Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
1, 2  Next
SegaFan33
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:04 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I was searching the other day too see if it was still possible to play this game online and discovered this great site. It's nice to see people still share an interest in this stuff. Major kudos Lordnikon on all your efforts. Unfortunately I sold my copy of Q3 a while ago so I will have to pick up another.

In the meantime, I have been reading some of the old threads and have a few questions.

1. Is the console in the game itself a watered down version or is it like the PC version. For example, If I setup a server and connected with my DC, could I use rcon to remotely manage the server?

2. What type of pings are you guys getting and what adapter (Dial up, BB) are you using? I know this will vary but just want to get some idea.

3. When using a kb/m is there any lag at all compared to just using the controller?

4. What is a reasonable price for a BBA?

Hope to get my old DC setup and online soon. Thanks for the help.

DJShrimpy
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:35 pm
quote : #2
1. The console is watered down from the PC console (less commands here). Not sure about rcon.

2. I (oddly) usually lag more with my BBA than my 56k modem, but once again this varies.

3. No difference.

4. Japan models usually go for around $120 or higher. American models are more rare and tend to go near $150 and above. If you are getting it for gameplay rather than collecting, you are better off with a Japan model.

Radkin
unknown
Posted:
Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:27 am
quote : #3
Welcome to online consoles SegaFan33! Mr. Green

I use a BBA, my friend found a great deal for mine somehow. We accidentally came acroos it. I got it under $90! They are usually $100-$150 or more sadly.

It is a watereddown version, however I prefer the DC one. Plus the music sounds a lot cooler on the DC version!

Could you please explain to me what rcon is, so maybe I would beable to help?
Posted:
Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:36 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
I believe rcon is where you control the server from a seperate computer connected to it. That's when you supply a password and you log in so to speak though. This allows you to manage the server, kick cheaters and stuff like that I think.

Radkin
unknown
Posted:
Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:42 pm
quote : #5
Oh ok. Thx. That is pretty cool. I might look into that. Do you know where I could maybe get rcon? Also, how exactly would that work?
Posted:
Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:01 pm
quote : #6
Hey Radkin thanks for the reply!! Smile

Grim basically explained the idea of what Rcon is for. I use to play a lot of Q3 back in the day and used Rcon to manage servers. Rcon is just a Q3 console command to remotely control a server. The way it works is very simple. For example, I would setup a dedicated Q3 server on my PC and set the Rcon password. Once you join my server from your PC, you could issue commands to the server (assuming you have the Rcon password) just as if you were actually sitting in front of the server.

What I would like to know is if can do the same thing from my DC instead of using another PC?

What kind of pings are you guys getting using the BBA?

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:24 pm
quote : #7
Since I don't have a BBA for myself I can't answer the question from experience but I would assume that depending on your connection speed, it would be equal to playing on PC in terms of ping.

The distance from the server and all that plays a major role too, but you already know that.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:18 am
quote : #8
Im located in germany - Im hitting the OC servers with a ping around 250 (bba) and the dcarena ones (which are located in europe) with 100.

You can rcon a server with dc - but you have 2 be inside the room. Contact freaky or fallout - they know alot about that stuff.
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:55 pm
quote : #9
SegaFan33 wrote:
Hey Radkin thanks for the reply!! Smile

Grim basically explained the idea of what Rcon is for. I use to play a lot of Q3 back in the day and used Rcon to manage servers. Rcon is just a Q3 console command to remotely control a server. The way it works is very simple. For example, I would setup a dedicated Q3 server on my PC and set the Rcon password. Once you join my server from your PC, you could issue commands to the server (assuming you have the Rcon password) just as if you were actually sitting in front of the server.

What I would like to know is if can do the same thing from my DC instead of using another PC?

What kind of pings are you guys getting using the BBA?

Oh! Okay1 I see now and thank you a lot Sega Fan33! Mr. Green NP about the reply!) I use BBA and I am located in Canada, my ping usually get's somewhere up to maybe...about 130? I have not been playing as much as I use to, so I can not give you an exact. (I would be interested to play online though again with whoever is up for it.) I would highly recommend you get a BBA whenever you are in the position to get it. Good luck!

Oh! One more thing, where did you get Rcon from? Do you have to have a clean install of Q3 in order for the process to work?
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:33 pm
quote : #10
I believe Rcon is built into the server software.

Radkin
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 pm
quote : #11
server software?
Posted:
Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:56 pm
quote : #12
Yeah, Quake 3 Arena for the PC comes with the option to host a dedicated server stock.

Radkin
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:34 pm
quote : #13
Really? I did not know that. thx for the info. Well, what if someone just downloaded it onto their PC? Could they go on the internet and maybe find the software that goes along with it. I am sure you can and this is a dumb question, but I would still like to know. Besides, you never know with todays world.
Posted:
Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:35 pm
quote : #14
Basically, if you have a PC version of Quake 3 Arena, you can host a server.

Radkin
unknown
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:07 pm
quote : #15
OK, thx! I do not really know much when it comes to games on the PC, I am a major DC user, 96% of the time I use my DC web browser to go online, so I am very dedicated to my Dreamcast! I refuse to let anyone tell me to do other wise and that it is o old and i should start getting immensly involoved with all the other game satires of life. They just do not understand how special the DC is anymore.

(DC 4 EVER! Mr. Green)