Topic: the VMU is beeping?

Page 1 of 1
Deeps
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:47 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey everyone, been on this site for about an hour just reading posts and whatnot. As the topic says I'm new to the DC scene. I just got mine on Christmas from my gf. Just posting to say 'Hi' and i had a few questions about the VMU:

1) I read about a loud beeping sound coming from the DC/VMU, and i guess it is cuz the battery is dying? My VMU makes the loud screeching sound whenever the DC is turned on, and when the VMU is removed from the controller and put back in. Should i get a new battery for it? Also, what battery does it take? (on the back it says "CR2032" is that it?)

2) How do you use the VMU standalone, or is that even possible? IE. in Skies the Pinta Quest

Thanks for reading!!

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:11 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
First of all, welcome to OC Smile

1. Yeah, it pretty much means that the batteries on your vmus are dead. But unless you wanna play some of the vmu minigames, you don' t need to replace them.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:25 pm
quote : #3
0) Welcome & happy newyear m8

1) Has nothing to do with batteries, the VMU makes that noise when the DC finds one connected to it. I believe some games allow you to shut the bleep off. CR2032 is the type of battery you'll need if you want to use your VMU standalone

2) See to it that it has batteries, download a minigame to it from a DC game

Deeps
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:06 pm
quote : #4
thanks gRimGrAvY014 & Mazonemayu for the info about the vmu

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:32 pm
quote : #5
Every once in a while my friends and I will fire up some four-player Quake III. There is no sound like the terrible symphony of eight VMUs all beeping at once.

Another feature of the VMU is file transfer between units, so if you have a cool gamesave on your VMU that you want to give to a friend, you can just hook two VMUs together and (assuming they both have batteries) turn them on and copy the save without having to have a Dreamcast nearby. I used this a lot back when I was in high school, I would trade custom THPS2 parks and ghost laps for racing games and whatever else with friends during lunch.

isafos
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:00 pm
quote : #6
Type: PAL
Welcome to the Dreamcast scene. Wink

Yeah, I get this a lot also, it essentially means that if I ever have sleep deprivation, I can't go anywhere NEAR it if I don't want to wake up the rest of the house.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:38 am
quote : #7
You could smother it with a pillow to lessen the volume of the beep so you don't wake anyone. Wink
Posted:
Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:53 am
quote : #8
i cannot believe no one posted this yet... so i think i will quote whoever posted it quite a long time ago

take the vmu apart, it'll open basically like a book once you have it unscrewed, now, you see the wire going to the speaker... SNIP THAT BITCH!

you can keep the wire coiled a little in there if you ever think you'll put it back, I left it just in case
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:20 am
quote : #9
Oh man, why would you do that?

Having that beep every time I fire up my system that shrill beep is like a nice reassurance that my controller port block hasn't blown. Wink