Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
L_P_F
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:06 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello all I just wondering if anyone has used the Total Control Plus PS2 controller > DC convertor with Quake 3? I don't have much space to set up a KB and mouse in front of my TV and wanted to use my PS2 controller for the second analog stick...but didn't know if the second analog stick works through the convertor!

Hope someone can help!

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:26 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
It works great with the game, though the second analog won't work. The first analog is sorta iffy with the game because it tends to "drift" a little if you let go of it.
Posted:
Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:46 pm
quote : #3
ok, thanks for that. I think I'll just stick with the DC pad and the mouse and KB.

Cheers for that Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:55 pm
quote : #4
I have tried every alternative control method there is, to try and circumvent the Dreamcast's left side analog stick setup.

I even found a controller that lets you re-map each individual function to anything on the controller. So I have played DCQ3 with dual analog sticks. The problem however is that they were just too imprecise. I was aiming all over the place and wasn't really able to track my targets well.

The Dreamcast's analog stick is very precise and controls really well.

I know there are a lot of people that are used to played FPS's with dual analog sticks, but more importantly by aiming with the rightside analog stick.

After having tried every available option, I have concluded that if you are going to use a controller, just practice practice practice with the Dreamcast controller. It really is the best option. You simply have to get re-acclimated to aiming with the left side analog stick. Sit back and play against a bunch of bots, and also some scrimmage matches online. Eventually it will be second nature. It just takes time to get used to it.
Posted:
Mon May 18, 2009 6:44 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U
makes me glad I've always been a southpaw player. I hate using a right stick to look. I always switch it to the left one.

peens
rank 9
Posted:
Wed May 20, 2009 5:22 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U
it would be interesting if you could mix the mouse and the controller. i guess it would be no different except for if you have no room for a keyboard, or if you dont have a keybouard. you could use the joystick to move and the mouse to aim and shoot. you could even use the trigger for an extra button.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed May 20, 2009 5:40 am
quote : #7
Yea it is definatly possible with Q3 to use a controller for movement and jumping, and a mouse for shooting and aiming. All thanks to Q3 allowing for complete customization of your controls.
Posted:
Wed May 20, 2009 4:18 pm
quote : #8
Type: Pal
peens wrote:
it would be interesting if you could mix the mouse and the controller. i guess it would be no different except for if you have no room for a keyboard, or if you dont have a keybouard. you could use the joystick to move and the mouse to aim and shoot. you could even use the trigger for an extra button.

This is how I started with Q3 only I went one more step Shocked I use to use controller in left hand mouse in right and have the KB on the floor and use my toe to jump with the space bar Surprised The reason I did this was I found hitting jump on the KB or mouse always jolted me and moved my aim as I jumped to shoot. Dont think I could play like it now though.

Laters
Posted:
Wed May 20, 2009 6:55 pm
quote : #9
You can even use a wireless ps2 controller, Bigben IR brand works I think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrD9M2PlIWc