lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:46 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Christuserloeser wrote:
Once again, it seems you were right, lordnikon. (I just wish you weren't Surprised )

Yea, some people think my overly cautious, serious attitude about things is always being negative. I just like to sit back, wait, and research a story so that the proper accurate information makes it out to the public. This is why whenever I have news about online games, I wait almost 2 whole weeks to post anything about it.

Unfortunatly we live in a day and age where nobody checks facts. There is no games journalism anymore because every blog for games just posts whatever random crap that comes along. They have no accountability and zero fact checking.

Are you aware of the damage you have caused?

here is your post at Sega Boards:
http://boards2.sega.com/sega_board/viewtopic.php?t=85279

which was then sourced at seganerds:
http://www.seganerds.com/2008/03/08/sega-japan-still-showing-dreamcast-support-in-2008/#more-3816

which was then sourced on KOTAKU:
http://kotaku.com/365502/sega-asks-do-you-still-own-a-dreamcast

Now that it is on KOTAKU this is being spread and circulated across every game blog on the internet.

These situations are so embarrasing for the Dreamcast community. We should be making smarter decisions about what information gets funneled out into mainstream news sources. I keep waiting for the day that people are going to shed their fanboy, reactionary, jumping to conclusions outlook on things; and start to mature into smarter contributors to the community. Well its 2008, 10 years later, and it still hasn't happened yet.

As always I am not trying to offend anyone. I am merely being abrasively blunt with my words in the hopes that people change and strive to better themselves for the future.

Next time a story like this comes along, sit on it for a few days and research it to death. Breakdown the positives and negatives of releasing such information, and try not to jump to conclusions.

Christuserloeser wrote:
- What did happen with the Shenmue thing ? I heard about it today for the first time.

Here is the thread about the Shenmue Passport hoax:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6267
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:59 pm
quote : #17
Quote:
Are you aware of the damage you have caused?

Well, kinda. There's just not much I can do anymore.

Last edited by Christuserloeser on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:10 pm
quote : #18
Type: PAL
Ok than it's 100% fake , than there is no need to continue this discussion
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:30 pm
quote : #19
ALL HAIL NIKON Laughing Laughing

I've always been a DC fan, since day one. But I've learnt so much stuff (I didn't know) about it ever since I joined this place last year.
I really appreciate folks like you who do decent research & share it with the community.

respect m8

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:49 pm
quote : #20
Mazonemayu wrote:
ALL HAIL NIKON Laughing Laughing

I've always been a DC fan, since day one. But I've learnt so much stuff (I didn't know) about it ever since I joined this place last year.
I really appreciate folks like you who do decent research & share it with the community.

respect m8

I appreciate the kind words, but I wasn't trying to create a situation where it is "me vs everyone else". It takes time and experience for people to mature into better community contributors. Back when OC started I was just as green as anyone else. Want to read something really funny?

See this news announcement I made over at the GC site on Apr 28, 2003:
http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13

Notice the all caps text and exclamation points all over the place. Typical over-zealous posting that you would see on any message board by an average user. That was the 13th total post at that site when OC was just starting up back in 2003.

I am still constantly learning myself how to better my own actions. For instance my replies in this thread could have been shifted to a more positive nature where I omit words like "damage" and "embarrassing" and replaced them with more encouraging comments.

These are all learning experiences and hopefully Christuserloeser and others take what they have learned here, and apply it to future Dreamcast information postings.
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:44 pm
quote : #21
I just sent an email to SEGA support about the website, hopefully they might do something about it.
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:06 pm
quote : #22
Wow, I don't go near the internet for a day and this happens. I miss all the fun... Sad

Maybe I should spend a week off-line and see what crazy dreamcast related hoax's happen. Smile
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:29 pm
quote : #23
What a nice speach Segata Sanshiro!
I didn't know that the Shenmue was brought back to life! Do all it's functions work propperly?

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:49 pm
quote : #24
You don't even have to register a serial number, or anything that resembles one. I just tried to register lol and it worked. I pinged the site and looked up the IP which is based in Orlando, Florida, and doesn't match any of SEGA's IPs.
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:04 pm
quote : #25
lordnikon wrote:
See this news announcement I made over at the GC site on Apr 28, 2003:
http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/ phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13

That made me laugh. You're like a bouncy 14 year old boy who can't wait to beg his mommy for the new game.

I do hate that there isn't a lot of fact checking that goes on online. The internet is a great resource, but it is very prone to the proliferation of rumor and hearsay. Whenever I look for information I have to take everything with a bit of cautious skepticism and seek multiple sources of hopefully independent information. I rarely accept something after the first source.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Segata Sanshiro
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:16 am
quote : #26
Treamcaster wrote:
What a nice speach Segata Sanshiro!
I didn't know that the Shenmue was brought back to life! Do all it's functions work propperly?

No, they don't. Members of the Shenmue Dojo site forced him to take everything down and return the domain to Sega after they found everything was a lie. I don't know if Sega owns the shenmue.com domain now.

nick944 wrote:
I just sent an email to SEGA support about the website, hopefully they might do something about it.

Which address did you send it to? Also, maybe it'd be a good idea to point them to sites like Kotaku so they will contact them correct the information. Or maybe it'd be faster to write directly to Mike Fahey, the guy who posted the article at Kotaku. I keep mentioning Kotaku simply because it's the site that seems to have gotten the most attention from everyone. His address is fahey at kotaku dot com. I'll try not to sound too harsh to him but I won't ignore the fact he didn't bother double-checking the information.

bomb78
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:15 am
quote : #27
Well for the shenmue.com, the guy did it the wrong way but it was a good idea i think..

Treamcaster
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:46 am
quote : #28
But why did Shenmue Dojo do such a thing? It could have been a lie, but at least the passport would have been playable again and enjoyed by those who never got theirs hands on it before.

Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:56 am
quote : #29
nick944 wrote:

Very good. I read that quite a few people did report this site to SOJ/SOA/SOE.

Segata Sanshiro wrote:
Also, maybe it'd be a good idea to point them to sites like Kotaku so they will contact them correct the information. Or maybe it'd be faster to write directly to Mike Fahey, the guy who posted the article at Kotaku. I keep mentioning Kotaku simply because it's the site that seems to have gotten the most attention from everyone. His address is fahey at kotaku dot com.

I've sent him an email explaining this mess.
Posted:
Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:47 pm
quote : #30
Apparently a member from DCEmu sent an email to Sega and got an answer.

Quote:
I sent an e-mail to Sega about the page, and I got a response pretty quickly:

"Thanks for writing to alert us of this phishing scam. We're aware of it and we are working on resolving this ASAP.

Once again, we really do appreciate that you've brought this to us directly.

Thanks,
Max at SEGA"

At least they're aware of it; hopefully the site will get taken down soon.

// And maybe an official memorial site will be put up in its place as some kind of nod to Dreamcast fans? One can hope.