Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
virtuoso
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:53 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I noticed with my dreamcast that whenever there is a very bright section of the screen running there seems to be static interference, with lines running accross the screen accompanied by static noise. At first I thought it may be due to my TV but I recently acquired another TV (in perfect condition which is not an LCD and is quite a few years old) yet the same issue occurs.

This is happening on all games and whenever there are very bright white sections of screen. Apart from that it runs perfectly, on both 50hz and 60hz. I am using a pal lead on a UK Dreamcast, but have tried plugging a scart lead in to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:01 am
quote : #2
They call it spirit or soul - but I have no clue. Are U using the normal av cable or an rgb lead?
Posted:
Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:04 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Is it like static fuzz and dot crawls? or a warping of the image?
Posted:
Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:16 pm
quote : #4
The first thing I would do is turn the contrast down on your TV. Most TVs come with the contrast set way too high and few people adjust it down to a proper level. With a high contrast, any bright white scenes will cause the TV to draw a lot of current which could cause problems in the rest of the TV. Just a thought.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
virtuoso
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:38 am
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
Is it like static fuzz and dot crawls? or a warping of the image?

It's a static fuzz with warp lines running through the middle of the screen, but this only occurs, as I've said before, when a section of the screen is very bright. Examples when this would happen would be during Ecco when Ecco leaps out of the water in to the sunlight, or even on the title screen of Virtua Tennis.

I'm using the official PAL lead and have the TV aerial plugged in to it.

@SEGA RPG FAN: I'll certainly try out your suggestion, but I don't have high hopes as this does not happen with other systems using the same TV.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:13 am
quote : #6
Do you have another Dreamcast console that you can test? The video output on your current console might be suspect.

Also, I'm guessing by the term 'TV aerial' you mean an antenna? If so, try unplugging that and see if your picture improves. You may also have to pick it up and move it away from your television. Another console I own picks up interference if I have a coaxial cable near my TV.