Page Location: Home > Archive - General > Topic
After this month, and sega kills most of the servers you will...
...play what games are left online, even if its just Quake 3 and PSO!
47%
47% [ 11 ]
...still play the few games that remain, but 2-3 games isn't enough, I need to another console
26%
26% [ 6 ]
...leave online console gaming forever, this torture has killed my gaming soul.
0%
0% [ 0 ]
...run around like a monkey cought in a burning building.
26%
26% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 23
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:07 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
just a fun post to see what people think

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:27 am
quote : #2
Gotta stick with the Dreamcast man! Very Happy

If we do get Broadband though, you will see me on Quake 3 (PC Version), BattleField 1942, and some PS2 online games.

-Mytho

Lunar Eclipse
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:36 am
quote : #3
I won't abandon the DC, but I'll start using the GCN and a little more PC for online gaming. I can't wait for Episode III on the GCN even though it sounds a bit weird.
Posted:
Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:36 pm
quote : #4
As far as I am concerned, the Dreamcast should be displayed in the Smithsonian Institue, for it's incredible contribution to the world of online gaming!

With that being said, I plan to continue playing the DC both online and offline. Although I must admit, I've had the most fun with the Dreamcast online.....especially all of the great late-night AFO, Outtrigger and Ooga Booga gaming sessions!

Most of all, I've met some cool people and made some great friends while playing online....all thanks to the Dreamcast! How many people can say that about those "other" gaming systems, hmmmm? Laughing

Technofungk
Posted:
Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:02 pm
quote : #5
Amen Techno! Very Happy

I can honestly say that I've had the most online fun with my Dreamcast. Even Dreamcast has cooler online games than the PC. Why?

It's because I feel that there are more original games on consoles. Also, EVERYONE had 56K. Yes, I know of the Broadband Adaptor, but it wasn't supported as heavly as it should of been. More of a level playing field.

SegaNet paved the way for the online road. Unfortuently, it seems like Sega was ahead of its time....

My friends and I were dissapointed when we found out Sega would launch with ZERO online games. Nonetheless, I stuck with Sega, for I saw the light when I booted up Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur.

In 2000, Sega blasted off to venture into the unknown world known as Online Console Gaming. They later returned with a rat infestation, and made a great online puzzler featuring these loveable mice called Chu Chu Rocket!

However, gamers craved more diverse online games, such as sports titles, first-person shooters, and (gasp!) role-playing games!

But the gamers' attention swayed towards the overhyped Sony Playstation 2. Many gamers felt the Dreamcast was out-of-date, but a sect of gamers, protected from Sony's brainwashing, took to the online world like a football player to a pigskin.

Ignoring the Dreamcast's innovations in online gaming, gamers fell in love with Sony's Playstation 2, despite the low quality of the launch games, and the Playstation 2 shortages.

Early next year, Sega unleashed the world of Ragol to gamers everywhere in Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast gamers everywhere had something in common with crack smokers: They had an addiction. And if the way they were living was wrong, they didn't want to be right.

The success of Phantasy Star Online was not enough to offset the problems Sega was having with the Dreamcast. In early 2001, Sega announced they would drop the Dreamcast and create only software

Meanwhile, GameSharkers were running rampant in PSO, ruining things for the legit players. It got to the point where some quit due to hackers breaking into passworded games.

While the Dreamcast was thinking for the last time, a wave of great online games came out.

Outtrigger, a fast-paced FPS, shot SegaNet up with its furious gameplay. It gave First Person Shooter fans a change of pace from the fragging mayhem of Quake III: Arena and the flak spamming chaos that is Unreal Tournament.

Alien Front Online gave cyberspace the anal probe with its arcade gameplay, great voice chat, and destructable enviroments. Ever want to destroy Tokyo? You could do it in this game. Wanted to get back at Bush? This game let you destroy obliterate Washington D.C., White House and all! Those were the days.... This was also my first Dreamcast online game.

Sega dropped the bomb with Bomberman Online. It gave the already excellent multiplayer a new mode: Online. Bombing a Sega Dreamcast hundreds of miles away has never been this much fun.

Finally, a personal fav. of mine, Ooga Booga! While the name may sound a bit barbaric, the game is pure Smash Brothers style fun. Can't afford to take a trip with up to three of your friends to a Carribean Island? Ooga Booga has you covered. The frantic Tiki action will appeal to anyone. Boar Polo has got to be one of the most intense team games around!

And really folks, what matters at the end of the day is if the game is fun, not it if has the most technologically advance graphics around.

Here's to you, Sega! Though you've made some pretty bone-headed decisions (Releasing the Sega Saturn early comes to mind), you also spearheaded online console gaming! Very Happy

May the remaining online Dreamcast games live!

-Mytho

Lunar Eclipse
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:00 pm
quote : #6
I completely agree with you mytho. Nice message.
Posted:
Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:15 pm
quote : #7
I left out the racing games, and I didn't mention Quake 3: Arena or Unreal Tournament too much.

The omission of sports games was a personal one, as I do not like them.

The only thing I wish I did was get into the DC Online scene a little earlier. I remember seeing Outtrigger, Bomberman Online, and Ooga Booga being retailed for $15 a piece. A shame I never bought Outtrigger and Bomberman... Crying or Very sad

-Mytho

Technofungk
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:32 pm
quote : #8
Awesome post Mythos!

Yes, you did leave out a few online titles, but it's Ok. Although I just knew you were going to mention SPEED DEVILS ONLINE.

Honestly, this online game proves that the Dreamcast shouldn't be taken lightly. Think about it.....how many of us have played an online racing game on the PC, only to be hampered by constant lag and / or slowdown? I know I have. Well not with this title!

The Dreamcast proved that online racing games can be done correctly. Speed Devils Online features smooth-as-silk gameplay, responsive controls, tons of features, and best of all NO LAG! When you really think about it, the Dreamcast with SDO makes the PC look sad in comparison Cool

By the way Mythos, Alien Front Online ws also my first experience with Dreamcast online gaming. An excellent way to get aquainted, that's for sure!

Regardless of what happens with Sega in the future, all DC owners around the world should proudly hold their Dreamcasts up high.....we've got nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, we should all feel honored to know that we own an amazing piece of technology. A product that truly changed the videogame industry for the better, with long-lasting effects that will be felt anytime anyone plays an online console game, regardless of the console. Why? Because the Dreamcast did it first, and most importantly, did it best!

Technofungk
Posted:
Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:43 pm
quote : #9
You go Techno! Cool

On DCOG, I read a post that SDO is going offline June 24. WHY?! Mad

I just bought this game! Why doesn't POD go offline? No one even PLAYS that!!!!!! Mad

Excuse my French, but this is one very effing stupid decision! Crying or Very sad Mad

One of my fav. DC racing games go offline. Why does POD stay online while Speed Devils, the better of the two, goes offline?

All I gotta say is I'm boycotting Ubi Soft......