew what to expect from MvC2 so I decided to put SC on. Everything about it made me go wow. Nothing was like it at the time. I mean it was the FIRST home console game with that level of graphics. No other game has captured that feel ever since.

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:10 am
quote : #13
I think people just look over the Dreamcast, and don't realize the great games. This happens with many great systems, like the Neo Geo Pocket.
Posted:
Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:26 am
quote : #14
mrandyk wrote:
Einhander wrote:

what game do you think I let my m8 play first last week?? Mr. Green
he was blown away

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:54 am
quote : #15
zeleny wrote:

I got my Dreamcast in 2000, mainly because I wanted to play Marvel vs Capcom 2. I bought it with two games: MvC2 and Soul Calibur. I already knew what to expect from MvC2 so I decided to put SC on. Everything about it made me go wow. Nothing was like it at the time. I mean it was the FIRST home console game with that level of graphics. No other game has captured that feel ever since.

i felt the same way at the time DC was the best in graphics and detail. i got my first one in 01 i think. it was a bundle the DC with NBA 2k and NFL 2k. i picked up test drive 6 and then a few days later south park rally. when i first played the football and basket ball i was shocked at how awsome the animation was. my sister and her boy friend came by and he seen me playing test drive 6 and was suprized to see all the land marks in the london map. he was in the navy and had been there. i have'nt so it all looked like buildings to me. what realy grabbed him was a mcdonalds or a burger king he had been to. he claimed it was in the correct location and that he had eaten there. after seeing this his words were "i think ill have to get one of these". now days no one is impressed with test drive 6 lmao Laughing

Last edited by gary_b on Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total