Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:58 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: Pal
I have just bought and been trying to boot Tee off Pal on my NTSC Dreamcast. I have tried both Action replay and Codebreaker but each time the game boots up and the screen is offset Sad There is about a 2 inch gap at the top of the screen with a funny white line in it and some of the picture is out of the bottom of the screen. Anyone had anything like this before? Somewhere I have Utopia I could try if I can find it. Cant seeing it being an issue with the TV, never has been before. I have tried all the TV screen setting i.e. wide, super live, cinema, 4.3, auto but the problem stays which ever mode its in. I am using S video btw as my TV connection type

Laters
Posted:
Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:36 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
That sounds very weird. Have you tried using Utopia boot disc? I have used it to boot PAL games on my NTSC Dreamcast with no problems.
Posted:
Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:47 pm
quote : #3
Blast wrote:
Mazonemayu wrote:
I'm assuming the disk isn't faulty, coz I can access the artwork when I pop it in my pc

What is the connection type form your DC to TV? In the past a few pieces of software including Unreal tournament and the photo editing section of Visual park for the Dreameye wont boot when being used with a scart cable. If you are using scart then try booting it using composite or the RF cable.

Laters

The above coppied from me Smile from another thread. Perhaps this will work with Tee off? Gota give it a go Very Happy

Laters
Posted:
Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:59 pm
quote : #4
I use a dc-x and it boots my pal games just fine... then again all ive ever booted are pso and pso ver 2

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:32 pm
quote : #5
crimson_death96 wrote:
I use a dc-x and it boots my pal games just fine... then again all ive ever booted are pso and pso ver 2

Yeh I expect thats the case for 90% of people who are booting a Pal game on an NTSC machine. Pal exclusives are few and far between when compared to NTSC and NTSC-J games that you cant get in the UK. So there will be plenty of people booting NTSC and NTSC-j games on Pal machines but no where near as many the other way round.

Tonight I was testing some other stuff and at the end I had the perfect chance to try Pal Tee off on and NTSC machine this time over scart rather than the S video connection. The end result was the same the screen is still stupidly off set so it looks like pal Tee off is unplayable on an NTSC machine.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:22 pm
quote : #6
Type: PAL
If it is a PAL exclusive it probably wasn't programmed for NTSC output, and therefor not supported.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:20 am
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
Dalore wrote:
If it is a PAL exclusive it probably wasn't programmed for NTSC output, and therefor not supported.
tee off isnt a pal exlusive though. i own it and mines NTSC/U
Posted:
Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:56 pm
quote : #8
gary_b wrote:
Dalore wrote:
tee off isnt a pal exlusive though. i own it and mines NTSC/U

Yeh thats right I just have a NTSC machine, I dont play a lot of DC offline mostly online and what I play is mostly NTSC i.e Max pool, Q3 and 4x4. One day I will have to experiment and see how many of my Pal games do boot properly on this NTSC DC.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:04 pm
quote : #9
Blast wrote:
I have just bought and been trying to boot Tee off Pal on my NTSC Dreamcast.

It will be displayed in NTSC resolution on your PAL TV --- since you are using an NTSC Dreamcast but a PAL TV.

Try booting NTSC games on your PAL Dreamcast and you'll see that they will be displayed at PAL-60 on your PAL TV.
Posted:
Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:55 pm
quote : #10
Christuserloeser wrote:
Try booting NTSC games on your PAL Dreamcast and you'll see that they will be displayed at PAL-60 on your PAL TV.

I can't get NTSC games to boot properly on my PAL Dreamcast. It's the exact opposite of Blast's question, but I get very similar results:

Blast wrote:
I have tried both Action replay and Codebreaker but each time the game boots up and the screen is offset There is about a 2 inch gap at the top of the screen with a funny white line in it and some of the picture is out of the bottom of the screen.

In my case, I've tried Codebreaker (with the option "console will boot in NTSC mode" turned on) and Utopia (no options to chose from) to boot original Japanese NTSC games on a PAL Dreamcast. With both of them I get an offset screen and approximately 20 or 25% of the picture out of the screen. To make it worse, it clearly runs at 50 Hz. I have no problems when playing PAL games at 60 Hz, or playing selfboot or non-selfboot NTSC backups (they boot in 60 Hz mode correctly). It only happens with Japanese original GD's. What do you guys use to make these games work properly?

Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:59 pm
quote : #11
Segata Sanshiro wrote:
I can't get NTSC games to boot properly on my PAL Dreamcast. It's the exact opposite of Blast's question, but I get very similar results:

In my case, I've tried Codebreaker (with the option "console will boot in NTSC mode" turned on)

That's what makes your case similar to that of Blast's I think. - NTSC Dreamcast on a PAL TV does look like what you guys described; but of course it should run in 60Hz - not 50Hz.

Segata Sanshiro wrote:
With both of them I get an offset screen and approximately 20 or 25% of the picture out of the screen.

That's quite a lot and about the same as with Beats of Rage.

- I just tested it with Ikaruga and Karous and it looks okay on my TV. It's 576i-PAL displaying a 480i-NTSC picture, so there definitely is some loss in the non-visibly offscreen areas.

Segata Sanshiro wrote:
I have no problems when playing PAL games at 60 Hz, or playing selfboot or non-selfboot NTSC backups (they boot in 60 Hz mode correctly). It only happens with Japanese original GD's. What do you guys use to make these games work properly?

I do have the following setup:

1x Japanese DC (modified) via VGA: Plays my US and Japanese games perfectly
1x US DC (modified) via VGA: Plays my US and Japanese games perfectly
1x PAL DC via RGB-SCART: Using Backups in 99,99% of all cases (I only got a very few PAL games anyway, and I am way too lazy to use my DC-X boot disc)

Since Super StreetFighter 2 X doesn't output RGB, I bought the DC-X boot disc (before I began using VGA).

If a game doesn't support the cable connected to your Dreamcast, it does let you choose which video out you would like to enforce (Composite, S-Video, RGB, VGA) and of course it boots everything in 60Hz.

- To verify that the DC-X works in PAL-60, I booted the Japanese Ikaruga GD on my PAL DC (via RGB-SCART) and the Ikaruga backup on my Japanese DC (via VGA). I started both games at exacty the same time and the music and scroll position stayed in sync until I ran out of lives on the PAL DC.

-SOLUTIONS-
Here are some things that might help:

1. Get your Dreamcast modified for a PAL/NTSC video swtich and accepts all region GDs
2. Modify your Dreamcast yourself using DC-SWAT's Region Changer: http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89863 - It will allow you to set your Dreamcast to e.g. Japanese but to enforce PAL-60 video output at the same time.
3. Get a DC-X boot disc: http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/product_infophp/products_id/8568/
4. Use a VGA box/cable for 480p60 on all your games (even PAL-50 ones like Sega Rally 2)
5. A combination of the above
Posted:
Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:42 am
quote : #12
Thanks a lot for your suggestions, christuserloeser. First thing I'll do is try with DC-X and see if it works. I didn't know about that Dreamcast mod you mentioned, I might get another Dreamcast to try it with.