Page 1 of 1
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:05 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: Pal
I have a s-video to scart connector. My question is if I convert Dreamcast S-video to scart will I loose the S-video quality? It seems to me common sense that if the device you are plugging into does not have a S-video input then it wont support that display option? Not naming specifics here as there are various options i.e. I could convert DC s-video into scart into my video which does not have a S-video input, or I could convert DC s-video to scart into my TV which does have an s-video input. Reason I ask is I have two devices I want to use with S-video and only one s-video input which is in my TV.

Laters
Posted:
Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:27 am
quote : #2
I know this adapters ... and the one I got is shit. Seems that all I got was an AV signal via the scart conenction.... Better you get a switch box for svideo signals --- they arent that expensive.
Posted:
Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:55 am
quote : #3
Blast wrote:
I have a s-video to scart connector. My question is if I convert Dreamcast S-video to scart will I loose the S-video quality? It seems to me common sense that if the device you are plugging into does not have a S-video input then it wont support that display option? Not naming specifics here as there are various options i.e. I could convert DC s-video into scart into my video which does not have a S-video input, or I could convert DC s-video to scart into my TV which does have an s-video input. Reason I ask is I have two devices I want to use with S-video and only one s-video input which is in my TV.

Laters

I'm not sure I understand your situation very well. SCART is a sort of plug (aka Euro-Connector). It usually carries various video signals such as regular composite, s-video and RGB. Why do you like to convert s-video to SCART?

If your TV has SCART inputs, I suggest you use an RGB SCART cable to maximise image quality.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:39 am
quote : #4
Blast wrote:
Reason I ask is I have two devices I want to use with S-video and only one s-video input which is in my TV.

Thats the reason I was asking.

S video cable: http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=444300998&mid=66998

Scart for DC: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oFhXhtfRL._AA280_.jpg

S video to scart adaptor: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/images_versions/4621.jpg

What I wanted to know was if I convert S-video to scart conmnector do I loose the extra picture quality provided by s-video.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:21 am
quote : #5
Blast ---> RGB (via scart) is better then the Svideo picture signal. Why you dont use your RGB cable - thats the cable which you called Scart for DC.

The adapter which you got is the same I own. Well I dont know any TV which supports a svideo signal through the scart connection - Im sure its possible - but most doesnt. So if you use this adapter and the svideo cable - you ll simple see the cheap AV signal through the scart connection and not a svideo pic.
Posted:
Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:26 am
quote : #6
grubensau wrote:
Blast ---> RGB (via scart) is better then the Svideo picture signal. Why you dont use your RGB cable - thats the cable which you called Scart for DC.

The adapter which you got is the same I own. Well I dont know any TV which supports a svideo signal through the scart connection - Im sure its possible - but most doesnt. So if you use this adapter and the svideo cable - you ll simple see the cheap AV signal through the scart connection and not a svideo pic.

Ohh right, thats odd I was always told that S video (Super VHS as some people call it) was better than scart connection Confused

Laters
Posted:
Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:46 am
quote : #7
SCART = Composite or S-Video or RGB. RGB is by far the best signal you can get if you are using a CRT.

- Except for VGA (which is also RGB but in 480p) which is used on High End CRTs (like PC monitors) and which is recommend for LCD/Plasma as those don't work with interlaced signals.
Posted:
Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:34 am
quote : #8
Christuserloeser wrote:
SCART = Composite or S-Video or RGB. RGB is by far the best signal you can get if you are using a CRT.

- Except for VGA (which is also RGB but in 480p) which is used on High End CRTs (like PC monitors) and which is recommend for LCD/Plasma as those don't work with interlaced signals.

Correct, although the jump in quality from s-video to RGB isn't as great as from composite to s-video. The ranking goes as follows:

RF
Composite
S-video
RGB
VGA (a variant of RGB in high definition 640x480 progressive scan)

I wouldn't settle for anything less than s-video for my DC games. VGA is as good as it gets. Seeing games run on high definition is a sight to behold and a huge leap even from SCART RGB. The only limitation to this is you need a VGA box and monitors don't usually go beyond 17-19".

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:48 am
quote : #9
I dont remember what came with my Dreamcast when I first got it if there was just RF or if it had scart too. I have a feeling I had to buy a scart but it makes me wonder why is there a S video cable for DC. How many TV's have an S-video connection but not a scart hardly any I should think. I bet there are a fair few that have scart input but no S-video. I have been in possesion of 2 tv's myself that have scart input but no S-video. Hence the confusion I think if new more advanced TV's have S-video input and older ones dont you feel that the s-video must be a newer higher grade connection. Now I have a problem as I have only 3 scarts on my TV and I dont like to multi scart as there always seems to be interferance or lack of performance. Hmm dilema.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:36 am
quote : #10
Blast wrote:
How many TV's have an S-video connection but not a scart hardly any I should think. I bet there are a fair few that have scart input but no S-video.

Most TVs in Europe come equipped with an SCART socket (and no s-video). That's why it's sometimes called a EURO-connector. However, in North America and Japan, the standard is quite different (they don't use SCART at all). Traditional CRT TVs in these regions would typically have the RCA plugs. S-video inputs would be included in some tvs, while newer ones would have component (another variant of RGB that carries progressive scan signal unlike SCART).

Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:35 am
quote : #11
Blast wrote:
I think if new more advanced TV's have S-video input and older ones dont you feel that the s-video must be a newer higher grade connection.

It's because S-Video became more common with the arrival of DVD. - There hardly was anything you could use with S-Video before DVD players with S-Video out were released - at least here in Europe.

...and of course RGB-Scart is a better solution to connect your DVD player to your CRT than S-Video is.

Blast wrote:
Now I have a problem as I have only 3 scarts on my TV

It is very likely that only 1 of them can carry RGB. Check your TV's manual.

Blast wrote:
and I dont like to multi scart as there always seems to be interferance or lack of performance.

Yeah, I always had nothing but trouble with these too. Sure, they are cheap but that doesn't help if they don't work. Confused

- I think it might be a wise idea to buy a switch box that's capable of displaying RGB. Search for those that definitely tell you they would support all 21 pins, as these will work with RGB.

Posted Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:44 am:

zeleny wrote:
S-video inputs would be included in some tvs, while newer ones would have component (another variant of RGB that carries progressive scan signal unlike SCART).

Component is a good solution for LCD/Plasma because it supports progressive scan, which like you mentioned, SCART is not capable of at all. Most DVD players will put out a composite signal via SCART if you force the display to progressive scan.

Still, RGB-SCART will produce a much better picture on most CRTs, because the colors will be much better. We had a discussion about that not too long ago at DCEmulation: http://dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=96365

Basically, the best analogue signal you can get is VGA / DVI-A (which carries a VGA signal).