mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:30 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: PAL
I'm not really sure what to post.

I would suggest pulling everything down until your money situation is better, but I wouldn't mind donating some monies to keep the Quake servers up.

Considering currencies and stuff, $30 isn't really that much for me. So yeah... I'm willing to help out.
rank 20
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:58 pm
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
The closed system would cause an issue (mainly for PSO) where people would think that they would be able to get in just by throwing some money around, as opposed to actually being a member of the site long enough that other players can assume you're not going to bring in dupes or hacked items or cheat.

I'm wondering if it would be easier just to come up with the extra $30 a month to keep the windows server up and running and integrate some of the Quake III servers into it as opposed to trying to get all of the windows servers (basically, everything except Quake) up and running on Linux. But that leaves a few questions:

- Can one server handle all of the bandwith required for all of our current game servers? I know that since the community is relatively small we probably won't see much simultaneous usage, but that is still a lot of data to be flowing in and out of one machine, especially with the servers that are running 24/7.

- Can multiple Q3 servers be ran from a windows machine as easily as they can be on the Linux box? Right now we have ten servers running on one box. While we could probably get away with cutting that down to five (one DM, one TDM, one CTF, and then a DM and CTF as no mouse) to ease server load, how difficult would it be to get five or more different servers up and running at once?

- Can we even come up with the $75 a month to keep the Linux box up and running, let alone the $105 needed for the Windows box?

So our other option is to try and shoehorn the Windows apps onto the Linux box using emulators such as WINE (and before any Linux nuts bust in I know Wine isn't an emulator but just work with me) so that we could only have to worry about coming up with $75 a month. This leads to some questions as well:

- Once again, can one server handle the load from having so many different games hosted on it at once?

- Can the server software that runs on Windows run on other apps like Wine? And if so, can it be done without sacrificing performance?

Our last option is to ditch both servers altogether until the economic situation improves. That leaves two final questions:

- How long will the servers be ooc?

- Where are we going to play our games in the interim?

As for banner ads, fuck that noise. They clog up the page and bog everything down. Also it's my understanding that you're basically renting the spot on the page to a company, so they'll put an ad there for whatever they like, and the admin has no choice as to it's contents. Sure, the main page has some large borders on the side that would probably fit some vertical banners quite nicely, but OC as it stands looks really nice. I'll speak to you directly Nikon and tell you I think you've done a really good job with the design and the general look of the site, through all three sections. The last thing we need is a bunch of "ads by goooooooogle" shitting up OC and making it look like a twelve year old's Geocities fansite.

That's the thing I like about OC, I know it will never turn into a corporate turdfest with browser-choking ads and "premium subscriptions" for only $9.99 a month.

I like the way that this website is run, and I'm willing to help with money to keep it that way. I am currently unemployed as well, so I couldn't give immediately, but once I'm working again it's not hard at all to come up with five bucks or so every month to help out.

And if the servers have to go down for a while, so be it. I can start running a vanilla Q3 server on fridays to help out and people can just serve Battlefront on a game by game basis for a while. The only concerns with that that have are Maximum Pool (does it rely on the mathmaking list or can you directly input an IP like Q3?) and PSO (you'd have to limit yourself to home servers to avoid getting hacked items if the OC World Server isn't up and running).

I think that my vote (based on current information) would probably be to ditch the Linux server, and then get a few Q3 servers up and running on the Windows machine. It's $30 more a month, but at least that way we're guaranteed that everything will work natively. I think it will be a lot eaier to just set up some Q3 servers on the Windows machine as opposed to try and get all of the windows software running on Linux, and having to test and troubleshoot everything. All of this is assuming we can raise the scratch to keep it up and running. If we can't, then we should probably just go without for a little while until you're working again. We can make due for a while and you wouldn't have to worry about whether donations would cover the bill.

We've talked a little bit about it before, but I still think that a donation system ought to be in place even when you are working. People are using the website, and people are using the servers, and there is no reason why they shouldn't help out a bit if they want to.

Out of curiousity, what kind of timeframe are we looking at? How much longer have both servers been paid for?

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:31 pm
quote : #18
Type: Pal
Having taken a look at the list I can say in all honesty I dont use any of those servers with the exception of the Maximum pool server on the odd occasion when there is a problem and I cant see Segadreamcasters server. In that case I would say loose the Maximum pool server if that makes things any easier? I doubt its had much traffic besides Segadreamcaster and I? Also I dont think this server serves a purpose simply as there are not enough Dreamcast users playing the game to make a dedicated 24/7 Dreamcast server worth the while.

As for dontations you can count me in its not a bad situation for me as the £-$ rate is favorable at my end so I could quite easily manage the $6 a month and for me just call it a site subscription for all the work that has been done by yourself. I would probably pay more in one go though simply cus my memory is shite and I would forget otherwise.

Been and done the redundant thing many times over Sad Best of luck, as they say one door closes another door opens.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:21 pm
quote : #19
First of all thanks for all the work you put into getting those servers up and footing the bill as long as you did.
2nd of all no matter how many people claim to put money up, be willing to turn them off if those who agree to pay don't make good on what they say; i'm not referring to those who who want to put in what they can, but you should'nt have to put up a reminder to make good on their promise when the bill is due.

I know lately i've been kind of absent in DC online; still I'm willing to pay to help keep the servers up.

Quake i've actually been on the linux servers and saw the switch from the previous one.
Maximum Pool, I've connected twice with this game but it was not the OC server.
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:37 pm
quote : #20
With me getting older, the possibilities of finally getting a job is increasing.

If I were to get a job, I would definitely throw some money your way, to keep things going.

Radkin
unknown
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:53 pm
quote : #21
I would try to donate some loon if I can, but I doubt that since I am only a youngster in highschool.

