lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:17 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7OKfXjw23E

Above is a video showing before and after footage of Quake 3 running on an overclocked dreamcast. When overclocked Quake 3 shoots weapons at super speed. If played online, this would be considered cheating.

The above video makes a good case for not overclocking your Dreamcast. It will cause games such as Quake 3 to run at faster than normal game speeds. Notice it just isn't the bullets, but EVERYTHING that is sped up. Menus, death animations, and weapon switching all run too fast.

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Posted:
Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:25 am
quote : #2
what theheck is overclock? I think that is what's happening tome becuae I noticed that the game looks fatser than the last time I remmeber playing thegame....I t makes it harder to shoot, aim, and turn(specially on DC Controller).....my guess for overclock is that it has something to do with the Date and Time.
Posted:
Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 am
quote : #3
Wait, did they overclock to 200mhz or 250mhz?

The title says 250, but the actual video says 200.

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:22 am:

Kannibal wrote:
what theheck is overclock? I think that is what's happening tome becuae I noticed that the game looks fatser than the last time I remmeber playing thegame....I t makes it harder to shoot, aim, and turn(specially on DC Controller).....my guess for overclock is that it has something to do with the Date and Time.

Overclocking is making the hardware of the Dreamcast perform better, but putting more stress of the actual hardware itself.

I could go into more detail, but that's the general idea. Also, your Dreamast can't become overclocked by itself.

loki101
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:44 pm
quote : #4
isn't it the timenudge crap? if it is then yes it is cheating...i should know i used to play a dude that used to use it
Posted:
Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:21 am
quote : #5
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
Wait, did they overclock to 200mhz or 250mhz?

The title says 250, but the actual video says 200.

The first half is running at 200mhz, and the second runs at 250mhz. You are skipping through the footage and missing the intermission blue screen where it says "and now in 250mhz".

Its easy to tell which part is which, because the Plasma gun in the second half of the video is firing wayyyyyy faster than it should. Also look at the rocket launcher, its hurdling those babies out pretty damn fast.

loki101 wrote:
isn't it the timenudge crap? if it is then yes it is cheating...i should know i used to play a dude that used to use it

No, Overclocking is a physical modification to the CPU which increases the consoles processing power. However because most games are designed for a specific processor speed, overclocking causes them to run faster than they normally would. It is a hardware modification.
Posted:
Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 pm
quote : #6
I don't know what happened but the game seemed faster or could've just been me. when I was waiting for Radkin I went to th Zappy server and played noticing thatthe gae was faster than other games I've played. I was going to ask about that but I thought that it just could've been me.
Posted:
Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:56 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
I never noticed about this problem, thanks for posting. Overclocking is used mainly for getting better performance with homebrew stuff.

JTxBallAx
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:49 pm
quote : #8
Kannibal wrote:
I don't know what happened but the game seemed faster or could've just been me. when I was waiting for Radkin I went to th Zappy server and played noticing thatthe gae was faster than other games I've played. I was going to ask about that but I thought that it just could've been me.

yea got rice the guy that runs the server sets it so you run alot faster than normal in the game.
Xbox live: JTKallDay
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:34 pm
quote : #9
That would be a server side mod. The game speed can be sped up via a server side mod, however that will effect ALL players so it is perfectly fare Cool
Posted:
Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:53 pm
quote : #10
so then it was a mod....I thought I was dealing with self overclocking here. thnx much guys!
Posted:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:41 pm
quote : #11
could someone please define what they mean by, overclocking? Thank you.
Posted:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:55 pm
quote : #12
By changing the circuitry on the motherboard, you can increase the speed of the DC's processor. It usually results in things being unstable though, and is merely for the sake of saying I did it.
Posted:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 pm
quote : #13
Let's take a look at the word "overclock." If we make two separate words from it, we get "over" and "clock." Over is defined as being above or at a higher degree, so we know that what we're trying to do is get more out of something. OK, so what does "clock" have to do with anything? If you guessed time, you're absolutely right.

It's important to know that a computer processor's speed is measured in a unit called "hertz." A "hertz" is defined as one frequency cycle per one second of time. You can view a waveform that shows a complete cycle here. Note that the waveform goes above and then below the line. This represents a change in polarity. Alternating current, or A.C., (the type of electrical energy you find in a conventional outlet) oscillates around 50 / 60 hertz. This means that the current alternates between a positive to negative polarity 50 / 60 times a second.

The Dreamcast's processor clocks in at 200MHZ, or 200-million frequency cycles per second. That means that in the time it takes you to blink (assuming the average time it takes to blink is 300 milliseconds), the Dreamcast will have made 60-million calculations.

At such high speeds, it's imperative that synchronization is maintained, so something is needed to complete each cycle at a fixed interval. Like electric watches, processors keep consistent times by using a quartz crystal that, when given an electrical charge, creates a piezoelectric reaction known as "oscillation." When something oscillates, it vibrates at a fixed-interval frequency (granted the source voltage is maintained). High frequencies mean faster cycle times because the waves are closer together. Low frequencies are just the opposite. Quartz crystals come in all types of frequencies. The Dreamcast uses a 33MHZ crystal. That may seem like a lot less than the 200MHZ we're all familiar with, but that's because the SH4 main processor has an internal 6x multiplier that multiplies the clock speed it's given. If you did the math, it comes out to 198, but it's really 33 repeating, so it rounds out to about 200.

Now that you have a very basic understanding of how a processor's speed is determined, you should understand that all you need to overclock something (usually) is to replace the cystal with one at a higher frequency to get more cycles in per second. There are quite a few caveats to this, mind you. The biggest goes back to syncronization. That's the reason behind why Axlen's USB coder's cable failed.

Remember, even though the frequency is higher, it's still being performed within the same span of time. That's why Quake 3 runs faster.