Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:01 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: Pal
Seems there were not many budding Master system enginners around, maybe someone has knowledge of the Mega drive/genesis (BTW I have the master system working better than it was at least)

I have 2x Mega drive, one pal and one NTSC-J. Both present me with a blank black screen on loading. I am connecting both via RF cable. The NTSC-J console has a very dodgy looking RF mod inside it, In fact when I opened it the RF calbe inside was not even connected to the mod anymore, obviously i connected and tried again. The Pal system has been tried on 2 tv's and presented a black screen on both. Dumb question, do I have to have a cart in? I have tried the Pal system with a cart in with no change in result but mostly have just been trying to tune the systems in switched on and empty. I have googled for results and read various stuff. Some suggest its a tuning issue some a cleaning/cart issue so before I start doing anything has anyone here had any experience of Mega drive black screens on switching on and how to fix it?

Ohh are mega drives cross region compatible with carts? I bought the NTSC one at a car boot but I havwe all pal cart?

Laters
Posted:
Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:19 am
quote : #2
Blast wrote:
Ohh are mega drives cross region compatible with carts?Laters

Most of the american or japanese carts should run on your pal system - few games only run on 60 hz. The biggest problem is the size - pal moduls are a bit smaller - so if you wanna play genissis or japanese mega drive games you need 2 mod the modulport door (you can do it simple by pressing a japanese modul with pressure into the modulslot ---- but that isnt the ebst way Razz)
Posted:
Sun May 04, 2008 4:47 pm
quote : #3
Blast wrote:
Seems there were not many budding Master system enginners around, maybe someone has knowledge of the Mega drive/genesis (BTW I have the master system working better than it was at least)

I have 2x Mega drive, one pal and one NTSC-J. Both present me with a blank black screen on loading. I am connecting both via RF cable. The NTSC-J console has a very dodgy looking RF mod inside it, In fact when I opened it the RF calbe inside was not even connected to the mod anymore, obviously i connected and tried again. The Pal system has been tried on 2 tv's and presented a black screen on both. Dumb question, do I have to have a cart in? I have tried the Pal system with a cart in with no change in result but mostly have just been trying to tune the systems in switched on and empty. I have googled for results and read various stuff. Some suggest its a tuning issue some a cleaning/cart issue so before I start doing anything has anyone here had any experience of Mega drive black screens on switching on and how to fix it?

Ohh are mega drives cross region compatible with carts? I bought the NTSC one at a car boot but I havwe all pal cart?

Laters

Just for information purposes I gave away these consoles to Segadreamcaster to tinker with and they both worked without any problems Confused I am stumped now no idea as I tried both on 2 x TV and had the same problem with both on both tv's Question Tuned Dreamcast via RF and Master system RF into those TV's without a problem.

Laters
Posted:
Tue May 06, 2008 9:44 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
[quote="Blast"]
Blast wrote:

Just for information purposes I gave away these consoles to Segadreamcaster to tinker with and they both worked without any problems Confused I am stumped now no idea as I tried both on 2 x TV and had the same problem with both on both tv's Question Tuned Dreamcast via RF and Master system RF into those TV's without a problem.

Laters

Yeah very strange...all work fine for me Smile

I will say though that the Megadrive does need a cart inserted to produce something other than a plain black screen

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:05 pm
quote : #5
Well for once I have actually solved this problem. At a car boot I bought another 2 Mega drives a 1 and a 2. Yes i know giving away two mega drives then buying two more is slightly insane but hey. Anyway upon testing the Mega drive 2 on my spare TV I got yes you guessed it a black screen. So that was the third mega drive to do that on this TV. Now a bit pissed off I decided it was time again to move my main TV in the front room and find the RF connector for it. Did this input Mega drive 2 select tune and .... black screen. This TV 3rd mega drive three times black screens. So now I start to fiddle with the options and after around 10 mins mucking about finally
a breakthrough. By pressing down for quite some time on fine tuning I actually get Sonic 2 on the screen Yippie Ki Ay Mother Fucker Sadly after playing through a few stages I switched off the mega drive 2 forgetting to save the channel information and have never found it again since Evil or Very Mad

So 3 mega drives 3 tv's 3 sets of black screens and the answer is fine tuning? Must say I am baffled here as none of the tv's used are exactly new some more like mega drive age. One of them does not have a fine tune option at all its one of those turn the knob til you find it old ones. When I was a kid it was simple. You connected the RF sat down selected a channel pressed auto tune or started turning the knob and hey presto you got Master system/mega drive blah blah. What the hell changed Confused

Laters