I think it would be a good idea to reduce the Q3 servers to half of what is already running, five servers should do everyone good enough.
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:44 pm
quote : #22
radkin, nikon already said that it is 10 q3a servers, or 0 q3a servers, no middle ground Rolling Eyes

and i would be willing to donate 40 bucks a year, 10 bucks every 3 months, thats perfectly fine for me, even tho i dont even use, well... any of the servers, its merely how happy i am that you do this for everyone nikon
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
Radkin
unknown
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:49 pm
quote : #23
I understand that, I know what he said, I read every single post on here.

I think that is a little extreme to completly have 10 or none. If you did do some middle grounding, it would cut the cost. That is all I am trying to apply, I am just trying to offer a helping hand. Besides, the DC is really all I have right now, I am behind with a lot of other systems and games. i think it is nice thta he would rather have more q3 servers up there or none, I understand his thinking on that, I just think if it came down to it eventually, then he could cut some off....
Posted:
Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:34 pm
quote : #24
whao! L. Nikon... you have earned the greatest o my respects. Having an Admin reminding you alot about stuff shows alot of dedication to the Community. In my experience here I have seen the difference from other forums where you get Admins that don't even use proper grammar and usually get other people that wanna be mods to pay them and just mod people around without reason... Many Admins are mostly people that use sub domains unlike Lord Nikon. He made this site for people to disscuss DC, GC, and PS2 both offline and ONLINE(most importanly). I admit that I haven't been doing a good job of following the rules not because i chose to but because I never saw the difference from all other forums that I have subscribed to. after reading this thread, I opened my eyes and saw the difference. I will aslo admit that I didn't use the servers(including the ones form other consoles from OC) because I had walked away from what many people want to keep alive. If these servers are still up I will contribute a donation. thnx
Posted:
Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:08 am
quote : #25
I have read everyone's threads here so far in great detail. Once again I want to thank everyone for their support.

First I want to re-explain something that a lot of people here seem to not understand:
  • There is one (1) Linux Server Machine.

• This single, individual piece of hardware, runs 10 Quake III Arena game servers (each of these are software).

• I pay a flat rate fee of 75.00 per month for the Linux machine. I can run whatever I want on it. It does not matter if I am running 1 Q3 server, or 50 Q3 servers. The monthly cost is still exactly the same.

----

Now to give everyone an update on all of this: The reason I made this thread so quickly is because I had no idea when my work situation would turn around. I could have been out of work for months for all I knew. Plus, when I do start sending out resume's, I have to kill off the news link to this thread off the front page since I reference this site on my resume. So time was a huge factor.

I do not have to terminate the OC Linux / Windows servers until the 11th-14th or so of February. So given that 2 days advance notice is needed to not get billed, I would say I need to terminate them before next Saturday.

My expectations are high that I will slip right into another job position very soon. So technically I could front the full financial cost of these 2 machines. However, this still takes a mighty bite out of my income.

I have decided that I will keep both machines online for the time being. If things spiral out of control and I fear I might have bigtime financial issues, I will take 1 or both of them offline. Regardless of my financial situation improving, I feel given the costs of running these game servers, a donation box is needed to at the very least help pay for part of the server costs. A third or even a half of the costs being covered by donations would make all the difference in the world. The ONLY thing this donation box will be going towards, is the game servers. I would show the grand total for a years worth of hosting, and would update the total number of donations made thus far. I would not promote this donation box much on the site outside of a side block blurb or maybe something in my own sig. I hate advertising so much I can barely bring myself to advertise this donation box haha. So that is my plan to far. I actually want to try and get the donation box up as soon as possible so I can get it out of the way.

Also, another very important factor to consider, is that these servers aren't isolated to the existing games they host. There are plans for more services to be featured on these machines. Namely, our own 4x4 Evolution chat server, and a place to host Starlancer whenever it goes offline.

I just want to say I really appreciate everyone's swift replies so I steer this in the right direction. This thread is still alive, so commentary on this situation can continue.

Also, some of you conveyed your concerns about not having money readily available to donate. Yes I understand this 100%. Please do not donate then. Only donate if you have money that you can spare and it will not negatively impact your finances. Do not stress out or go crazy. If you could only contribute 2.00 for an entire year. That is perfectly fine. Nobody is obligated to contribute a donation. personally, I think there will be some people donating 1.00 here or there, and others who are more well off and further on in life, where they could drop in a 10.00 amount every once and a while. Its going to be very scattered, however I feel it will all pile up. If the total amount rapidly exceeds a full years server costs, it would carry over into the following year. If 2 years worth of server costs have been amassed, I would then put a stop to all further donations until the 2 years are up.
Posted:
Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:03 am
quote : #26
I have never actually used any of your servers, but I have frequently accessed this site. How much are you paying to keep the site up, in relation to the servers? I hope it's not too much. There was one time fairly recently that I refreshed the Gamecube forum to see if someone posted in one of my threads several times within only a few hours, but now I'm starting to feel regretful about that.

Regardless of whether or not you're spending too much money on hosting the site, I'll make a donation, but it will probably be relatively low. (An initial deposit around five dollars, although I may give more later.)
rank 40
Posted:
Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:25 am
quote : #27
Havent much 2 say - only - where is the donation box?
Posted:
Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:42 pm
quote : #28
I would love to donate, but I'm in highschool with an income of $25 a month... I might be able to donate $5 though.
Posted:
Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 pm
quote : #29
Hey guys, please don't feel guilty about how much you think you can donate. If you can only donate a dollar here, and a dollar there, that is perfectly fine. Even if you do not donate at all, I am not holding that against anyone. It is a reason why they are called "Donations" hehe Wink
Posted:
Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:25 am
quote : #30
Hey, on a side note, thanks for bringing the subject up with a newpost and asking what our thoughts were.