Wish I had that money to spend.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:13 pm
quote : #3
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea that is Adol's collection. I have purchased some Dreamcast imports from him in the past from various forums. He had pictures of his collection up on Digital Press, which I have been admiring for a while now. The interesting thing is, the price he is asking is very reasonable. It would come out to about 33 dollars per game.
Posted:
Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:14 pm
quote : #4
I wish it was all in seperate auctions... for $20,000 that will never sell.
Posted:
Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:33 pm
quote : #5
nick944 wrote:
I wish it was all in seperate auctions... for $20,000 that will never sell.

really?? what if YOU had the money?? Mr. Green Mr. Green
I know what I'd do Wink

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:35 pm
quote : #6
Adol knows what he is doing. He has many factory sealed collections and managed to accumulate many of his games during the early days of eBay when finding rare games from Japan was pretty difficult. He sold import and hard to find items on eBay for big money. A while back I remember buying Napple Tale, Run DIM = Black Soul (Limited Edition), and Vermilion Desert from him. Each of them sealed.

Adol put that auction up to see if a seasoned collector would buy it. Anyone who seriously collects video games and saw that auction would consider purchasing it.

If I had double what I have in the bank right now, I would purchase that from Adol.

There are 2 things you would be buying in this auction besides the games:

1.) Mint Condition Quality
2.) Time

The interesting part is that second one, TIME. I have been slowly but steadily building up my Japanese Dreamcast collection. I have about 260 releases so far. I bought my first import in October of 2004. So it has taken me about 3-4 years to accumulate the games I have. Imagine all of the time sitting on ebay. All of the time dealing with searching for the best price for any given game across numerious shops. All of the time cleaning the games, disposing of shipping boxes, leaving feedback.

It all adds up.

Take 20,000 and divide that by 4, and that comes out to only 5,000 per year if you were to acquire double the games I have in the same time period.

So if I keep going at the same pace, it will take me about another 4 years to complete my Japanese Dreamcast collection. Divide 20 grand by 8, and it comes out to 2,500 per year.

20 thousand for a complete Japanese sealed set is a bargain.
Posted:
Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:33 pm
quote : #7
Well it didnt end up selling....so it doesn't look like any of us DC fans have 20k to spend.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:35 am
quote : #8
I guess I'll just leave him a pm, should I even win the lottery or something Mr. Green Mr. Green

Kannibal
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:30 am
quote : #9
In my opinion, A serious collector would have no second thoughts and find a way to buy all of that....plus he would need to learn Japananese to be able to play the games (if he wanted to)
Posted:
Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:22 am
quote : #10
Type: PAL
Kannibal wrote:
In my opinion, A serious collector would have no second thoughts and find a way to buy all of that....plus he would need to learn Japananese to be able to play the games (if he wanted to)

Hmm I doubt someone who buys an entire collection like this would unseal the games. That's the "problem", if you open the games they lose their value, if you leave them sealed the only thing you can do is stare at them. But that's what hardcore collecting is about Smile

Personally I try to collect only the best games for the system, plus some rarities, but only if I think I'll spend some time playing them. But yeah, if I had money to spare this would definitely be something I'd be buying Laughing The price is really fair for what you're getting. It should be in a museum Laughing

bomb78
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:22 am
quote : #11
I've never understood why people collect sealed games... (i have the full set of PAL games but i always open them at least to test them)

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:43 am
quote : #12
bomb78 wrote:
I've never understood why people collect sealed games... (i have the full set of PAL games but i always open them at least to test them)

Because these sealed games are more expensive later

Segata Sanshiro
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:16 am
quote : #13
JKKDARK wrote:
bomb78 wrote:

That's why collecting games is a "safe" hobby (if you ever spend too much money you'll probably be able to get back what you spent, maybe even more), but I don't think speculating is the reason why some people collect sealed games.

Again, I wouldn't buy games I'd never play, but I understand starting a collection and completing it has to be very rewarding.

Citing Adol:

"My childhood is 8&16 bits,and partly 32 bits. [...] I did Saturn & Dreamcast by respect to Sega, and because i wanted to have all Sega-console based games ever released in Japan."

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:00 pm
quote : #14
Type: Pal
JKKDARK wrote:
bomb78 wrote:

But how much later? Just wondering do people think in say 25-40 years this collection will be worth a lot more? I dont know as its a full collection its a bit different but looking at the games I played when I was a kid which was 25 years ago Laughing they are worth pennies in the bottoms of boxs at car boot sales. The funny thing is I think in 7-10 years time thats when rare dreamcast games may peak in price where as in 25 years time will there be much interest? I think with consoles from master system onwards its yet to be seen, wait and see I guess.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:31 pm
quote : #15
First of all, I would unseal all of the games in that collection. I have a hard time appreciating situations where people feel the need to collect games, leave them in a small barrier of manufactured plastic, and let them sit on the shelf for years. They should be opened and played.

Also, video games are not something to invest your money in if you are trying to turn a huge profit. Very few games ever become more expensive than their original retail price. Blast is right. If you wait 25-40 years, maybe you make a few thousand dollars in profit by selling your collection, but this is not much money when compared to a full years salary at a job.

Just look at Adol's sealed Dreamcast collection. 33.00 per game is a drastic reduction from what these games sold for when they were first released.

Games either continue to drop in price, or level out at a certain price range, and continue to stay there as long as their availability stays the same.

Just look at Border Down. How much do you guys think that game will be worth in 10 years? Will it double in value? That will make the Limited Edition version worth around 400-500 dollars. Sure its a bit expensive for a game, but for anyone that has a full time job and saves their money you could just buy this any time you wanted. If you owned it, and sold it, you would be making a few hundred bucks profit? Pay for part of rent or car insurance? Its not like you could retire on it.