lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:58 am
quote : #61
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Kannibal wrote:
what are the methods of putting cash in the donation box? I still don't have access to a credit card and the current Debit Card service gets rejected everywhre...including PayPal...the name of my Debit Card is Green Dot which I got as a gift and I can't do anything with the money inside of it! I tried buying a B-Daman and waited 2 months just to find out that it got rejected, I tried adding funds to my virtual wallet in the PS3 and it gets rejected along with taking a buck...then i decided to just use it the money to add to the donation box since I started playing SWBF2...paypal rejcts the card saying that the company(or something) didn't do something...I forgot what it said and it was clear enough that it got rejected.

Kannibal, hit me up via Private Message, and we can work it out where you simply mail your donation in via snail mail (post office hehe).

ATN_LR wrote:
I never tried your server yet, but I respect what you are doing. I proudly donated. You are doing an excellent job at keeping something special alive.

Cool thanks for the Donation. We should play some Quake 3 Arena or Maximum Pool sometime then Wink

--

Note: I added a "Last Updated" part in the stats box in the lower right of the page. Sometimes I get cought up with other things and it might take me a few days to get the donations page updated. So I figured I would tack this on to give people a better indication of when the page is being updated.
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm
quote : #62
If you want I could host a Linux Quake 3 dedicated server for you, I need to put one of the dormant pc's to good use. The connection would obviously not be professional quality (We have ComCast unfortunately), but it would be playable.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:50 pm
quote : #63
There is no need for another Q3 server. Very few are using the servers we have now; why add another one?

The best course of action to give back to the community is to donate. Remember, your donations not only go toward the Quake 3 servers, but the Maximum Pool and Phantasy Star Online servers as well.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:02 am
quote : #64
Well here is how I look at it: I think the more servers the better. The more servers we have up, the more places people have to play, and the more people are at least hooking in and being active with Dreamcast Online whether it be playing... or hosting.

The biggest problem is that people host servers with the expectation that people will play on them all the time, or at least regularly enough to keep encouraging you to host. This isn't going to happen. You sort of have to just run the server on a spare machine on your network and just let it sit there, knowing that people may rarely play on it, or that it might get activtiy in short bursts over time. As long as you can become comfortable with the idea that the machine may not get much use, then I recommend hosting a Q3 server. Possibly even a modded server with some interesting DC 1.16n compatible serverside mods.

As far as donations, the OC servers aren't in jeapardy of going down, but the donations do help defray the 1,500.00 yearly costs (which may end up rising to 2,200+ if we end up adding a second machine). These costs are paid in full by myself, with monthly bills. OC is non-profit, and any donations simply go to cut down on these hardware operating costs. The benefits are that these game servers are on dedicated bandwidth, and at dedicated IP's.

I am pretty non-chalant about all of this. As long as you are chatting with community members and playing some Dreamcast Online and having fun, thats what really counts Very Happy