Page Location: Home > Support > OC Site Support > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:57 pm
quote : #46
profile : pm
Dont list us in public - who donate knows why. Also it would set ppl who dont donate under pressure.

Only my view Mr. Green
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:58 am
quote : #47
Type: Pal
lordnikon wrote:
Hey misfits, I sent you a PM with address information.-Thanks

Also I was thinking about listing the usernames of people who contributed a donation, to the donation page. Just to say thanks and put people up on the board. However I don't know how you guys would feel about this. Let me know what you think. I don't want to go overboard, just a simply showing of recognition to those who are pitching in.

It wouldent bother me if you wanted to do that or not. best get some more feedback.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:53 am
quote : #48
Type: NTSC-U/C
If I started adding users to the list, and then update the our current donation total, then people could guestimate how much another user donated. Whether people donate 5 dollars or 50 dollars, they want reassurance that their donation is making a difference. I don't want to do anything that would diminish that or put undue pressures on users in any way.

So what I have decided to do is show the total users via a single number digit. Then at the very end of the year, I will list all of the users who have donated. I think this is better because it generates more anonymity towards how much people are donating.
Posted:
Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:46 pm
quote : #49
The year end plan sounds ok to me.
Actually I was looking for that thread about coolest person on the site (it was a suggestion) and someone had said something to the effect of we don't want someone saying ....i'm cooler than you officially! (of course that idea was shot down) and I would dislike for someone bringing up how much they donated into a game.
because at the end of the day this site for me is about having fun.
dslps2
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:19 pm
quote : #50
can i use a credit card to donate money ?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:17 pm
quote : #51
Yes you can use a creditcard if you do not have a paypal account. Simply enter the amount you would like to donate, hit update total, and then there is a link on "continue" under the bold text in the lower left where it says "Don't have a PayPal account?"

It accepts Vista, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
Posted:
Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:25 pm
quote : #52
Type: PAL
When you first see the cost of nearly $3000 its a bit of a shock.
However when you break it down into reality it is not that much,
For example there is probably around 25-30 really active people on the DC boards,
then an additional 50-60 active/occasional posters, and hundreds of lurkers.
Of course there is also the userbases at the GC and PS2 sections.

Think about it this way if 50 people donated $1 every week.
thats like 50p for us Brits, and is a very realistic value considering how tight
and prioritised or poor we are Laughing
Thats $52 a year per person, resulting in $2600 a year from 50 people.

And there you go there is the money we need.
All you would need is 50 people from the varying communities on this site.
And thats not even considering wealthier donators.

50 people, $1/50p a week, No advertising, and some awesome servers.
Very Happy
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
K_I_R_E_E_K
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:03 pm
quote : #53
Type: PAL
O_O, never imagined 1$ a wekk would make such a diference.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:34 pm
quote : #54
It is a lot harder than you think to get this money coming in. Asking for donations is a big deal, almost like pulling teeth. People are extremly frugal with their money. Most will bust their balls for months on end to save 3 dollars on an ebay auction.

Also you need to realise that $52 is a lot to expect considering subscription sites like GameSpot and IGN cost almost half that per year. Lurkers aren't going to donate, and most people are followers rather than leaders who are going to expect everyone else to donate and they don't have to. However when the majority think like this, then yea nothing gets donated.

I bet we don't even breach $350.00 by the end of the year. I am not trying to be pessimistic or anything, but most of the gung-ho supporters have donated already (like under 10 people). Just being a realist Wink

I am hoping that with some future tournaments, and improving some various aspects of game tracking, activity will spike a bit causing the servers to get more use. The key is for people to see the value of the servers. Doing that requires getting people to actually play on them. Otherwise they simply aren't going to support them with a donation.
Posted:
Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:36 am
quote : #55
hey lordnikon,i dont know if u posted about this situation on the ps2 site, but if u didnt you should. I dont have a dreamcast (yet...) but I still try to check this site every once in awhile. And actually I think reminding people about donating everyonce in awhile isnt such a bad idea. Like I completely forgot about the donation box. Now that I have a summer job donating a little isnt a problem and actually I would have no problem with donating like 5 bucks a month even when im unemployed during the school year. So feel free to remind me thru pm or something. I see donating as an investment because I plan to use your servers in the future hehe. Also even if i never use your servers I think you deserve some help from the community for all you do with upkeep of these sites.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 pm
quote : #56
I still need to put information about the donation box in a more prominant place. This is as far as I will go. I can only present the information for others to read. I refuse to panhandle like bloggers and internet comics who beg their userbase to click on advertisements and donate. I simply cannot do it. It isn't in me. It took me a long time to muster up the courage to actually put up a donation box in the first place. I appreciate all of the donations everyone has contributed so far, and respect you all greatly for the team effort to support the game servers.

One very very VERY important note I need to make, is that donating 1.00 is not a good idea at all.

Here is a breakdown of the percentage paypal takes out of the donation based on ammount:

$20 = 5.4%
$10 = 5.9%
$3 = 14%
$1 = 44%

So if you donate only 1.00, paypal takes out 44 cents, thus making the donation a total of 66 cents. This means if you donated a single dollar, for 10 days, you would only be donating $6.60. Yes thats right paypal would claim $4.40 for themselves.

I recommend making donations of $5.00 or more at a time.

---

ALSO! Note: I have to manually update the little meter chart for the total donations manually. So if you donate, and don't see the number go up on our donations page, please be patient. Wink
Posted:
Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:25 am
quote : #57
ok well just make sure u have the donation box somewhere easy to see, and wow paypal is greedy

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:38 pm
quote : #58
Link has changed, and is now located at "servers.php"

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/servers.php

These changes were made because I don't want to associate the link with a huge button named "DONATION" on the front page. Instead, there will be information linking to "Game Servers". It's less like pahandling, and more casual in nature. Plus the page actually does over quite a bit of information about our game servers. So the page has 2 purposes.

Statistics were also added to the base of the page.

PLEASE NOTE! - I took down the Linux server which hosted 10 Q3 servers. Due to the ratio of active players on Quake 3 at this time, and the total cost of running the Linux machine, I thought it was best to take it down. Instead, 2 Quake 3 deathmatch servers have been stacked onto the Windows machine. I felt this was the smartest move for right now, and it brings the total yearly cost from 2,900 all the way down to a little under 1,600 dollars per year to run this single machine.
Posted:
Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:02 pm
quote : #59
what are the methods of putting cash in the donation box? I still don't have access to a credit card and the current Debit Card service gets rejected everywhre...including PayPal...the name of my Debit Card is Green Dot which I got as a gift and I can't do anything with the money inside of it! I tried buying a B-Daman and waited 2 months just to find out that it got rejected, I tried adding funds to my virtual wallet in the PS3 and it gets rejected along with taking a buck...then i decided to just use it the money to add to the donation box since I started playing SWBF2...paypal rejcts the card saying that the company(or something) didn't do something...I forgot what it said and it was clear enough that it got rejected.
Posted:
Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:24 pm
quote : #60
I never tried your server yet, but I respect what you are doing. I proudly donated. You are doing an excellent job at keeping something special alive.