Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:49 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I bought my copy of Quake 3 sealed in April, and it came with two manuals, one in the case, one outside the case but still in shrinkwrap. I didn't really look at the second manual until now, its completely in french. Is this the canadian version of Quake 3?
Posted:
Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:38 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
I would assume so, if it's giving you an English and a French manual (that is right, isn't it?)

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:47 pm
quote : #3
Yeah, I'm just suprised they localized the game seeing as most Canadians speak english Rolling Eyes
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:18 pm
quote : #4
they have to localize it in french as well b/c of our bilingual laws. in case you can't tell i'm from canada eh.
what really sucks is when you buy a used game from e.b. or blockbuster and they say there is a manual inside
but it turns out to be the french one. that has happened to me on more than one occasion.
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:12 am
quote : #5
shrap wrote:
they have to localize it in french as well b/c of our bilingual laws. in case you can't tell i'm from canada eh.
what really sucks is when you buy a used game from e.b. or blockbuster and they say there is a manual inside
but it turns out to be the french one. that has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Yeah, because Canada has so many French-speakers and English-speakers, it's a requirement to cater to both. I mean, say if you were Canadian-French and all the Games were in English. You would be annoyed.

Kannibal
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:23 am
quote : #6
whao! I never knew that Canadians have 2 main languages. so does the Q3 let you choose the language you look at the game in?
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:15 am
quote : #7
Kannibal wrote:
whao! I never knew that Canadians have 2 main languages. so does the Q3 let you choose the language you look at the game in?

When setting up your Dreamcast, I believe it asks your language, and that translates to the games.
Or does it ask your Country? if so, not so sure what it does. Nick?

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:16 pm
quote : #8
No, the game is completely in english, and I don't think there is an option to switch it to French.
Posted:
Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 am
quote : #9
LOL ours came with free winter clothes and bacon... But really ... there is no difference.

Kannibal
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:42 am
quote : #10
isafos wrote:
Kannibal wrote:

When setting up your Dreamcast, I believe it asks your language, and that translates to the games.
Or does it ask your Country? if so, not so sure what it does. Nick?

I meant that if it allows you to look at the in-game in another language besides English....
Posted:
Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:44 pm
quote : #11
isafos wrote:
shrap wrote:
they have to localize it in French as well b/c of our bilingual laws. in case you can't tell i'm from canada eh.
but it turns out to be the French one. that has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Yeah, because Canada has so many French-speakers and English-speakers, it's a requirement to cater to both. I mean, say if you were Canadian-French and all the Games were in English. You would be annoyed.

pffft there are more Asian and Africans and Portuguese Indian etc and all other different speaking languages on Canada then french. It's stupid that we have this on all our stuff. Plus Quebec wants to separate and be their own country so why should we have bilingual everything for them..

anyway ya it sux
Posted:
Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:59 pm
quote : #12
YO-Q wrote:
It's stupid that we have this on all our stuff.

This is part of canadian history.... look back and you ll understand why. Anyway I agree its sux if you cant speak french - but havent they teached you both languages in school?