Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
1, 2  Next
skooge
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:24 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey everybody! I'll be getting Q3A in the mail soon, so maybe I can frag some of you guys. I'm not new to Q3A. I own it on pc and I've played on a port for Linux. I was so happy when I found it on ebay for $0.99 and $3.85 shipping and no one was bidding on it. I have been wanting get a copy ever since found out that people were still playing it online.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:34 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Excellent! Welcome to the community.

thegoodstink
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:03 am
quote : #3
Hey Grim. It was me playing with you tonite. First time in a while!! That was a blast!! When you asked if this was my thread, ithought you meant my thread I posted at Xbox.com. I posted there about these servers being bask up to see if I could find anymore interest. That was pretty painful trying to comunicate with you on the DC. I gotta find a keyboard somewhere. Cheers man....Hope I find you again soon, and I'll try to get back on tomorrow. What time do you play at usually? And where are you located? I'm in Toronto, Canada. CYA soon........
Posted:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:45 am
quote : #4
Oh that's who that was, well anyways, nice frags.

I'm in Minnesota.

I usually can play anytime of the night after I'm done with school.

Radkin
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:03 am
quote : #5
Were you the one who was also playing with me, Doom, and Dobbs? This about a week ago if my memoria serves me right.
Posted:
Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:08 pm
quote : #6
It arrived in the mail today. It looks so much better then the pc version. What would be a good button lay out for someone that has only played Q3A on a PC?
Posted:
Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:56 pm
quote : #7
Well, I just use the joystick and keep all the controls the same, if you are talking about using a controller that is.
Posted:
Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:15 pm
quote : #8
How do you look up and down.
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:15 am
quote : #9
You should set the analog stick to control looking in all directions, and the 4 buttons (ABXY) to control walk/strafe. Set one trigger to shoot, the other to jump. And set the D-pad to any combination of switch weapon, use item, show score, zoom, taunt, etc. that you want.

This might be a little challenging at first (it took me about 2 weeks, playing about 40 minutes every day, to get used to) but it allows IMO the maximun control.

You also have the ability to play around with similar settings, such as inverting the y-axis, and swithing the triggers, as well as the sensitivities on the analog stick, until it's comfortable for you.
-Schthack: Asar Zo'am lvl 001
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 am
quote : #10
skooge wrote:
What would be a good button lay out for someone that has only played Q3A on a PC?

Spend some $s and play it with kb and mouse - so you can use your old layout.
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:29 am
quote : #11
Yes, if you've got the cash, you might want to invest in a keyboard and mouse.

skooge
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:24 pm
quote : #12
Thanks for all the advice. Smile I will get a keyboard and mouse at some point, just not right now. I just spent a wod of money buy this game, a manual for my car, and a none working GB micro off of eBay.
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:11 pm
quote : #13
The two most popular control schemes are the full analog aim, and the criss-cross scheme (also referred to as goldeneye).

People have already explained the full analog aim where you use the face buttons to move/strafe and the analog stick to aim.

The cross-cross scheme is where, you set the analog stick to move forward and backward, and TURN left and right. Then the face buttons are set to look up and down, and strafe left and right.

I recommend using a full analog aim setup, since with practice it will give you the best range of control and aim. However if you are really struggling with this, using the criss-cross scheme is a worthy alternative if you are really used to dual analog sticks and aiming with your right hand.
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:54 pm
quote : #14
Quote:
using the criss-cross scheme is a worthy alternative if you are really used to dual analog sticks and aiming with your right hand.
I'm just really use to playing with a mouse and keyboard.
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:18 pm
quote : #15
Type: Pal
I never di get used to it all I tried so many ways of my own and even bought bad 3rd party 6 button controllers just to try and have as many buttons as I needed. At one time I even played with the KB on the floor whilst using a controller I would use my toe on space bar to jump on the KB LMAO. Whatever makes ya happy I guess.

Laters