1, 2  Next
NibelheimPromise
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:51 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I don't know if any of you remember, but I had posted a topic a long, long time ago about creating a translation of one of the finer, japan-only based Dreamcast titles, Hundred Swords. I had big ambitions at the time of the conception of the idea but I think I bit off more than I could chew.

So with that said, now that I'm a bit older and I have a tiny bit of time on my hands, I figured this would be the ideal period in my life to tackle something of this magnitude. SO, I went ahead and created my first ever Hundred Swords-exclusive fan site. The site (for the most part) is 100% complete, with the exception of the Translation and some various media sections. However, the translation that I have done thus far is up for download (or you can just read it right there on the site). As I mentioned on the website itself, I will be taking on this project from a casual standpoint, therefore, I won't be revolving my life around getting this translation completed in a timely fashion. Right now, I tentatively plan on releasing a translation of one chapter a week, however, that's not even set in stone, it's all subject to change. But I figure, releasing the translation is parts would be a bit more efficient that way some of you can play up until the point in which I have translated, rather than waiting until the entire project is done which could be any time at this point.

Nevertheless, I just wanted to get the information out there so any of you who are interested in playing through the game can now. With that said, here's the link to the site if any of you are interested.

http://www.freewebs.com/hundredswords/index.htm
Posted:
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:15 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Hey that's great Very Happy There are so many games we're missing in the west, it's always good when someone makes the effort to translate them. Glad to see you know what you're doing, some people start projects without realizing their own limitations, resulting in abandoned projects.

The website looks really well done and good luck with the translation project.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:09 am
quote : #3
Are you translating the Japanese? or using the North American PC version as a reference?
Posted:
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:37 am
quote : #4
I own both copies of the game and am going back and forth between the two, using both of them as a reference. I know Japanese [somewhat] well and have numerous references in regards to the language seeing as I took it for three years in college (which doesn't mean I'm fluent in it; I still have much to learn, but I'm applying what I do know to help and again I'm using my old textbooks to help me through it because I'm not at the level in which I could do this without any fall-back materials).

So basically what I'm doing is playing both the DC and PC version at the same time and going back and forth between each individual text box and comparing the two; I first do my own interpretation of the JPN version and then read the PC-English version and match them up accordingly. It's a long process and I'm sure there's a more efficient way of doing it but in all honesty I don't mind it, it's not too terribly painstaking and I'm finding out that the PC variation is almost a direct port in terms of story as what I've interpreted and consequently, read thus far, have been spot on in relation my attempted translations. So right now I haven't had to stray much from the PC versions script. The only times that I haven't been able to offer up my own interpretation of the DC version and in turn, compare it to the PC's, is during the cut-scenes that don't allow me to manually go through the text boxes. Because this happens by itself and you are only given a brief moment to read the text before it disappears, I've had to rely almost solely on the PC port since I'm not even remotely fast enough to translate the Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji on my t.v. into something coherent.

So that was my attempt, in a rather long winded fashion, to answer your question Nikon (and anyone else who may have been curious); I'm doing a little bit of both, right now it's been more of the PC iteration with the JPN version as a reference rather than the other way around, but to be frank, I haven't really needed to do the opposite yet.
Posted:
Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:14 pm
quote : #5
keep it up. ive always wanted to play this on DC. when do i get it, i can use this.

bomb78
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:44 pm
quote : #6
Nice idea you have there.
I downloaded recently the US PC version to check if it is possible to do a kind of repack by comparing the file sof the PC and the dreamcast version and simply replace them
I had this idea after having downloaded a shenmue 2 cd 1 pal version with english languages instead of japanese, this was just done by replacing the audio files of the dreamcast version by the xbox ones, but it may be more difficult for hundred swords..

RickBB
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:34 am
quote : #7
Did hundred swords have a offline mode like PSO?
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:18 pm
quote : #8
RickBB wrote:

Hundred swords wasn't online.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:41 pm
quote : #9
RickBB wrote:

Yes Smile

lozz wrote:
RickBB wrote:

Hundred swords wasn't online.

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_gameslist_jp.php Wink
Posted:
Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:45 pm
quote : #10
Actually it was, for both DC and PC. It supported up to 4 players. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to get in on the action, but from what I hear it was pretty neat.
Posted:
Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:40 am
quote : #11
This is the first time I see a fan site for this game. Keep the good job Smile

axlrose2k5
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:25 pm
quote : #12
This is pretty cool. I have been wanting to get this game for a while now.

Deeps
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:57 am
quote : #13
hey i went to the site to check it out but i was having trouble getting the second download to work "HUNDRED SWORDS Script Download" i got the celtx program downloaded and installed but the other link either is broken or i'm dumb Razz. any help?

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:25 am
quote : #14
I've only just noticed this. Great idea, and best of luck with the project.

might I suggest a donate link
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:26 pm
quote : #15
Well... It sure has been a while since I updated this thread and consequently, the Hundred Swords fan site/translation site I've been working on. If any of you are unaware, I've been putting together a translation of the Japanese, exclusive Dreamcast game, Hundred Swords, using the North American, PC version as a form of guidance and reference. I started the project at the end of last year, but haven't had much time to work on it due to extraneous factors (getting ready to graduate, working, girlfriend, etc.). However, I've finally reached a point in which I have some down time, so I figured I might as well keep at the translation.

If anyone is still interested, I've just recently posted the new, updated form of the game's script on the aforementioned website (URL in sig.). So, yeah, check it out if you've been anxiously awaiting your chance to finally play HS on your DC. ^^